UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Confidence deflated (good/bad?)

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Iceman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

Hey Tony, Here's something for pondering... One of my students spoke to me recently about his confidence level. He was very active and very good in Tae Kwon Do for many years (competitions, etc). He said he felt reasonably comfortable that he could handle himself and his loved ones if the need ever came to defend himself. Now he's been training with us at our club for about 2 years (JKD-BJJ-FMA-SAVATE) and he says he felt his confidence "deflated" by how much he hadn't known. He says he feels that now he knows there's so much more to a "self defense situation than just kicking and punching". He has become undoubtedly a better "fighter" all around, but it was interesting to hear that his sudden realization didn't provide him with a framework to train in, but rather fed some insecurities. We spend a lot of time covering the psychology of The Fight, etc, but I wonder sometimes if the "False Confidence" provided by the traditional martial arts might not at least provide a relief from the paranoia some folks feel. I would love to hear some of your thoughts on this, or maybe some of your materials I could recommend. Thanks!
Iceman

ttt
djl

Iceman, Where in NJ are you located? Drop me an e-mail at: lepp@asia.com (Sorry for butting into the thread) Happy training, djl
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Ice: Not quite sure how to respond as I'm not quite sure I follow the quesiton. "I wonder sometimes if the "False Confidence" provided by the traditional martial arts might not at least provide a relief from the paranoia some folks feel." 1. He should be feeling more confident with you, not the other way around, especially if you are covering the psycholgy. 2. ANy 'false confidence' equates to relief of paranoia, as that's what false confidence can do. 3. I would encourage him to check out our audio package just to get his head in perspective. The physical componets of yuor curriculmn are clearly superior to his past training - that's what has made him less secure - so something is missing in his emotional/psychological arsenal that's preventing him from making the jump. Tony
Naso

Your bread and butter in a street fight are your punches and kicks. If your student was good at Tae Kwon Do, he should not feel like his confidence is deflated. I'd say listen to the 4 Blauer audios and apply the information from them. The body achieves what the mind believes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.