UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> "Now why doesn't somebody...

12/21/05 11:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Dec-05 12:30 AM
The CSPT

pull out a gun and, BANG, settle it?" - Mr. Lee to Mr. Braithwaite I'll tell you why Mr. Lee (if that is your real name)... Because most martial arts/self preservation/kung fu types are anti- gun. When one says "I am not anti-gun" I ask: Do you integrate firearms into your training? Most of the time they do not because they do not have adequate firearms training. Taking a gun course and spending 1000 hours on the range is worth more than taking 5 gun courses. But most have not taken the time to persue this information and develop this skill. By omitting it you are showing that you are against it or at a minimum "not for it"... Yet, some refer to what they do as reality based martial arts or functional. The one saving grace for some is that they call what they do MMA. If you are doing MMA then it is reasonable not to include firearms. You are excused. For those who are focusing on more than strike-clinch-ground, 'weapons' does not mean stick and knife. Likewise, 'firearms' does not mean "I own a gun" or "my daddy taught me to shoot". Fighting with firearms has nothing to do with what most people call shooting. NOTHING! I have heard many excuses over the years: "I have kids in the house" - The guns are there to protect those kids. "I'm not sure about the legalities of using a firearm". - Learn them. "I don't think I could kill someone". - As if guns were magical killing devices. Please, if only... "My wife said I can't" - Educate her. "We don't have a range at my gym" - Most don't. But I'm sure there is one nearby. "I can't afford the training or the gun". - Prioritize. You can afford that motorcycle, X-Box, iPod, paint ball set up... What it boils down to is neglect. It may be politically motivated, childhood fears, fear of the unknown... But some have chosen to neglect this "most important area" of training. When there are murderers in your home in the middle of the night, firearms should be your first line of defense, not boxing. The joke of it all is I know so many "gun guys" who don't train and cannot fight with a weapon. They can shoot one, but rarely do. They have the gun "collection" and the huge gun safes. They have no real, functional plan of action for home invasions at 0:Dark Thirty. They talk about how they would go for the Mini 14 or the SKS if it hit the fan. This section of the martial population is really not worth spending too many letters on. The focus should be on: Safety - Handling - Marksmanship - Tactics - Fighting. Handgun - Shotgun - White Light. Integration. But that may just be too much for some. OK. It's your choice. But to say RBSD or functional or complete or for the real world... Demi (I am not the knower) Barbito
12/21/05 2:39 PM
ukcblaze
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Dec-05
Demi, This is a subject I have struggled with for quite some time. First let me start of by saying I do like guns. I was raised with guns in my home and recieved my first rifle on my 12th b-day. I was taken to the range almost every other week and enjoyed every min of it. Even recently, I have taken my wife to the range and she enjoys it as well. The issue I am having isn't about guns. It is about a loaded gun in my home for the puposes of protection. And to tell you the truth, the jury is still out on that one for me personaly. My wife has made some valid points which I tend to agree with on some levels. We do have a very curious child in our home. We do have an alarm on our home. And we do have 2 very large dogs in our home at night. What are the chances that a criminal would jump all those hurdles just to steal my TV? I don't have people who hate me so bad that they will disarm an alarm and shoot 2 dogs just to get at me. So do I really have a valid threat to worry about? Or am I just being paranoid and my wife is right?(which is usually the case). Danny
12/21/05 9:34 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Dec-05
The CSPT
Yet you have kitchen knives, chemicals and electric devices which pose more of a threat to a child. Any of these could kill but are not made to SAVE. I have weapons and I have a 13 year old, a 6 year old and a 5 month old. I also carry a gun everyday. Cars kill more people every year in this country "on accident" than guns do on purpose - yet we all let the kids get in the car. I would be less worried about counter knife and more worried about "counter violence". Demi
12/21/05 10:42 PM
ukcblaze
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Dec-05 10:44 PM
Demi 1: i am not worried about counter knife at all... but that is a different thread all together so I will stay on the current topic(one of which I am not questioning your expertise level on). 2: Everything you stated is the obvious on your reply, I have no arguement with that. My question was why do I need a gun with everything I mentioned in my first post? I don't think I should have a loaded gun in my home for the sake of having a loaded gun. I am wondering if the threat is really THERE in the first place? Do you have stats on how many people get murdered in the middle of the night, in there homes, well they sleep?
12/22/05 12:08 AM
Demitrius Barbito

Edited: 22-Dec-05
The CSPT
"""I don't have people who hate me so bad that they will disarm an alarm and shoot 2 dogs just to get at me. So do I really have a valid threat to worry about? """ It's not about "people that hate you". It's about complete strangers and total randomness. These people stand next to you in the grocery store. They ARE out there. """I don't think I should have a loaded gun in my home for the sake of having a loaded gun.""" I don't think so either. You should have for for insurance. You carry insurance on your car. Do you regularly get into accidents? It's there just in case. """Do you have stats on how many people get murdered in the middle of the night, in there homes, well they sleep?""" Do you have the stats on how many peple are attacked with knives in your city, county,state, region? In some cases there may be none. In others there may be many. It doesn't really matter because total randomness is involved. Viole3nce does not conform to image/stats. It's random and ruthless. Having a loaded gun is not a "bad thing". It's a managed risk. With proper management it's as dangerous as a kitchen knife. As far as the worry about a loaded gun... Do you have the stats on how many accidental, child involved shootings happen in your area, county, state. Probably NONE!
12/27/05 8:09 PM
gokuryu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Dec-05

"""I don't have people who hate me so bad that they will disarm an alarm and shoot 2 dogs just to get at me. So do I really have a valid threat to worry about? """

the families killed by the BTK killer didnt have anybody who hated them also. In New York ( i believe long island) there has been a rash of home invasions where the families are tied up and robbed.  Dont think anybody was killed but i am sure some of them had alarms, dogs and all kinds of stuff. 

I dont have a gun yet but all i am saying it could happen. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.