UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> How to stay up all night?

12/6/05 3:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
YVES JOCKSTRAP
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Dec-05

Two finals tomorrow and a final essay due tomorrow as well. Still feel like I need to study quite a bit. How do you guys manage to stay up all night studying? By midnight I am tired and thinking of ways that I can just study in the morning. Coffee and soda isnt really helping much. Ideas?
12/6/05 4:06 PM
oldnslow
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't study in bed. Make sure you are sitting up. Keep the room cool. Take frequent walks. Snack, but don't overeat. Nothing makes me sleepier than a full stomache. Don't just read. Write notes or make flash cards to drill on. The physical act of writing or drilling the cards will help keep you up. Good luck. I am returning to school after working 9-5 for a couple of years. It will be hard to adjust to the late night studying again. I get tired at 10pm now.
12/6/05 7:04 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you very much
12/6/05 8:51 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP

caffeine? how much does it take to make a dif?
12/6/05 10:54 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP

ttt
12/6/05 11:14 PM
Tommy Gunnz
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cocaine IMO
12/6/05 11:19 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP

thx
12/7/05 2:03 PM
oldnslow
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Dec-05
A couple cups of coffee or soda help keep me up, but too much makes me very jittery and unable to concentrate. Everyone has a different tolerance.
12/7/05 3:20 PM
Power Paw
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Dec-05 03:21 PM
" Two finals tomorrow and a final essay due tomorrow as well." don't stay up, you won't be thinking very clearly and you will probably get questions wrong that you already know because your mind just doesn't work right from test-taking tips website: "Maintain healthy living habits. Get a good night's sleep before the test." an article on sleep from a health site: "Avoid all-nighters. Don't wait until the night before a big test to study. Cutting back on sleep the night before a test may mean you perform worse than you would if you'd studied less but got more sleep." from a CNN article on how sleep is "essential for creativity" http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/01/21/sleep.creativity.ap/ "The German study is considered to be the first hard evidence supporting the common sense notion that creativity and problem solving appear to be directly linked to adequate sleep, scientists say. Other researchers who did not contribute to the experiment say it provides a valuable reminder for overtired workers and students that sleep is often the best medicine."
12/7/05 7:52 PM
jgibson

Edited: 07-Dec-05
All-nighters don't work in the sciences and engineering.
12/11/05 10:16 PM
MITman2k
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Dec-05
I wouldn't go quite that far jgibson, its not a good idea for tests, but virtually everyone I knew at my college did it at least once or twice during a semester to finish problem sets. As a chemical engineering major, I've done several of them during my senior design project, heck bascially everyone in my major did for that class too lol.
12/11/05 10:18 PM
MITman2k
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Dec-05
As far as techniques for staying up, a cola followed by a frappuchino does the trick for me. Although I've found that if I can just stay up till about 2am ,I start to get a "second wind" and can go through the rest of the night without help
12/12/05 1:56 AM
jgibson

Edited: 12-Dec-05
All-nighters for problem sets: Hell Yes. All-nighters cramming for tests: No.
2/2/06 6:24 PM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Feb-06
jgibson and cajones are right on about tests. For most everything else, there's a supplement I like called Lipo-6. It combines traditional thermogenics (caffeine and some aminos) with yohimbine (a vasodilator). The formula is sound, get some uppers in your w/some vasodilation to spread it through your body. Don't touch this stuff if you have ANY cardiovascular conditions and make sure to drink lots of water so the caffeine doesn't dehydrate you. But anyway, with this stuff I'm able to stay awake 24 hrs straight no problem if I have to. 12+ hours shifts day in and day out as an ER Tech in a hectic emergency room were no problem at all. Lipo-6 is very expensive. If I need it again, I'll probably try to recreate the effect with separate supplementation of yohimbine and thermogenics. No need to make the supplement co's any richer than I have to. Of course as a long-time moderator on the Strength & Conditioning forum on this site I feel obligated to tell you this is certainly a VERY unhealthy thing to do to yourself. Ideally, we'd manage our work, homework, responsibilities, and be in bed by 10 every night and never even TOUCH thermogenics.
2/14/06 7:42 PM
MMAvIsTerrible

Edited: 14-Feb-06
i pulled an all night cram session for my torts exam and it was my highest grade last semester. usually i dont need anything for one all nighter, but if i am pulling two in a row then i will usually drink a shitload of green tea(dont like coffee, but that would probably work better). thankfully i havent pulled a double all nighter since college, and i only had one regular all nighter last semester.
2/16/06 9:45 PM
Greggie

Edited: 16-Feb-06
I disagree with much of the above 'no-all-nighters-before-tests' wisdom. It all depends on where you are with your studying. If you're ahead of the game the night before the exam, then yeah, by all means just go to bed. But I've also been enough of an ass to put myself in a position where I am seriously underprepared the night before, and can honestly say that the all nighter saved my butt. My mineralogy final in college was that way. The course had given me trouble all semester, and the night before the final, one of my friends came to realize something that put a lot of stuff in perspective and helped us all to do fairly well with the exam. I think I got a 93 or something, which was at least 10% higher than any other grade I'd gotten in an exam in that class. Now, it goes without saying that it is better to have your studying done a few days in advance, but we all know how that goes. Greg
4/24/06 3:52 AM
FightFan424

Edited: 24-Apr-06
ttt
11/8/06 10:44 PM
robs42

Edited: 08-Nov-06
coke, imo, out!
11/13/06 12:37 AM
amorphous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Nov-06
ttt
11/13/06 3:56 AM
thuglife

Edited: 13-Nov-06
aderol
11/14/06 5:32 PM
Tyson86
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Nov-06
"But I've also been enough of an ass to put myself in a position where I am seriously underprepared the night before, and can honestly say that the all nighter saved my butt." Completely agree. The articles are basically saying to study ahead of time so you don't have to do an all nighter... which is completely true. But every single one of has been stupid enough to leave it all to the last day every once in a while, and no one will convince me that I would have done better on my exams if I had gotten a full night of sleep instead of doing an all nighter. I figured things out at about 4am that I didn't understand all year... and had I gone to bed, I would have gotten all those questions wrong.
2/5/07 1:17 AM
rkjmd

Edited: 05-Feb-07
ttt
2/7/07 9:50 PM
rkjmd

Edited: 07-Feb-07
NoDoz
2/9/07 10:57 PM
Buddhadev

Edited: 09-Feb-07
I'm not saying that being well-rested and having no clue about the material on the exam is better than pulling an all-nighter and being tired, but at least familiar with the material. I agree completely that if you've been slacking all quarter/semester, then you should absolutely pull the all-nighter and at least give yourself a chance.
2/12/07 11:54 PM
rkjmd

Edited: 12-Feb-07
You can sleep when it's all over.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.