UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Safe fish w/ goldfish?

1/9/06 7:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Detriment
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Jan-06

I think I've got two small Koi (about 1.5 inches) that somehow piggybacked some plants we bought for an outdoor water garden. When I got them, they were only about 5mm long, so they've grown quite a bit. I bought a 10 gal aquarium to put them in, but now I'm wondering if I can throw some other fish in there, as well. Of course, I don't want to put in fish that will eat the Koi. Are there any other safe, cool freshwater fish that would fit into this setup? I'm completely clueless.
3/17/06 10:51 PM
lionsdengrappler
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Mar-06
chinese high fin sharks, black moors, highland stream loachs( with these guys you need fast currents, a powerful airstone can make up for it) there are some cichlids from Argentina and Chili that do well (sometimes better)at cooler temps.
4/12/06 6:59 PM
voltaire64

Edited: 12-Apr-06
Nah, I wouldn't waste any money on any more fish. I'd actually plan on getting a bigger tank for them, a much bigger tank.
4/17/06 4:21 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-06
Yeah you're gonna run outta room for them fairly quickly. Forget what more you can put in there, think about what you're gonna put them in cause Koi get HUGE. Forget the old wives tale nonsense about "growing into their aquarium" too in case that thought has entered into it. Ideally they could be put into the water garden you bought the plants for?
4/19/06 12:03 AM
SKARHEAD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Apr-06
No....Koi will kill your Goldfish. We have three dead Oranda's to prove it.
5/4/06 11:55 PM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-May-06
That's odd Skarhead, you sure it wasn't something else? I can honestly say at least 90% of the ponds i've seen in my life have Koi mixed with Goldfish. In fact an Aquarium mag i'm looking at right now has a picture of a reader's pond with both in it.
8/1/06 10:32 AM
jason hornbuckle

Edited: 01-Aug-06
the main thing you want to watch is when you go to a pet store they'll have the fish separated out according to water temp. goldfish are not tropical fish, they like the water colder than probably two thirds of the other fish you'll see, so go to the cold water section and look for non-agressive fish that won't fit in your fish's mouth. make sure that whatever it is doesn't nip at long fins either a 10 gallon tank is too small for anything but the tiniest fish anyway, so you'll definately need to plan on getting at least a 29 or so the best situation might be for you to put it in your water garden, as long as there's room and enough cover for it to hide from birds
8/1/06 2:25 PM
SKARHEAD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Aug-06
I had 3 Kois and 3 Orandas. The Koi literally attcked and bit the Orandas. They lived in peace for months and within 2 weeks they had killed the 3 Orandas.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.