UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> To fail or to drop

11/3/05 3:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
YVES JOCKSTRAP
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Nov-05

Ok guys here is my dilemma. This is my freshman year of college and so far I am doing well in all classes but Math. I missed an EXAM ("yeah i'll miss class today, just a lecture" so I am getting about a 30 (!!!!) percent in the class now. With four weeks left should I try and bust my balls to get it up to a C or should I just drop the class?
11/3/05 3:20 PM
OctaviousBP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you petition for a re-take? Did you have an abortion that day? Crack habit? Death of a family member? Gambling intervention? There's tons of reasons/excuses out there... do you have a sympathetic doctor willing to write you a note? Do you mind if your average is dropped down by a 60? Can you make the class up in the summer if you drop it? Lots of things to think about. I'd lean towards dropping. What happens if you mess up on the final as well?
11/3/05 4:24 PM
crescentwrench
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always did the drop and retake. 
11/3/05 5:00 PM
TapoutRookie
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bust ass for the C..cause starting all over is gonna suck and you will have to either add it on as extra or drop another class to sub that one in.
11/3/05 5:41 PM
jgibson

I think the #1 lesson you should learn from this experience is: DON'T SKIP CLASS....ESPECIALLY MATH!!!
11/3/05 11:21 PM
Andrew Yao

I would drop it, assuming you absolutely can't work out some kind of retake. Getting a C will mess up your GPA severely, and of course there's no guarantee that you will even get a C. This assumes you're shooting for having a very good GPA. Some people don't really care and just want to get the degree, and that's valid.
11/4/05 1:11 PM
GrandInquisitor
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-05
How could you raise your grade from a low F to a C in four weeks? Be realistic. If you are prone to missing classes, more than likely you are not going to put your nose to the grindstone and work your balls of to get a better grade (no offense). If you decide to take your chances and stick with the class, check and see if your school has a "second grade only" option. University of Iowa (where I go) has an option that you sign up for the second grade only plan and you retake the class, and only the second grade is taken in your GPA...the first is totally erased. Problem is, this is your only shot-if you fuck it up this time...you're fucked. I would probably drop the course and hope that I would work a little harder next semester. Things are so hectic the last month of the semester and trying to do a weeks worth of work every day to build yourself back up in one class (while you're doing all of the other end of the semester shit for all your other classes) is nearly impossible unless your caffine yourself up every day and night and work your dick off.
11/7/05 3:29 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 07-Nov-05
First off, where do you go to school that allows you to still drop classes in November? Droping a class is a pretty universal term from getting out of a class without it going on your transcripts. What you might be talking about (just under another name is withdrawing). If you withdraw from a class most school will mark the class on your records with a W, as a sign that you took it and withdrew. Again, where I was in school drop days ended the first week of classes and withdrawl dates ended at the very latest at midterms. If you missed one class and your grade is a 30 I would seriously consider if you belong in college at all. Hard to believe that a freshman math class would have one suprise grade that if you failed would make it all but impossible to pass the class. Something seems missing in this story... Talk to your advisor and your dean about a possible medical withdrawl or an incomplete if you were given the chance to make up the test. Good luck and hopefully you learned something from this. Because in most cases, one instance of a really bad grade can weed you out of certain programs, majors, or academic school ect.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.