UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Best Assault Rifle for Sniper Use?

12/21/05 4:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Aaron
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Dec-05

Not enough space in the thread title so I threw in "sniper" instead of long-range..... I've been shopping HK-91's for a while...kinda stuck on .308's. If you had to buy one rifle for both deer hunting AND zombie protection, what exactly would you choose, and why?peace
12/21/05 1:33 PM
RoninGear
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Dec-05
An accurized M-14. My reason? Because it's a good accurate weapon.
12/22/05 8:13 AM
Dark Knight
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Dec-05
http://www.snipercentral.com/ Sniper Central This page is intended to provide useful information to both military snipers and Law Enforcement Sharpshooters. From one of the pages..... For military extreme long-range anti-personnel purposes, the .338 Lapua is king. Even the .50BMG falls short
12/22/05 9:27 AM
Dark Knight
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/22/05 1:27 PM
sreiter

paging jack burton
12/22/05 5:30 PM
Aaron

heh
12/22/05 8:51 PM
lerdrit

I'm with RoninGear, the M-14.
12/27/05 11:08 AM
krept
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Dec-05
i guess i'm not sure about what would be a good zombie gun. Rate of fire or ability to make big holes while cqb? .308 sucks for close quarters and for rate of fire. too much recoil and too much blast for rapid, accurate follow up shots. 5.56 ballistic tipped or hollowpoint bullets makes very big wounds up close and can still handle a deer if placed right. i would think that the oh/shit stress would be a big factor in mongol horde/zombie defense. hunting on the other hand can have survival type stress but not as bad as i would think combat related cqb type stresses. An AR with the right load can kill a deer at good distances. Remember, if you are dealing with a SHTF scenario, a quick kill is desired but not necessary. While a 7mag or .270 would bring a lot more oomph to drop the deer, a lung or head shot with a 5.56 would get it eventually if not from the outset. you'll also want to consider spare ammunition and parts for your given weapon. lot of AR stuff around. depends on the specifics, I guess.
12/27/05 11:09 AM
krept
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Dec-05
and re: the thread title... there was that blackwater guy that guy tons of kills using an 20" hbar AR.... the vid where he was saying "it's like a turkey shoot" when he popped grape after grape...
12/28/05 9:25 PM
Aaron

Edited: 28-Dec-05
yeah the AR is a constant 2nd choice. and when i say "assault rifle", i'm talking CA laws (handle with detachable mag). I'm not overly concerned about the handle but it seems to be on any rifle I want. Of course I won't be owning this gun in CA. That would be illegal. I shot my friend's HKs 91 & 93 about 15 years ago and have loved them ever since. He owned everything imaginable and let me shoot them, the 91 is still a must have. He bought both, new, for $600 each.
12/31/05 2:38 AM
Aaron

Edited: 31-Dec-05
c'mon, JACK_BURTON!!!
1/4/06 11:32 AM
krept

Edited: 04-Jan-06
If I were in CA, it would seem the choices would be limited to an M1A and Mini-14. Would prefer the M1A, ESPECIALLY because you are a lot more likely to have been storing the 20 round GI surplus magazines in your attic since the ban on importation. Neither of these is an "assault rifle." Since the CA definition is a moot point, assault rifles are mid powered, battle rifles are high powered, but lets just go with the definition that "assault" means a semiauto capable rifle that was carried by some infantry in war at some time. AR is probably a perennial second choice because it can do it all but doesn't particularly excel in one area. On the knife thing... you get a choice of a machete, a hunting knife and a razor. AR is the hunting knife... won't chop as well as the machete, won't shave as well as the razor, but it will still fuck things up. Don't be fooled by the 5.56x45... I mean, I definitely like the 7.62 a lot more, but because we can choose ballistic tipped or hollowpoint ammunition, the 5.56 will do a LOT better than the current issued steel/tungsten core ones. You'll also get a higher magazine capacity and much MUCH faster follow up shots with an AR. It's no wonder why they dominate Camp Perry shoots now. So why do a lot of designated marksmen use 7.62 still? Well, because they are dedicated snipers and don't need to kill zombies :). For a dedicated long range semi, I reeeally think it would be hard to beat the PSG-1. After that, a modified M1A. Throw in zombies and I'm pretty adamant about the AR being the best all around choice. Otherwise, you're looking at gathering firewood with a scalpal or taking out a splinter with a hatchet. The .308 mojo is strong to be sure, but for a do-it-all, too much power is definitely a detriment worthy of careful consideration.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.