UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Unarmed vs Knife

10/24/05 10:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Oct-05
The CSPT

We spent all weekend (Fri night to Sun afternoon) filming most of a new video on Counter Knife. I brought together some instructor friends and clients to help with this project and it was a great shoot. The material will cover high line, middle and static attacks - slashes and thrusts. We still have more to film and the DVD should be ready in Dec. Demi
11/9/05 9:11 AM
theMachine23
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Nov-05
cool!
11/9/05 10:44 PM
Calbert

Edited: 09-Nov-05
TTT
11/10/05 3:54 PM
bigbrawler

Edited: 10-Nov-05
Did you teach any running techniques?
11/12/05 12:06 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Nov-05
The CSPT
Running is a valid option. The problem with running is that you can only run as fast as the slowest member of your party. The DVD will be ready in the next few weeks.
11/12/05 11:14 AM
finnfighter

Edited: 12-Nov-05
Its so tiring sometimes when youre trying to discuss self defense with ordinary folks or low level trad.martial artists who just do it for fun and ape everything the 20 year old brown belt thats teaching them says. Even after like half an hours chat they still start EVERY sentence with "well I would just run away...best defense style 100 meter hurdles....Fast feet are the best defense against a knife..." Its like talking with a zombie. It doesnt help when you say slowly and clearly that you ALREADY KNOW THAT, that its remarkably difficult to runaway in a elevator or your back against a wall, and NO, even though I have a shaved head and have competed in MMA, NO I dont go around challenging armed criminals to fistfights just for fun...JJJJEEEZUS.... It would be SO great if there excisted ONE forum where you can discuss unarmed vs. knife situations without the obligatory "I would just runaway" comments starting every second post.Again and again and again... Cause, you know, I have this WILD idea that most people on this forum sort of get that. P.S. No offence brawler...:)
11/16/05 2:12 PM
finnfighter

Edited: 16-Nov-05
*Sigh....*
11/25/05 9:40 PM
bigbrawler

Edited: 25-Nov-05
(The "Zombie" raises his hand) I said the running comment as sortof a joke. I also ment it kinda of seriously. I just see a whole thwack of instructors saying oh if somone tries to stab you do this and that. Like its a first option. Well I can tell you I have been stabbed in the stomach, I don't feel bad about running away from a dude tryin to stab me. I think before a technique should be taught the idea that theese won't always work and can actualy put you in a worse situation should be presented. Theese simply are a last resort. A complicated teqniqe is very hard to use in a real life situation. Its even more so when your trying to avoid somthing that can hurt you verses killing you. Or atleast it was for me. I kinda thought 4 years of jujitsu would help me more. I was wrong and have a scar on my gut for it. Iam a fan of a Mexican standoff personally. If a guy wants to pull a blade on me I wouldn't hesitate to shoot him in the chest till he crumples.
11/26/05 6:53 AM
finnfighter

Edited: 26-Nov-05
Yeah, I´ve seen the Tae-kwon-do techniques in Black Belt as well....I just have (probably mistakenly) a higher image of the average Weapons forum dweller.... And yeah, I also once thought that my FOUR years of jujutsu would of been more use to me in a straight -up fist fight....nope. luckily I turned to MMA after that.....
11/28/05 8:45 PM
StuMc

Edited: 28-Nov-05
Hey Finnfighter, I share your frustration bro. I even wrote an article about it. See the "Knife Defence Crowds" link at www.mobiusmartialarts.org Please let me know what you think either on the comments system or here on the board. Cheers, Stu.
12/1/05 8:49 AM
finnfighter

Edited: 01-Dec-05
Stu, I read the article (in a hurry) and think that you have managed to hit the nail squarely on the head. Couldnt agree more, in fact I really have nothing much to add to those types.Met them all, practically...(sacrificing the kid was a brilliant argument against the runner crowd..;) I´ll read it again, and read more on the site when I have more time. Seems very promising....:)
12/5/05 9:04 PM
StuMc

Edited: 06-Dec-05 12:08 AM
Thanks for reading Finnfighter. I look forward to any other comments you or anyone else may have. Stu.
12/6/05 1:20 AM
ukcblaze
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Dec-05
Hey Stu, Interesting article. I would like to clarify that Red Zone is from Centerline Gym and not Straight Blast though.
12/11/05 7:10 PM
StuMc

Edited: 11-Dec-05
Thanks Guys, ukc, edited with apologies. Cheers, Stu.
12/12/05 1:24 PM
Chuckk

Edited: 12-Dec-05
Excellent article Stu! Very well done!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.