UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> philosophy and policy connection?

12/20/05 6:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FiatLux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Dec-05

What do you think is the connection between philosophy and public policy? I started wondering about this today. Problem-solving measures have to come from somewhere before they are written into law... It seems like a "new" philosophy could be the solution to a range of current problems. However, it seems no one is writting progressive philosophy that would seriously alter our current social or political course. Also, it appears that even if this were the case, most elected officals would be unaffected by such seminal ideas and resort back to the status quo.
12/20/05 6:39 AM
Dogbert

Edited: 20-Dec-05
There is some impact of philosophical "research" on poverty and inequality measurements.
12/21/05 5:21 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 21-Dec-05
I guess im getting at something more like whats going on now with the neo con movement that can very clearly be traced back to Leo Strauss.
12/21/05 8:10 AM
Dogbert

Edited: 21-Dec-05
Well, Greenspan was a Ayn Rand groupie...
12/24/05 8:23 AM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 24-Dec-05
Peter Singers "One world" is an interesting book that deals with that crosssection. I just started reading it the other day. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0300103050/qid= 1135430464/sr=8-7/ref=pd_bbs_7/102-0075100- 9148176?n=507846&s=books&v=glance
12/25/05 7:15 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 25-Dec-05
ttt
12/26/05 2:33 AM
Socrates

Edited: 26-Dec-05
"I guess im getting at something more like whats going on now with the neo con movement that can very clearly be traced back to Leo Strauss." Can you clarify this? What about the neo-con movement is "Straussian"? Do you think that the neo-cons understand Strauss, or are they acting out of a misunderstanding of Strauss?
12/27/05 7:42 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 27-Dec-05
Just that students of Strauss (Paul Wolfowitz and Alan Bloom) seem to have effected the current administration
12/27/05 11:20 AM
Socrates

Edited: 27-Dec-05
Even if one grants that students of Strauss have effected the current administration, it does not mean that they have done so in a manner that Strauss would have approved of. Why is it significant that some "students of Strauss" have effected the administration, unless you also think that Strauss' philosophy has something to do with their policy decisions. Is that what you mean? If so, I think you need show the the connection between aspects of Strauss' philosophy and various policy decisions, because I see no connection at all.
12/30/05 9:33 PM
Subadie

Edited: 30-Dec-05
If scientists can have applied science, why should we not be permitted applied philosophy. Perhaps arguments of Public Policy can be a place to bring applied philosophy. It can help everyone understand the terms being used, and thus clarify issues of real import. For a beautiful application of philosophy in just such a way, see: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0465037054/002-5772406-8183205?v=glance&n=283155
3/22/06 4:34 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 22-Mar-06
"Why is it significant that some "students of Strauss" have effected the administration, unless you also think that Strauss' philosophy has something to do with their policy decisions. Is that what you mean?" Perhaps I'm at what could very well be the intersection between coincidence and a possible deeper meaning. I honestly have no clue. The concept that I find interesting is the notion of some sort of academic lineage finding it way into influencial positions in the public policy arena. Though unrelated, these were the same kind of thoughts I had back before the 2004 presidential primaries when I realized that Bush, Kerry, Liberman, and Dean, all either graduated from or spent time at Yale University...
3/22/06 9:24 PM
dnwsr

Edited: 22-Mar-06
i'm working in what i consider to be "applied" philosophy (political theory). i call it that because it deals a lot with practical governmental policy and isn't quite as abstract as some philosophy. it is hard to argue that philosophy has not had an impact on everyday life. usually though, we tend to study "larger" issues and underlying causes (instead of focusing on specific policies). so, for instance, you'll get a theory explaining the mass movements (political religions) of the 20th century or islamic terrorism. obviously if you can understand the root of the problem, you have a better chance of devising a policy to prevent it. Machiavelli, Locke, Plato, Strauss, Voegelin, Arendt, Rawls, etc. all deal in political philosophy and its hard not to see the "practical" implications of a lot of their works. in a way, you can say political theory "builds" government (overarching theoretical foundation), but its generally left up to others to "run" it (the detailed, everyday policies).
3/24/06 5:40 PM
Socrates

Edited: 24-Mar-06
thirdleg- Sorry, I don't use instant messenger. I'm pretty behind the times; my occasional posts here represent the extent of my computer knowledge. I'm pretty sure my typing speed (or lack thereof) would defeat the purpose of instant messenger. However, I would be happy to try to answer any questions you might have. Feel free to shoot me an mma.tv email, although I've never used this feature... I'm sure I can figure it out :) Or you could start another thread with your questions. Anyway, I'm intersted in what you have to say, so I hope to hear your questions one way or another.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.