UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Anyone here published?

12/13/05 4:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FiatLux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Dec-05

Has anyone here ever published an article (peer reviewed or otherwise) or authored a book? Please share your experiences.
12/14/05 1:57 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 14-Dec-05
I just wondered how people all of sudden got started or knew where to send certain things. For whatever reason I feel like I'm already behind.
12/14/05 10:06 PM
asdf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Dec-05
Agree w/Cajones. Work w/a prof and do research with that prof. If the research is good enough, it'll get published. You will see it is pretty straightforward.
12/15/05 12:18 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 15-Dec-05
I've finished undergrad and am in the process of applying to grad school. None of my previous profs had interests in helping my research or co-authoring something. I've submitted 2 artilces for publication in university historical journals, but that seems very much like a dead end.
2/2/06 11:40 PM
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Feb-06
ttt
2/3/06 1:49 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Feb-06 02:05 AM
For the record... that is some really bad poetry. I am still trying to understand how those people thought they could make money with that stuff.
LOL coffee, that's awesome! Reminds me of that physics professor who submitted a prank nonsensical paper to a postmodernist literary journal because he correctly suspected that they were full of crap and would publish ANYTHING. He was able to get it published. It's one of the funniest things you could ever read. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or the professor's name or have a URL to it? ASDF, maybe? (For real, I'm not mocking you this time; have you heard of it? If you haven't I think you'd like it a lot.) Edit: I found it here. Highly recommended!
10/20/06 9:03 AM
eabeam
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Oct-06
Getting on an editorial review board for a psych journal. Not published yet.
10/25/06 5:26 PM
tourist
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Oct-06
I've published a bit. Maybe 20 peer-reviewed articles or something like that. I try to do around 2 per year, but sometimes only get 1 out. I have a contract for a book that is taking me forever to finish. I feel bad about that, but I almost had it finished after a 6-month sabbatical and got burned out on it and now it's so out of date I have to start over. I presented a paper at Cornell a couple of weeks ago that will be published shortly. I've earned tenure at 2 Big Ten universities. Once you get the routine down it's not such a big deal.
10/25/06 5:28 PM
tourist
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Oct-06
There was a Canadian physicist who was in charge of editing a journal issue based on a conference's proceedings - he was a bit of a crackpot and slipped in an article that showed incontrovertible evidence that mothers should not work. He had made it all up and got busted. This was back in the mid-90's.
10/26/06 12:02 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 26-Oct-06
any advice?
10/26/06 3:52 AM
Jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Oct-06
"Reminds me of that physics professor who submitted a prank nonsensical paper to a postmodernist literary journal because he correctly suspected that they were full of crap and would publish ANYTHING. He was able to get it published. It's one of the funniest things you could ever read." That shit cracks me up. Dawkins wrote an article about it- click
11/29/06 2:24 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 29-Nov-06
Screw it, I'm shameless enough to bump my own thread again. I've found a journal that I want to submit an article to. I have over and month until the deadline, and I'm hoping to get additional feedback from my professor. I'm starting to wondering what the difference is between a good class paper and something that is worth being published... Do people normally send the same paper to different journals kinda like a buckshot approach to resumes?
11/29/06 7:07 AM
cakegirl
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Nov-06
I work as an academic editor. Most of our clients are from non-English speaking backgrounds, and we get the papers ready to be submitted. The best advice I can give you is to go nuts making sure your work is formatted *exactly* the way the journal wants it. Some journals are so weird with their requirements, but if you don't meet them, they'll kick you out. It's NOT always about the science or the content. Some journals are like "We us US English, except "Acknowledgements", which we want spelt the British way", etc.
12/4/06 5:53 PM
ironmongoose

Edited: 04-Dec-06
I have had about four co-author credits. In only two cases did I do any writing at all. It just happens when you work with most decent profs, they'll tell you how to revise the stuff and may even send it in for you. cakegirl's right--the formatting's a pain in the butt.
10/10/07 1:35 PM
jaseprobst
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Oct-07
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.