UnderGround Forums

Iowa Underground >> Academies for seminars in IOWA?

12/19/05 3:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
fruhzs
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Dec-05 03:35 AM

Hey friends! Im Mauricio Shogun and Murilo Ninja's seminar manager, and we do USA seminar tours every now and then in the USA, and the Iowa scene seems interesting from what I have been checking. However, we were never invited by any academies to do seminars in the state. If anyone can help me out, out of curiosity and looking for the future, and tell me what are the main cities/academies that could hold a seminar with the Rua brothers in the future, and if you think that would have a good turn out! Thanks a lot! edualonsomm@gmail.com Eduardo Alonso.
12/19/05 1:02 PM
DevonMichael
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Dec-05
FUCK YEA!!!!! I don't know where but that would be sick as shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOmeOne HElP!!!!
12/19/05 6:14 PM
fruhzs
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks man!
12/19/05 6:50 PM
DevonMichael

I got a friends basement that we train in...will that work??? LOL????
12/19/05 6:52 PM
fruhzs

Lol =) Who knows. What's the biggest city in Iowa, and isn't there any big academy anywhere aroud?
12/19/05 8:11 PM
DevonMichael

Well Miletich obviously, Des Moines has a large school where Josh Neer Trains, There is another Bjj school in Des Moines too. Greg Halzor in Waterloo Iowa, he often has Jeff Curran down to to Seminars, he would be your best bet, don't know if he would be interested though! I would certainly be willing to help out with him on it. Leave him a message on here his name is HALZ here on the UG. Come on Greg, help us out! I live in Cedar Rapids, I duno of many places, possibly New Life Gym would let us, or Maybe the University of Iowa????
12/19/05 10:57 PM
fruhzs

do you think there's enough people that might attend it to justify doing a seminar?
12/20/05 7:55 AM
ScottB12

Edited: 21-Dec-05 10:51 PM
Des Moines Jiu Jitsu Academy, Chris David, Purple Belt one strip under Caique, 515-267-0278 or Iowabjj@mchsi.com
12/20/05 8:05 AM
DevonMichael

Edited: 20-Dec-05
how many people would you need do you think?
12/20/05 11:57 AM
Keoni

Im Mauricio Shogun and Murilo Ninja's seminar manager, and we do USA seminar tours every now and then in the USA, and the Iowa scene seems interesting from what I have been checking. " Do you even know how much ass this would kick? Obviously the biggest school is Pats place, and while other schools have gained some attention in the midwest no one has to my knowledge gotten to the size or prestige of Pats place. I would hate for them to fly all the way to Iowa to do a seminar and have turnout be so low that it wasnt worth their time. Thats probably why you havent been invited. I know the guys who train with me would love to have an experience like that. How many attendees would it take to make it a worthwhile venture? Depending on price, if it was close to Cedar Rapids (2nd biggest city) I could easily have 4-7 guys myself to go.
12/20/05 3:58 PM
fruhzs

Keoni, That's a good question. Depends a lot on the price, etc. Usually we have our own deal with the academy, they decide how much to charge, and if they have profit over our purse, we're happy for them! However it also bennefits the academy in terms of Advertisement, reputation, etc. And sometimes attracts new students for it that say training there after the seminar is gone. But, from experience, it would need somewhere between 20 to 30 to try to break even, if we go "low" on purse, or if we do any other arrangement, depending on the price. for this time around, the schedule is closed. But I had to left some places behind, so I'm thinking about coming back to the USA again in 2006, to do places we couldn't do this time, so that's why it's important to know =) Eduardo Alonso.
12/20/05 7:59 PM
Keoni

I dont have much space, not enough for 20-30 but if I did I would be all for it. I wish there where more seminars in Iowa.
12/21/05 12:15 AM
Halz

Edited: 21-Dec-05
We could do 20 to 30, we had 20 for the last Curran seminar, the problem is that getting people to come.  Lots of people say that they will come and them have to back out for finacial or personal reasons and that leaves the promoter holding the cost difference.  Would I pay for it? Hell yes, do I want to put my neck on the line for it?  That is another story.  Getting 30 people here from all across Iowa for a seminar is a lot harder than it sounds.
12/21/05 1:02 AM
fruhzs

I understand what you say! The difference I think, is that we take that as a serious profession. We are professionals at seminars. I came a long way to explain and teach to Ninja and Shogun that this business can be very important to them, cause they can't live on their fighting money, cause this will end someday. So that's why we take seminars so seriously and tried to bring a very good product. Cause appart from being a good fighter, you gotta be a good instructor, and willing to teach! That's why we have been doing seminars back and forth in more than 15 countries and coming back to those places we have been before! We have absolutely NO problem in going to Iowa, and we wouldn't "back down", because since we take this as a profession, we always schedule long tours, like we are doing now, accross the countries and continents ( in Europe's case) we go to. So it's worth for us, and Iowa would be in the middle of the mix. Usually, because of the international traveling costs that WE cover (brazil-usa-brazil) we require a pre-determined fee for our seminars, (nothing high as some others though lol) however, in Iowa's case I think we would need to work in a different way, like "betting" on a good attendance to make it all worht it. I think it could happen! Eduardo.
12/21/05 8:55 AM
DevonMichael

I would be in for sure, Chute Boxe is my Fav camp!!!! NO WAY I would miss this seminar! I'd donate a lung if I had to!
12/22/05 11:47 AM
Keoni

Edited: 22-Dec-05
"We could do 20 to 30, we had 20 for the last Curran seminar, the problem is that getting people to come. Lots of people say that they will come and them have to back out for finacial or personal reasons and that leaves the promoter holding the cost difference." A legitamite concern. I however know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you would have 4-5 guaranteed guys from my camp without question. What other people would show I cannot say but we would be in as long as the seminar was fair in price. Chute Boxe is one of our favorite camps.
12/22/05 4:54 PM
fruhzs

Edited: 22-Dec-05
That's right. I plan on starting to plan the next tour soon, for likely around mid-year or something, and then we can already start to plan in advance on how to do it properly, and be sure we would include Iowa in the tour. One of our goals with seminars is also to take the sport and our game to new places, reaching people that others wouldn't, it's the least we can do!
12/31/05 9:18 AM
Miller

Edited: 31-Dec-05
I'd go
12/31/05 7:18 PM
Halz

Keoni,

If you want to back it, you can use our place to host it. Actually that goes for anyone.

12/31/05 8:03 PM
fruhzs

Where is your academy located Halz?
1/1/06 4:57 PM
Halz

Edited: 01-Jan-06
Waterloo
1/5/06 1:51 AM
fruhzs

Edited: 05-Jan-06
Halz, Im sorry for my ignorance, but how close to the state capital Waterloo would be? Eduardo.
1/6/06 10:02 PM
Halz

Edited: 06-Jan-06
No problem Eduardo, easy to understand.  It is about 2 hours North East from the state capital.  Des Moines, the capital, has more mma fighters in it with one BJJ school and 2 or 3 mma clubs/schools.  We have one BJJ school with a handful of people that fight MMA.  Miletich academy is about 3 hours away from Des Moines and it is hard telling if they would want to come.  Personally, even if Miletich is one of the top academys in the world I do think that they could get a few pointers from Ninja and Shogun from Chute Boxe.  I am not a MMA fighter myself, but it would be fun to go to see Ninja and Shogun and get some fighting pointers just for good self defense and to help out my students that do fight.  Thanks so much for your interest.
1/6/06 11:09 PM
fruhzs

Edited: 06-Jan-06
Once we did a seminar in Holland, me and Ninja without Shogun (That was back in 2003) and Alistair Overeem went to the seminar. He didn't practice, but paid and watched it all. I thought of it as a good attitude, because now the world is one "Big country" and everybody can learn a bit with everybody. We didn't mind it, and thought it was a sign of respect. Plus we don't hide stuff, so I think Miletitch fighters should go, and leave egos behind, as everybody's in the same "team", as we all make our living out of MMA, and no one is better, but we can learn different things or details from anyone.
1/8/06 3:16 PM
Quik
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jan-06
Six Deuce Gear
fruhzs, can you drop me an email at craig.house@gmail.com when you have a chance? It is in regards to sponsorship. Thanks!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.