UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Saltwater aquarium setup

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/4/05 6:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
amorphous
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-05

This sounds awesome, but I've heard the bigger tanks are real expensive. Like a 20 gallon is around 500. How much for a 50 or 100 gallon? I don't know much about this but once you actually buy everything, are they hard to maintain? I've also heard you need to introduce certain bacteria into the water before putting any pets in there. Do you also need to buy algae? Also, I would like some pretty fish, but what else can you get besides them? It would be awesome to have something like a small sting ray or an eel or something.
1/19/06 3:16 PM
john76
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jan-06
Saltwater tanks/reeftanks are addicting and get ridiculous expensive. This is the best site for info... www.reefcentral.com and my lame site for some pics... http://home.comcast.net/~john76/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
2/9/06 9:28 PM
Jay-dog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Feb-06
It's actually easier than ever and getting easier all the time!It does take more maintenance than a fresh but with ever improving filtration and products it's easier all the time!Once you have your system set up and it goes through"cycling" and you get the specific gravity,nitrate and nitrite levels and ph correct.You add small fish like damsels to get the biological filtration going.Once you get the proper setup it starts to take care of itself.Especially if you have a reef system.Of course it's a little more complicated than that and not everyon has such smooth sailing but I have seen more than one green beginner start an elaborate reef system and fair very well.
4/10/06 2:33 AM
lionsdengrappler
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Apr-06
I agree with john76, they are very addicting, its like a very pricey sickness. john what do you keep? I have mostly zoa's, some palypolyps, xenia, gsp, clovepolyps.
4/14/06 4:11 PM
john76
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Apr-06
I'm just getting all of my stuff back together. After I moved I had my whole setup in prop tanks in my basement. A lot of stuff died. I have a waiting list of people waiting for corals too... it's become a real PITA.
4/15/06 2:42 AM
GrandInquisitor
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Apr-06
I really want to get a tank with coral and anemone and some clown/imperetor angels, but the fact is is that I'm away from my apartment too much and I keep my place pretty cold (60F is warm for me) so I'd be running a huge risk of killing my pets. Keeping a salt tank is very expensive and difficult, but on the other hand, it is amazingly rewarding and beautiful when done right.
4/17/06 7:27 PM
lionsdengrappler
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-06
john76, I'm on reefcental aswell (evil_monkey), its a great site. I have just found a very large colony of pink zoas (100-150) for $45 at the LFS, but I have to wait to pick it up. I hope its still there.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.