UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Just got bjj over 40

1/6/06 4:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kalel
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Jan-06

Just got my DVD and a $20 refund (thanks Roy) I will be reinvesting this on a future Harris INt. product to support the good customer service. I will post a review later tonight or tomorrow on less someone beats me to it.
1/16/06 1:30 AM
FullBlastJKD

Edited: 16-Jan-06
ttt for the upcoming review!
1/16/06 6:38 PM
Kalel

Edited: 16-Jan-06
hey full blast someone already posted a good review on the bjj forum.
1/19/06 9:16 AM
Mike Sweeney

Edited: 19-Jan-06
I ordered my copy a few minutes ago.
1/19/06 9:17 AM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jan-06
Modern Self-Defense Center
5 words or less? Here is my Susan tribute: "It can't be that simple!"
1/20/06 8:51 AM
Grappler2010

Edited: 20-Jan-06 06:54 PM
Roy, Why did you leave out these funadamental techniques from the BJJ over 40 arsenal? Straight Armbar Triangle choke Sleeper You talk about these moves being high percentage in grappling. Any reason they are not on the set? One other thing does the set contain combination attacks?
1/20/06 10:52 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jan-06
Grappler2010, There are several reasons for NOT including these techniques on this instructional: 1. Not all techniques are the same. Some are more difficult than others, especially with the all of the varying level of students and the varying levels of abilities, attitudes and disciplines. 2. Bent arm locks are much easier than straight arm lock. 3. Bent arm locks are a much higher percentage technique than straight arm locks. 4. The triangle choke, performed by using leverage, is a very complex technique. 5. The rear choke, although an easy technique to apply, is also difficult because A) a person has to be able to repeatedly get to the back, and B) the person has to be able to maintain control of the back mount position for an extended period of time. This is not something I have seen in the average white to blue belt student, especially with older, more mature practitioners. 6. I had the limitations of a single sided DVD (which means I was limited to two hours of video footage). 7. I wanted to start this series of DVD's with more high percentage techniques for the age group it was intended for. When it comes to making an instructional DVD, I make careful preparations for the target audience I will be presenting it to. Also, all of the instructionals I have produced since 2001 have done very well. My three biggest sellers have been BJJ 101 Volume One (VHS and DVD), BJJ 201 DVD and Takedowns from the Knees VHS. So, in the up-coming years, I will teach a lot more on the BJJ subjects I have only started. However, first I want to rid myself of the "He's just a BJJ guy who's dabbled in other arts" image. Most of my instructionals this year will be stand up! Roy Harris
1/22/06 6:42 AM
Grappler2010

Edited: 22-Jan-06
thanks Roy.
1/22/06 9:11 AM
Grappler2010

Edited: 22-Jan-06 09:12 AM
Roy, One other question. Once a student has MASTERED the techniques in BJJ over 40, what skill level would you put him at? Is he the equivalent of a good blue belt? A beginner purple belt? etc. Also with most BJJ progressions its all about continuous learning. With BJJ over 40 there seems to be a CEILING. Do you think once an individual has mastered BJJ over 40, its good enough to maintain this skill and be satisfied with that? How would you tell a 40 year old who spends 5 years training with the material to train the next 5 years? Thanks for your answers.
1/23/06 1:58 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jan-06
"Not all techniques are the same. Some are more difficult than others, especially with the all of the varying level of students and the varying levels of abilities, attitudes and disciplines." This is so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1/29/06 7:17 PM
Eel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jan-06
I got my over 40 DVD this week. It is great. Roy got my order to me within 7 days or so. I appreciate that. I hope this is just the 1st in DVD's dealing with this subject.
1/30/06 4:55 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jan-06
Grappler2010, Once a student has mastered the techinques in BJJ Over 40, he or she is now fully qualified to defend themselves from strong and athletic 20 year olds who don't know how strong they are and don't quite understand the concept of "training with others." What is the equivalent belt? A grey belt! ; ) With BJJ progressions as taught by many BJJ instructors, it's about the continuous learning of technique. While many of my students enjoy learning new techniques, those who really GET what I teach them know that learning more techniques in no way equates to developing a skill. Rather, it is their growth in understanding that helps them progress. Also, it must be understood that teaching technique is only a starting point in the learning progression. There is so much that must occur AFTER a technique has been taught. With BJJ Over 40, I have just scratched the surface of a very large topic. Trust me when I say there is no ceiling in sight for this topic. You asked, "Do you think once an individual has mastered BJJ over 40, its good enough to maintain this skill and be satisfied with that?" The answer is............ It depends on the individual student! Some will be satisfied, others will not. You also asked, "How would you tell a 40 year old who spends 5 years training with the material to train the next 5 years?" I would tell them to take a look at the "BJJ Over 40 Part Two" DVD. You see Grappler2010, there is so much that I haven't taught yet on DVD. Why not? Because I haven't had time. I have had to divide my time between teaching group classes at the academy, teaching private lessons at the acaedmy, spending four to six hours Sunday thru Saturday answering e-mails, teaching seminars abroad, all the travel time involved, keeping up on all my computer skills (graphics, video editing, compositing, audio, etc...), writing articles, administrative STUFF, spending time talking with students, listening to students and running errands that when it comes to scripting one instructional DVD takes quite a efw weeks. Then, add to this the filming sessions and the editing and you can see how busy my schedule is. I do plan to offer more instructionals later on in the year, but right now I am extremely busy playing catch up with all the things I promised in the past. Good training to you, Roy Harris
1/30/06 5:26 PM
Grappler2010

Edited: 30-Jan-06
Thanks Roy. I'd love to see "Takedowns over 40" or "Vale Tudo over 40" down the road :-)
2/1/06 1:56 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Feb-06
"learning more techniques in no way equates to developing a skill. Rather, it is their growth in understanding that helps them progress." "Also, it must be understood that teaching technique is only a starting point in the learning progression. There is so much that must occur AFTER a technique has been taught." EXCELLENT POINTS!!!!!!
2/2/06 4:56 AM
Grappler2010

Edited: 02-Feb-06
Roy, In the reviews of BJJ over 40 I've read that you "love your wristlocks". Does BJJ over 40 include wristlocks?
2/2/06 6:07 AM
Roy Harris

Edited: 02-Feb-06
Grappler2010, Wristlocks are NOT taught on BJJ Over 40. I demonstrate them while sparring with a couple of my brown belts. These locks are demonstrated in the Strengthen your Strengths section. Several years ago, I made my wrist locks functional by training them while kickboxing with 16 oz. gloves on, then with bag gloves on, and then without. Then, I made the same locks functional in BJJ. And, since very few people have trained them like I have trained them, they have become a strength of mine! Roy Harris
2/16/06 5:41 PM
dhunter

Edited: 16-Feb-06
I just received "BJJ Over 40" for my 49th birthday (ahem). I've been training for about 4.5 years, and I am also curious as to what the road ahead has in store for me. As I progress through my 50s, I imagine maintenance of current skill and conditioning levels will be my primary concern. Above that, how to improve? One day and one small step at a time, I suppose... One comment about the DVD - I think it would have been good to show some drills that incorporate the basic movements that you show. When new students come into our school, especially if they're older guys (sometimes I lead the class warmup), I'll tell them why we drill certain movements so much. It always seems to be the hips gives the older (new) guys the most trouble, so I tell them to keep working those elbow escape drills, etc. Mr. Harris - do you have any FMA background?
2/17/06 1:10 AM
Roy Harris

Edited: 17-Feb-06
While it would have been good to include this information, it must be remembered that the DVD is one hour and fifty-one minutes long. And, with the confines of two hours of video on one DVD, there was only so much I could put on one DVD. Besides, I have only scratched the surface of the topics I am going to cover. WHile it is a niec thought to think one DVD could covere everything that everybody would ever want, the truth of the matter is this: As the instructor, I had to lay a solid foundation so I could build something off of in the future. And, with this DVD, I did just that. Regarding my FMA background, I started training in the Inosanto Blend of Kali back in 1981 under Sifu Rick Faye. I have continued my training until this day. Also, I went to the Philippines in 1999 and had my FMA revolutionized with Kalis Ilustrisimo! Even though I am known in our community as a BJJ guy (sometimes as a "BJJ guy who has only dabbled in others styles of martial art), I am a blade guy at heart! I am much more confident with a blade in my hand than on the ground. And, I am very confident in my blade defenses! Good training to you, Roy Harris
2/17/06 2:26 PM
dhunter

Edited: 17-Feb-06
Thanks for the reply Mr. Harris, I will be looking forward to those next DVDs! I'm from the Minneapolis area, so I'm familiar with Rick Faye, although I haven't trained with him. I would like very much some day to attend an Inosanto seminar at his school. I have about 3.5 years of training in Inayan Eskrima, that's where my FMA question came from. I can't say I'm particularly comfortable with a blade or on the ground, I have a looooong ways to go before that ever happens.
2/18/06 4:28 PM
KarmaJitsu

Edited: 18-Feb-06

ttt

2/25/06 5:10 PM
sovann
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Feb-06
"I made my wrist locks functional by training them while kickboxing with 16 oz. gloves on, " Very interesting!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.