UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Sharpening Tips?

11/9/05 9:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Grundy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Nov-05

Anyone got any tips for sharpening blades? I recently got a Kukri and it is being a bitch to sharpen, my Lansky isn't cutting an edge on it worth a crap. I might need to go to a diamond stone, but I heard the Kukris were soft. I could set it up on a wheel, but that is rather expensive and not knowing what it is made of I am afraid of it losing its temper. I'm not sure what angle you guys recommend (currently doing a 25 degree angle. Also since I have the lansky I was wondering about my Coldsteel blades, I think they are 440 which is probably too hard for the stones. What do you guys think? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason
11/9/05 9:52 PM
rayfloro

Edited: 09-Nov-05
I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker.....BUT, I also got the optional "diamond hone rods"... I've tried most sharpening systems out there, but this one really suits me
11/10/05 11:14 AM
4 Ranges

Edited: 10-Nov-05
I haven't the foggiest on how to sharpen a khukri. Then again, I've read that they dont' have to be sharp to chop, so that's something to think about. As for your 440 cold steels, get a sharpmaker with diamond rods. Your life should be easier with this.
11/11/05 6:16 PM
Grundy

Edited: 11-Nov-05
Thanks for the advice guys, unfortunatley the sharpmaker is sold out at Spyderco and I will have to wait=(
11/15/05 4:32 PM
krept
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Nov-05
"Easiest way to sharpen, first dont let it get dull, strope it on cardboard, rub the edge backwards and it will polish it. Then to sharpen paint the edge black with a sharpie marker, and then use that to see the angle you are hitting it at, it should rub off the black " ditto, exacto. I like Spyderco's ceramic rods and although I have the Sharpmaker system, I just use the rods themselves to sharpen freehand. Create the wire edge (it'll feel like a burr) on one side then strop it off on a piece of cardboard or leather as mentioned. keeping the angle of the edge the same as you sharpen is critical... you apply this to any edge, from spearpoint to recurve, serrated, khukri, etc. The "systems" just help you keep a consistant angle as you sharpen the blade. keep in mind that if your blade gets dull, it could very well take 30 minutes or more depending on the steel to get it shaving sharp. cheers
11/18/05 7:15 PM
Grundy

Edited: 18-Nov-05
Well it was shipped to me unsharpened, I finally have it sharp, took like 2 weeks.
11/18/05 7:20 PM
sreiter

all my lansky's are diamond
11/18/05 10:08 PM
Grundy

My lansky is from ebay which is probably why it sucks, teaches me=(. The Kukri is also, but it is holding up like a champ (testing it on my neighbor's tree).
12/1/05 12:11 PM
ryangruhn
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Dec-05
May I recommend "Ray Mears - Extreme Survival - Knife Sharping." He goes in depth on what stones to use, along with the process. Gruhn

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.