UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Attn: Stickgrappler

11/3/05 3:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nottheface
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Nov-05

I know this is the wrong forum, but I don't know if you read the weapons forum. I'm looking to find a good school to learn how to use a stick but honestly know nothing about it. Are there certain organizations to look for, hallmarks of a good school, or even things to watch out for? I know weapons training is somewhat different in it's approach from empty hand, but I don't know what the difference is. I wouldn't know I was in a "McDojo" for years.
11/3/05 2:00 PM
Stickgrappler
1951 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Nov-05
i will move this thread to weapons forum after you post a reply to be sure you see this. for the record: when i have time to check mma.tv, i generally check in no order -- history, boxing, weapons, jkd, kickboxing, traditional, OG and GG. many factors come into consideration - first, where are you located? how much time do you want to commit or can commit? how much you willing to pay? do you want to train for propagation of the art? learning how to use a stick to compete? to kick @$$? do you want to spar right off the bat (no pun intended)? do you want to drill a lot first and then spar? you get the idea. generally the Filipino MA teach weapons first whereas many traditional MA will teach weapons after you show some skill in empty-hands. what i find cool with FMA is that you learn weapons first and working with weapons, you (to borrow Paul Vunak's line) supercharge your reflexes. also, it helps you tighten up your defense - leave that hand/arm/kick out there too long, you will get hit. you will learn to tighten up everything. there are other MA which may teach weapons first, but i'm most familiar with fma and of course, there are other styles which teach sticks. also with fma, you will learn that it doesn't matter completely that you are using a stick to do the tech, you are learning the motion. that same motion can be applied to other weapons and even emptyhands e.g. #1 in most FMA is the motion of right hander starting over shoulder and striking down diagonally. does it matter if you have a stick, staff, knife, ax, sword, whip, etc? no, it's the underlying motion. granted each weapon has different characteristics which make them unique and that has to be taken into consideration, but the underlying motion of a #1 aka caveman strike is the same as boxing's overhand right. there should be a whole bunch of threads on good vids/books etc in weapons forum if you want to check those out first. i don't know all the answers, but if you want to discuss in private, pls email me at stickgrapplerNOSPAM@inbox.com - take out the NOSPAM. i am sure others on the weapons forum will chime in and help out with recommendations.
11/4/05 6:31 AM
nottheface
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-05
Thanks Stickgrappler. I'm mostly interested in learning to use a stick. I've always been curious about FMA but never really had a chance to learn other than some cross training back in my Kempo days. I'm too old to have delusions of kicking ass and while I'm sure I would enjoy competition as a way to test myself that's not really a focus for me either. I did some full contact stick work with the giant padded suits and found it to be a blast, and would enjoy sparring in that or some other variation again. Honestly, I just want to learn for the sake of learning and to develop a certain amount of competence in the skills involved. I live in the Santa Clara CA area, work a fairly demanding job which basically means time is harder for me to come by than money. My background is in assorted TMA's especially CMA's, however, I really like the philosophy behind FMA. The idea that they're arts designed for "regular people" and not some warrior class or professional fighter but yet have the depth if one chooses to study them in depth really appeals to me. I'm over 30 and my dumb tough guy days are well behind me.
11/8/05 1:16 PM
Stickgrappler
1951 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Nov-05
sorry, been busy with work, haven't had a chance to check in until now. i'm not that familiar with CA other than to know that Marc Denny is there, Dan Inosanto is there, etc. sorry. come on members, help a fellow mma.tv'er out!!
11/14/05 2:12 AM
nottheface

Edited: 14-Nov-05
I don't know much about Marc Denny, but I think Dan Inosanto is in Southern CA. If anyone could tell me who's around S.F. I'd appreciate it. Heck, if someone could tell me what the tell tale signs of what a bad stick school should be I'd appreciate it. I mean other than the American Flag Gi, or people doing forms and drills to techno... or maybe that's a good thing?
11/15/05 8:54 PM
TenChiDo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Nov-05
Nottheface, I have been training in the South Bay Area for a few years: Places to consider: Suro Jason Inay, Inayan Escrima Los Gatos 408-866-0325 One of the best in South Bay; the real deal here! Pacific Coast Academy of MA This dojo is primarily Ken Ju Ryu and Dan Zan Ryu, but Shihan Rhodes is certified under the Inayan system and offers an Escrima class (at least he did in the past) Campbell 408-378-4790 Pacific Coast MA JKD/Kali Blend Offer FMA with stick San Carlos 650-245-4507 I train Kajukenpo with a few die-hard stick guys, and there are a few smaller schools in San Jose. I will get some additional information. Although I'm currently training MMA/BJJ, I have played with FMA stick fighting for years, including some DB-style training. Hope this helps. Regards
11/16/05 3:25 AM
nottheface

Edited: 16-Nov-05
Thanks! I'm looking to also get back into mma/boxing/bjj so if you know of any places in the South Bay I'd certainly appreciate it too. I'm in Santa Clara. I've heard AKA is great, but their schedule doesn't work with work.
11/16/05 10:38 AM
TenChiDo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AKA is a great school, but there are a few others in the South Bay. If you don't mind dropping your email address, I can provide some suggestions, as well as invite you to my school. Regards
11/16/05 9:12 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The CSPT
This school is in Santa Clara: http://www.scottsspa.com/
12/1/05 6:14 AM
nottheface

Edited: 01-Dec-05
my email's easy not_the_face@yahoo.com Thanks for the heads up about schools in Santa Clara.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.