UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> silat

10/25/05 1:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JonR
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Oct-05

I've noticed a few adds for a Silat school and I'm curious as to what Silat involves. Is it all weapons based or is there an unarmed style as well? Anyone have a view on the style?
10/25/05 3:02 PM
theMachine23

Edited: 25-Oct-05
it's the fighter, and the intensity of training, not the style, that make training worthwhile. i have done a little bit of silat and it's got its merits. it's also got its perils. a good portion of the moves are devastating and can't be practiced all-out. there's no sport aspect. the sarong is one weapon used, which is pretty cool, and i found it quite enjoyable.
10/25/05 5:03 PM
Stickgrappler
1578 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Oct-05 05:07 PM
there are many weapons i'm sure, like sarong, kris, and the kerambit/korambit. silat is a generic term just like "martial arts" or "karate". many many styles. ron balicki has a sarong vid out. steve tarani has a book plus vid series out on kerambit. i forget offhand the instructor's name, i'm sure Guro Steven L knows, but this instructor is affialiated with the Sayocs as well as his own system and may or may not be affiliated with Guro Ray Floro. he has a vid out too on kerambit. kermabit is held in "earth grip" and translates to "tiger's claw" - lot of hooking action. i have and like Guro Tarani's book, given that i believe that's the only book on the market that is publically available on the kermabit. edit: guro rick tucci also has a vid on the sarong.
10/28/05 10:03 AM
TONTO-Dpg

Edited: 28-Oct-05
"i forget offhand the instructor's name, i'm sure Guro Steven L knows, but this instructor is affialiated with the Sayocs as well as his own system and may or may not be affiliated with Guro Ray Floro. he has a vid out too on kerambit" His name is Tuhon Ray Dionaldo. You can purchase his kerambit material at www.fcskali.com You can also find his kerambit DVD at www.sayoc.com
10/28/05 2:06 PM
Stickgrappler
1578 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Oct-05
a big TY Ern!!
10/29/05 9:56 AM
membrane

Edited: 29-Oct-05
I have seen some of Tuhon Dionaldo's material. Tuhon Dionaldo comes off as a highly skilled kali/silat guy with a genuine interest in teaching his material. My opinion on the material is pretty much the same as my opinion on the Sayoc material. I like them from an "art" perspective but I seriously question their practical application. Very complex handwork that is (at least in the videos I have seen) trained with little footwork or realistic pressure. I'm guessing that their sparring looks very different from their drilling. Whether or not this is a bad thing is up to you, however. I don't consider it a positive thing. On another note, doesn't anyone else find statements such as "it's not the art but the fighter and the training" a bit weird. In theory this is true, but hypothetically even if you train a praying mantis kung fu guy with good training and conditioning methods and put him up against a mixed martial artist of comparable experience he will be crushed. Why? Because all arts are not equal. If this were true, it wouldn't matter if we did BJJ or TKD, as long as we trained hard and realisticaly. Of course one might argue that the actual "realistic training" will weed out unrealistic aspects and it will all boil down to the basic delivery systems for all ranges (as the SBG guys put it). But this means that the art will no longer be the same as you beginned with. Sorry for the rambling, guys. Just a few thoughts from the top of my head.
11/7/05 10:04 AM
Steven Lefebvre

Edited: 07-Nov-05
Hey Guys, Tuhon Ray Dionaldo, is a great guy and an incredible martial artist with a long history of actual application of his material. (You should his stick fights from the 80's etc!!) If you have the opportunity to work and train with him, you will know exactly what I mean! Membrane, All arts are not consider equal. But this does not mean they are not or cannot be effective. Not all arts are currently taught for combat nor should they be, each student comes to the martial arts looking for something they are interested in, some find it in Tai Chi Chuan, others through FMA or MMA training. Training, conditioning are all parts of a fighter's attribute and delivery system. But as we age not all things are done the way they were in our youth. Take Helio Gracie, Morihei Ueshiba, Jigaro Kano, Antonio Ilustrisimo...age changes the game plan to heighten things such as timing, distancing etc. But then again these men have countless hours in training and real world experience that brings to the "man" a unique perspective that cannot be taught any other way. As a final note to everyone, videos can only begin to open the teaching to a student. Go and work with a certified instructor or if possible the videos main man himself and see if the material presented works or not. Gumagalang Guro Steve L. www.Bujinkandojo.net

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.