UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> "Stupid in America"

4/25/06 7:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
eabeam
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Apr-06
I won't bust your bubble by telling you that we chose the name before I started back on the UG/OG. We have pics at www.ericpayal.com
4/25/06 8:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
eabeam
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Apr-06
As for the exact message on the thread... people need to get avoid getting to philosophical realize that the simplest answer is often the correct one... (remember I work in education and am a white guy that married into a Desi family. 1. America is not the underdog. A below average working class life is better than the lives of most people in other countries. Someone working to feed themselves are more motivated than people that are working for a second flat screen tv. Especially in countries where only rich people can get credit. Having to pay cash makes a big difference in lifestyle choices. 2. Americans have bought into the "You can do anything you want mentality." How many foriegners do you know are going to come home and tell their folks, "I changed my major from Engineering to Creative Writing." Other countries know that English, Math, and science are the keys to advancement. If my son comes home with bad grades, I am shipping his ass to India to live with his cousins for a year. Parents and family are key. I am a product of public schools in a family and neighborhood that prioritized education. My parents had great jobs for H.S. diplomas, but for my first job out of school I made more than both of them combined. In my neighborhood, parents do not understand how we do not MAGICALLY educate their kids. Some of them are poor, some of them are rich but are out of the house 14 hours/day. Other smoke crack and pimp their kids out at age 4 to perverts... don't think it is rare. I averaged about 20 cases like this a year... that I knew of....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.