UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Advice: X-country Trip! Hiking...

12/13/05 9:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SyrioForel
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Dec-05

Hello, I am taking 3 weeks this summer and going cross country with my wife and my 2 dogs. We were planning on hitting National Park after National Park and going back country camping, hiking, etc. After looking at the gov't websites, it is seeming that National Parks are not allowing dogs on most trails or in the back country. Fortunately National Forrests are seeming to have no problems with it. We will be starting in Massachusetts and ending up in Grand Canyon. I am not minding a circuitous route. Does anybody have any suggestions for forrests/specific spots that are a MUST to be visitting. Also, I am knowing "official" rules are quite different than enforced ones, so any dog friendly national parks that you are knowing of would be appreciated... We are particularly interested in Glacier, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Grand Canyon. All input is welcome though. Thank you.
12/14/05 4:36 PM
SyrioForel
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Dec-05
I've gotten that a bit. What is insane about this trip. I am not understanding.
12/15/05 8:26 AM
SyrioForel

Edited: 15-Dec-05
haha! I am being lucky to have a very good marriage and for us to actually enjoy long stints of being isolated together.
12/22/05 1:59 AM
Cire
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Dec-05 01:59 AM
I posted this in another thread, but added a little more. If you are Car Camping(family), all of the major National Parks(Yellowstone, Grand Canyon) are good. If you are doing some backcountry excursions, check out the Weminuche Wilderness, east of the Durango/Silverton Railroad. I have done 100 mile trips twice there and never saw another person outside our groups after the first day. Excellent country for flora & fauna viewing, but only for experienced backpackers. Another great family and/or backcounty trip is Big Bend National Park in West Texas. BB is my favorite place to go. I have been 8 times, and never get bored. It is desert mountain camping. The summer temp can vary 70ºF from day/night, so be prepared for anything. You can camp in the basin and hike tons of trails for daytrips, or you can do long excursions with a very high lvl of difficulty. In the basin I have seen nearly every trip: deer(white tail and mule), foxes, hyenas, boars, and lots of other creatures. I have also seen bear and mountain lions a couple of times in the back country. A really fun excursion is the Boundry Waters of Minnosota and Canada. You can canoe the 10,000 islands. Lots of great fishing and wildlife viewing, but you do need to be experienced in this type of camping. What type of trip are you looking for? If you are interested let me know, I will get you more info.
12/22/05 9:03 AM
SyrioForel

Edited: 22-Dec-05
Cire, What I am concerned about is my 2 dogs. As far as I can tell national "parks" are not allowing dogs. National forrests are though. We really just want to travel around, do some hiking in various parts of the country, and maybe summit a 14,000 footer or two.
12/22/05 12:50 PM
Cire
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is your experience? The Weminuche Wilderness is pet friendly with lots of high peaks crossing the Continental Divide. The only problem I would see with your dogs out there is wildlife. There are lots of bears in the WW. If your dogs are obediant, this is not really a problem, but could help with safety. The loop we do is, 110 miles(10 day & 14 day trips). We peak at 13,300', but there are 14s in the area. Depending on where you go the trails can be excellent to nearly non-existant.
12/22/05 1:27 PM
SyrioForel

I have taken plenty of hiking and mountaineering trips. I am experienced in most everything but glacier travel. My dogs and I compete in obedience competitions, but they will be kept on a lead anyway being that they were bred for tracking animals like bears and catching them. I will take a look at the site.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.