UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Tricks around INTIMIDATION

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shine4all2c
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

I am new to tournaments and am going to one in a few days. For some reason, I'm easily scared by the looks of an opponent. Things like bald heads, muscles, height, tatoos, logos all over gi's, etc..make me think, "I'm gonna die". I know this is bad because many of these people are probably just as scared of me (although I have none of the above)and by letting these thoughts into my mind I kind of start losing before I even grapple. Can you suggest any tricks to ignoring those signs and/or enter a match without FEAR?
safe

Hello Shine,Everyone experiences fear to some degree when entering a competition or during a confrontation.The key to being able to deal with fear is to understand your fear and know how to channel it to your advantage.I believe that coach Blauer will inform you that you do not want to work on getting to the point where you have no fear,but rather you want to know fear.The more you train with fear present and the more you understand why you fear certain things the more you will be comfortable dealing with that fear.Tatoos,bald heads,logos on gi's are all factors that fall under the acronym for fear called false evidence appearing real.For some reason you have mentally convinced yourself that opponents with bald heads,tattoos or certain gi's are bad to the bone.You need to ask yourself,"why to I believe this and where does that belief come from?"What experiences have you had in the past that convince you that these things make someone tougher than another oppponent who is clean cut with a plain uniform and no tatoos.It would benefite you to find sparring partners with these characteristic to spar with before your next tournament so that you can directly face these fears in a controlled environment and assess wether these things really make much of a difference in fighter's abilities.I believe that you will find that appearances give you little information on how bad someone is and that you have allowed your preconcieved notions to make these things more important than they should be.I would suggest that you purchase Coach Blauer's cerebral self defense and metacognition audios as well as The ABCs of self defense tape.The rape safe tape is also excellent,pay special attention to the cycle of behavior which is on the rape safe tape.I hope this was of some help and I'm sure that Coach Blauer will have much to add to this since I am just an amatuer at his concepts at this time.Take care.Rich.
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Great answer Rich. Since you are competing in a few days, just remeber this: "The difference between the hero & the coward is what they do with their fear, both feel it, but one does something with it." -Cus D'Amato Often times the shaved head and tattoo is part of a 'look'; and if truth be told 'ornaments' have as much to do with 'imporving' skill as putting a black belt and gi on Richard Simmons would. So, dont judge a book by its cover! Get in there a work yourself, gain experience, do not think 'win or lose' think "I'M NOT ON THE SIDELINES TALKING ABOUT FIGHTING, I'M IN HERE EXPERIENCEING IT!!!" Best of luck, Tony
Shine4all2c

Thank you, Your message came just in time as I leave for my competition in an hour. These things you say sound true, I dont know why I fear these things. I do train with the person who has all these traits, and have had no bad experiences with him. I'm just going to mentally remove all these things from my opponents right before we compete. I will definately look into these tapes, there are so many of the tapes that I'd like to buy. Thanks again, Shine
Shine4all2c

Well, I lost the match, but I wasnt afraid of my fear. He did of course have the goatee and the multiple advertisements all over his gi, and he was super good, but at least I lost on the merits of our skill vs. losing by his looks. I will look forward to getting your tapes. Which tape most specifically deals with this? Thank you again.
Shine4all2c

I did get the email and will read it. I plan on going to the grapplers quest in Vegas, I'll order those asap. Thanks for your help.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.