UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> International Relations Theory

11/29/05 12:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OctaviousBP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Nov-05

A thread on the OG got me thinking... (imagine that...) for all you Poli Sci majors out there, or others with an interest in IR, what theory do you see as most valuable to comprehending contemporary world order, or problematizing global issues? I'm thinking in terms of: Neo-Realism, Neo-Liberalism, Game Theory, Social Constructivism, Idealism, Historical Materialsim, Anarchy, etc. In essence, theoretical models that help provide a lens for viewing international issues.
11/29/05 4:24 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 29-Nov-05
paging Hekster..
12/2/05 1:18 PM
hekster

Edited: 02-Dec-05
zwooop. Def. not neo liberalism. That is only for states with advanced institutional development (Ido Oren does a mean critique of the idea of democratic peace too). Neo-realism has its pluses for speaking about power but, like any theory, it has its area where it does well and then it has areas where it doesn't explain shit (there is a guy at u of indiana named Isaac that is a good rep for neo-realism). Game theory is only useful where you can identify interest with absolute certainty. Social constuctivism is great for talking about norms and identities, but it tends to ignore the limits of that process. So I would say that the theory you pick depends on what aspects of order you perceive as being most problematic(theories are tools, you bust out the one that fits the situation). Just give up on a theory that covers everything. This is true for virtually any social science. Now if I had to pick 3 theories that covered the bases, I would pick Neo-realism, World Systems Theory and Social Constructivism. One for Power, One for Economics, and One for Values. Which are of course all interrelated, but its easier to understand if you separate them into cohesive theories. It's probable that I will end up in grad school at Florida International University, where all the social constuctivists have tenure.
12/2/05 9:46 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 02-Dec-05
lol, have fun there
12/4/05 8:19 PM
Subadie

Edited: 04-Dec-05
Did any of you ever read F. Paul Wilson's "Enemy of the State." (Not related to the recent pop movie)I am re-reading it now. This is a classic sci-fi book, and like many of the best sci-fi books, it is at heart a book of political philosophy, esp re the freedom of individuals in a state vis a vis the control by the state of the individual. If you are going to be a poli-sci student, you owe it to yourself to read this book.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.