UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Weapon(s) for the home (?)

11/9/05 9:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JKA Judo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Nov-05

I thought there was a thread here addressing this, but couldn't find it. I have decided I want to keep the OC spray for the home, but was wondering what are the pros/cons of a handgun vs a shotgun for inside the home.
11/9/05 9:10 AM
theMachine23

shotgun: hard to navigate around corners, not as many rounds handgun: easy to navigate around corners, multiple rounds
11/9/05 6:22 PM
GrandpaB

handgun: you are likely to take it with you when you answer the door in the middle of the night but not the shotgun. Same when the dog starts barking like crazy. Grandpab
11/11/05 6:30 PM
ryangruhn
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Nov-05 06:31 PM
Hand Gun Pros: Can be used in close quarters, Can be carried concealed, Can be shot effectively with one hand. Gruhn
11/11/05 9:49 PM
Grundy

Edited: 11-Nov-05
Well I personaly like a shotgun, but then again I live out in the stix, and do answer my door with it. Racking a shotgun also has a tremendous physcological effect. I like the load choice a shotgun offers also. However, if you leave it loaded you run the risk of the springs relaxing, it is rather large, and you may have to expend multiple rounds (I think a case here last year a guy had to shoot and intruder like 4 times with #8). A .357 is smaller, easier to carry, you can get different loads and don't have to worry about the springs, but unless you are using something like Hydrashok you need to know what is behind what your are shooting.
11/14/05 8:08 AM
JKA Judo

Edited: 14-Nov-05
With a handgun, I worry about going through an idiot and where the round will end up. A shotgun will be less likely to go through walls etc. Thanks for the responses.
12/2/05 7:17 PM
Gossamer

Edited: 02-Dec-05
Something else you might want to keep in mind as well is that it is harder to shoot a handgun as well as a long gun. Also handguns are not the most powerfull things in the world to use. A shotgun will deliver a lot more power into the target. I am fond of my handguns but for serious work a shotgun or rifle is better.
4/7/06 3:52 PM
Warmonger

Edited: 07-Apr-06
AK47! When you absolutely have to kill every mutha fucka in the room... accept no substitutes
4/8/06 5:47 PM
psychoslasher

Edited: 08-Apr-06
....or anyone else in the next room cause it's gonna turn the walls into swiss cheese :) I'd say get both. The shotgun being the primary and the handgun acting as a back up weapon. They both have their good and bad points. If someone had your wife or child hostage and, god forbid, you had to make the "hostage shot", the shotgun would be the wrong tool for the job. I wouldn't let the idea of the shotgun not punching holes in the wall be your primary concern. If anything, 00 buckshot will punch MANY holes in the wall whereas a pistol would just punch one. If you are that concerned, you need to get plastic bullets or something. If you fire your shotgun and hit the target, there still is a good chance of some shot going through the wall. With the pistol, you hit the target and unless it goes all the way through them (which most wouldn't), no rounds have the chance to penetrate the walls. If you aren't skilled enough with your pistol to be able to drop someone at a close range without spraying the room with rounds, you shouldn't own one IMO.
4/10/06 11:34 AM
cbgrappler

Edited: 10-Apr-06
machete
4/13/06 8:52 AM
Dark Knight
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Apr-06
Clint Smith (President and Director of Thunder Ranch) said a pistol is a tool used to fight your way back to your gun.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.