UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Paul Graham's grim view of schools

1/7/06 8:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Oct-06 01:47 AM

I have to thank forum member "Revolver of Reason" for originally introducing me to the great work of anti-spam pioneer and Lisp partisan, Paul Graham. Unsurprisingly enough, Graham (like most people with any amount of original thought in their heads) has a very, very dim view of our current school system. He isn't quite as opposed to it as John Taylor Gatto is. Indeed, like forum member Andrew Yao, Graham is turned off by Gatto's conspiracy theorizing, but many of his statements show similarities to Gatto's central themes: the comparison of schools to prison, the wastage of time in school, the self-reinforcing social pathologies, etc. His main essay on the subject is "Why Nerds Are Unpopular," and whereas Gatto addressed his article to parents, Graham makes his appeal directly to teen-aged students in "What You'll Wish You'd Known." Although one has to chuckle a little since the latter was originally meant to be a speech given to an assembly of high-school kids: I can't imagine high school kids with attention spans equal to that speech!
1/12/06 2:27 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Jan-06
I PROMISE that these articles are more interesting than my debates with asdf! Sheesh, tough room...
1/20/06 12:22 AM
FiatLux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jan-06
ttt
8/5/08 3:08 PM
shen
745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's great.
8/6/08 11:28 PM
None So Blind
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mt
8/11/08 1:40 PM
Willybone
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"What you'll wish you knew"

Right now most of you feel your job in life is to be a promising college applicant. But that means you're designing your life to satisfy a process so mindless that there's a whole industry devoted to subverting it. No wonder you become cynical. The malaise you feel is the same that a producer of reality TV shows or a tobacco industry executive feels. And you don't even get paid a lot.

Ouch.
8/21/08 10:29 AM
Seul
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These are fantastic, thanks for sharing them.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.