UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Role of UKE

11/29/05 12:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grapple00
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Nov-05

Lil' helpfolks. I'm writing an article for the kwoon newsletter about the role and value of Uke and would like to hear your thoughts on the subject. Thank you, Grapple00
12/12/05 6:57 AM
LeftBench
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Dec-05
Without a good uke, training can be terrible. I just took up judo and have found this to be extremely true. You can't practice with someone who resists when he's not supposed to, yet you don't want him to go limp like a wet noodle and not move either. Being a good uke is VERY important for quality training, IMO.
12/12/05 10:02 PM
grapple00

Edited: 12-Dec-05
LeftBench, I concur. WHat about when your uke doesn't..."participate". How do you (or your instructor) handle this?
12/16/05 1:53 AM
NORCALJUDOKA

Edited: 16-Dec-05

When your uke does not participate or resist's, it take 's a lot more effort and force to throw/submit or choke him and he will hit the ground at about 40 mile's per hour, break an arm, or pass out. He or she will learn that it is a better idea to be "light on the skids" or go with the throw, and tap early.

Uke's main role is to make Tori look good and let him practice the technique safely and with enough resistance to make it fairly realistic so that your used to the type of resistance when it is time to radori.

Uke's other function is to provide for his own safety and make sure that they tuck their head and breakfall or take the technique correctly.

Hope this help's....good luck,

Keith

12/31/05 9:44 PM
johnnykage
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Dec-05
Uke

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.