UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Need to overhaul rifle

11/18/05 7:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jscorbett
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Nov-05

I am still hunting deer and hogs with the .308 - remington 788 - that I bought when I was 16 in 1981. It needs some attention. I have been thinking about having the stock refinished, texturizing the barrel and action, and replacing the tasco world class with a very good scope. Has anyone here had such work done? Any advice?
11/18/05 7:54 PM
jscorbett
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Nov-05

This is a photo of a remington 788.

11/22/05 8:46 PM
SteelTalon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Nov-05
Hello Jsc.., IMHO The 788 is one of the best actions around I have a few myself. If the rifle is in good shape and fires true then myself I would pretty much leave as is. Finishing the stock is fairly straight forward process however, it can not be rushed. Do it off season when you can spend the time needed, coat dry sand/ coat dry sand / coat dry sand etc etc etc. Tru-oil and Lin-speed (not boiled linseed) are two simple hand rubbing oils. "Linspeed" will give a beautiful "blonde" looking stock Tru-oil will give darker results I shop Brownells for my stuff. Coloring will also depend if your stock is birch wood or walnut. If your accuracy has fallen off, get the barrel bore scoped and the crown checked for damage. If the bore is good, then have the crown degree'd. Most accuracy problemm occur at the crown , that is if the bore has been kept poperly cleaned over the years. If you really want to drop dollars into it, you can build a bench gun around that 788 action. The problem in today's market is with the 788 trigger nobody offers aftermarkets for that action and used parts or new old stock are hard to find(springs and things.) The only weakness in the 788 is the bolt handle. It's absolutely POS weak, and more often than not will break if droped etc. and trying to find a replacement is tough (see above) or finding a smith that can re-weld it properly will be EXPENSIVE. My suggestion would be. Refinish the stock yourself, degree the crown, and blue it if you think it needs it. Place it in semi-retirement for your kid etc. Then upgrade to a Savage, a Remington, etc. in the same caliber or something new.. Spend as much as you possibly can on the Optics to perch upon it. Then save your dollars and buy a set of top end bino's for the field. Hope this helps.. Peace ST~
11/22/05 9:00 PM
jscorbett

Edited: 22-Nov-05
I was thinking about having the barrell and action anodized, along with having the stock refinished and buying a better scoope for it. What do you think about anodizing? thanks
11/23/05 10:26 AM
wheeels

Edited: 23-Nov-05
I've got a custom built .22-250 on a 788 action (with fluted stainless bull barrel). It's an absolute tack-driver.
11/23/05 11:07 PM
SteelTalon

Edited: 23-Nov-05
Hello Jsc.. It should look SWEEETT!... I've parkerized a couple of my handguns over the years and have always been satisfied with their look, and with the added corrosion protection. I would still have the barrel bore scoped to rule out problems before proceeding. You may decide to re-barrel the action. Shilen, Volquartzen many other choices are available. As "wheels" pointed out the fluted Bulls look nice, are lighter and function just as well as a solid bull. Purchasing the best top end Optics such as Schmidt and Bender, Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon (others)is the way to go. However alot of people get hung up over the price 3x/4X the cost of the rifle. The less paralax the better. IMHO the best "affordable" scope out there is the Simmons "ATEC" line (asphericle lense)again its about dollars available vs. functionality. I spend my money on the Bino's. For me what I expect out of my rifles and hand loads is MOA at 200 yards. This allows me to shoot with confidence to 400 yards. Where I hunt couse white tail and Kiabab mulies in Az long shots are the routine. Hope this helps.. NIce doe by the way.. Peace ST~
9/10/06 8:17 AM
jscorbett

Edited: 10-Sep-06
I picked up my 788 from the gunsmith today. He re-finished the stock and replaced the sling. I have topped it off with a Pentax 4.5-14x42. The gun really looks like new. Very sharp. I can't wait to site it in and take a hog with it.
10/1/06 2:09 AM
jscorbett

Edited: 01-Oct-06
I really don't want to spend another $1K for a nicer set up when I know this one is completely functional for the game I will be hunting.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.