UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> am i screwed (in chem) ?

1/5/06 11:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Power Paw
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Jan-06

This semester, I'm taking a course (required) in chemistry. It's called Chemistry for Engineers, CHEM1800U. Here is the description: Introduction to the four sub-disciplines of modern chemistry: analytical, inorganic, organic and physical. Atoms, molecules, stoichiometry and gas laws; reactions, chemical kinetics, thermochemistry, entropy and free energy; electronic structure of atoms, bonding and molecular structure with emphasis on organic molecules; intermolecular forces, liquids and solids; electrochemistry, fuel cells and electrolytic cells. 3 cr, 3 lec, 2 lab (biweekly), 2 tut (biweekly). Prerequisite: OAC or 12U Chemistry. Ok, I like the sound of "introduction to" the only problem is... I did not take chemistry in high school, I know very little about chemistry. (I managed to get around some prereqs because of the 2 yrs of college I did...their admissions system is flawed, I guess.) Is it possible for me to survive this course (and get at least a 75%) if I read through the book a lot? (this book http://www.wwnorton.com/chemistry/overview/ch1.htm) I'm not sure what I should do. I believe I am capable of learning a lot on my own. For example, I attended about half of the lectures for physics I (last semester) and I ended up with an A+ in the course. I tend to just try problems and figure things out with the help of books. I would really like to avoid dropping this course and taking it later (after taking a more introductory chem course). The problem is, I just don't know what I'm really getting myself into. Any advice?
1/6/06 3:34 AM
jgibson

Edited: 06-Jan-06
Chemistry was a bit of a bitch for me, mostly because I went in taking it lightly and it whooped my ass for a couple of rounds. The way to succeed in chemistry is the way to succeed in physics: practice lots of problems. There is a bit of memorization at the beginning that gets a lot of folks, but once you get past that....it's smooth sailing. The only difficulties I had was with the stoichiometry problems. I practiced enough of them, though, that I became quite comfortable with them.
1/6/06 2:05 PM
RGoodfellow

Edited: 06-Jan-06
You should be fine. If you can get an A+ in physics, you should be able to at least pass Chemistry class. If you find yourself lost at the beginning, find a tutor. My mom went back to school after 20 years and took chemistry. She had never even taken chemistry in high school. She was very intimidated when she started the course, but she was determined to learn it. I tutored her for a few weeks and she ended up with one of the highest grades in the class.
1/7/06 6:58 PM
GrandInquisitor
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Jan-06
Memorize everything you find, and then memorize it some more. the biggest reason people fuck up Chemistry is because they expect that they will be able to get away with lagging on studying, and then cramming - which always will fail. You will need to memorize a few hundred different pieces of info, and you need to do it over time, and not attempt to do it all at once.
4/3/06 1:12 PM
Power Paw

Edited: 03-Apr-06
so far...i've gotten from 38% - 88% on the lab reports (most of them were in the 60%s though) and for midterms 1 and 2, 63 and 64 respectively so...i pretty much need a 40% on the final exam (it's worth 50% of the course) in order to pass kinda crappy, but i really hate chem, and i've attended fewer than half of the lectures since i feel i learn best on my own in these kinds of situations i could have done much better in everything, but chemistry was never really my priority here i have 5 other courses to worry about, so my efforts have been spread thin across all of them i think i'm doing alright, considering that my previous knowledge of chemistry consisted of whatever bit i had forgotten from general science in grade 9
4/24/06 3:55 AM
FightFan424

Edited: 24-Apr-06
ttt
4/24/06 6:46 AM
Power Paw

Edited: 24-Apr-06
a really dedicated full day of study before the exam (yes...i know i'm not the best student) ...and i feel like i smashed that exam's f**k! somewhere around a 70-80% on the exam, which puts me in low to high 70's for the course overall not bad at all, i'd say!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.