UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Best kind of dog to get?

11/25/05 11:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RGJuJitsu
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Nov-05

Looking for opinions. We like english bulldog and rottweiler's. We are looking for a dog for companionship, a little bit of watchdoog, good with kids, won't bother my wifes allergies too bad. Any opinions? Thanks and I know this is for other kinds of pets, but I figure you all would know.
11/26/05 2:31 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Nov-05
Sounds like the english bulldog you mentioned might be the best fit. What kinda activity level are you looking for?
11/26/05 2:59 AM
RGJuJitsu
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

probably walk twice a day. Any other breeds I should look at? Thanks alot.
11/26/05 3:49 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What sorta size are you looking for? It's no big secret that i'm a huge fan of the bully breeds and wouldn't trade my Staffy-Bull for anything, but they aren't for everyone either. You need to be a special person and do a lotta research if you're gonna go that route but it's well worth it imo. If you wanna stay sorta small but with big dog personality a Boston Terrier is always a great choice too.
11/26/05 5:07 PM
RGJuJitsu

We want a bigger dog, when you say bully breed, do you mean like pitbull, bulldog, etc? What is a staffy-bully? We will walk at least 2x per day, we live in chicago, hot in summer cold in winter. We plan on having children soon. Thanks again for taking the time.
11/28/05 12:12 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 28-Nov-05
Also do you mean watchdog or guard dog? A Chihuahua can be a watchdog, it just boils down to alerting of a presence, while a guard dog will actually guard/protect. Anyways the allergies question only you can really answer, but Labrador Retrievers are excellent dogs if from reputable breeders. A good place to start is here and take the quiz to narrow down your choices: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
11/28/05 12:32 AM
Spankenstyne

Oh and Staffy-bull is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Similar ancestors as all the bull-and-terrier types (bully breeds) do, but they all branched off differently with different breed standards. The Staffy Bull is one of only two breeds to have written right into the standard to be good with children (I think Chesapeake Bay Retriever is the other), but like i said they need special owners who can handle a dog that might be smallish but is very strong and stubborn. My dog is only 15 inches tall but is also 40 lbs. You need a strong and outgoing personality to deal with and have under control these dogs who are also like that. There is always the potential for one to be dog aggressive (as all terriers can, but it's fairly rare in Staffy Bulls) and can you deal with your dog getting mistaken as a "pit bull" constantly. You need to be prepared to be a breed ambassador with the negative press pittys get that we also end up saddled with as a similar looking breed. This is not a burden everyone is prepared to shoulder and is not to be taken lightly. If you happen to end up with a dog aggressive dog then you need to be responsible enough to keep it away from other dogs for it's entire life. Make no mistake it will still love everyone so much it hurts, they love people to a fault, but that dog aggressive one will really just not like other dogs. If you fail the dog then you just add fuel to the fire, many people don't understand the difference between dog and human aggression even though they have nothing to do with one another. Me, i wouldn't have it any other way, i can't see myself ever owning another breed of dog. Every single day my Otis makes more and more converts, everyone who meets him are instantly charmed by him and his playful outgoing demeanor, he makes me laugh every single day and his enthusiasm and gusto for life never falters. This is a dog that does everything full out always. This isn't something that everyone is prepared to handle, it's a lot of work, but you get far more out of it in the end. Sorry about the long post but i love these little guys lol
11/28/05 9:34 PM
RGJuJitsu

Thanks so much for sharing bro, I really like the breed, I read up on it for like an hour this weekend, looked up breeders in Chicago and everything, but alas, the wife dosen't like the look. What do you think of the rhodesian ridgeback?
11/29/05 9:50 PM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 29-Nov-05
Great dogs as well, forum member Ridgeback is very educated on the breed i'd suggest contacting him. Any threads on the OG will just somehow twist into an anti-pitbull tirade by random members though lol. Couple of pics of my pooch and a sad pic lol
11/29/05 9:53 PM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 29-Nov-05 09:55 PM
Winkin' at the ladies "How *you* doin" Lastly a fave, but a weird angle so it makes his eyes look odd, and he was a bit younger. Still a cute pic though
11/29/05 10:46 PM
RGJuJitsu

Edited: 29-Nov-05
Man what a great looking dog!
11/30/05 12:29 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 30-Nov-05
Thanks, we just love him to death. His tail never stops wagging and he's such a clown. Got his first couple of points in a show last weekend too lol.
1/25/06 3:40 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 25-Jan-06
TTT for DevonMichael
1/25/06 9:35 AM
DevonMichael
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NIce pics. I bet he was drinking out of the fish bowl!!! Then you walk in the room and he's all like....oh hey master, I was just sitting here being a good dog.......LOL
1/25/06 1:26 PM
MasterGumHo

I have a Doberman. She's an awesome dog, but still very puppy-ish at 2 years old. She's a big, goofy, lap dog. With that, I would not trust her around children unattended. As sweet as she is, she still goes crazy and tries to murder my cat on occasion. Plus, she is not gentle. She likes to play rough, and she will do it with big or small dogs, so it makes me worry about what she might do to a child.
2/9/06 9:22 PM
Jay-dog

Edited: 09-Feb-06
APBT NUFF Said!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.