UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Sociology:Question about Idols

1/15/06 6:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MONSTA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jan-06 06:56 AM

We need a sociology ground on this board. My question is a little psychological but more sociological. Do you think we are born with the attitude that if we see someone on screen, film or television, do we automatically assume that they are the better, as far as humanity goes, because they are being displayed for all of humanity to see. Is out celebrity obsessed culture, truely something that has been generated by capitalism, or mearly a growth from our psyche. What is it within us that says that "x" person is popular because he or she is on TV and looks so beutiful, therefor they are special human beings and more meaningfull and more important than I am. Why must we have people on pedestals because of their looks and talents. Are they representations of things we strive for ourselves?

1/16/06 4:46 AM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

Edited: 16-Jan-06
I read an ethology experiment on monkeys awhile back, details are a bit fuzzy, but it was something along the lines of the monkeys were shown more "higher up" monkeys in the pecking order on TV screens. One of the findings of the experiment was that the monkeys would stare longer at the higher ranking males and females without having the necessary social knowledge of their rank within their assorted tribes. I'll write a longer answer later when I have time.
1/16/06 11:02 PM
MONSTA

Edited: 16-Jan-06
There are definetly two polar opposites of thoughts that often time intermix in human reactions. Most often consumers treat celeberties as dolls, or animated toys for their gossip and judgment. Not like human beings at all. But whenever they are in the physical presence of celberties the attitudes switch to god like worship. I tend to think that the treatment of celeberties as objects is more of a Western reaction to the insecurity of having this person seem to be higher on the sociological chain than them. Kind of like sour grapes. Why would you care to judge the fashion sense of celeberties when you don't give two cents about normal people's fashion sense in real life. Is it because normal people are not a threat.
3/5/06 7:33 PM
hockeychick
341 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Mar-06
I can see where celebrities can be seen as "dolls" or "things" that exist for our entertainment and enjoyment. I don't understand when people meet them in public they become "starstruck" and treat them as higher beings. People don'g treat politicians the same way in person. Though it can raise our status by "associating" with these celebrities (handshake, autograph, picture), but who cares what their opinions are? Why should it make a difference to you and me? Why are people swayed by celebrities when it comes to politics? Most aren't college graduates, have degrees in economics or world affairs. Who cares if they are extremely attractive. Though if you look back, Kennedy is considered one of the most popular presidents, and was the best looking. But was he really a good president? But our "obsession" with attractiveness can be applied to anything in our life, cars, clothes, electronics. Everything has to be shiny, pretty, the best.
3/7/06 10:33 PM
SpaceCataz

Edited: 07-Mar-06
Maybe individual frames of reference for understanding social heirarchy rely on symbols that create exclusivity, which in turn creates a form of desirability based on the basic social need to belong. This could then be interpeted as a survival mechanism that is an evolved social behavior created by the fact that within a society there is strength in numbers.
3/22/06 4:14 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 22-Mar-06
doesnt this have more to do with social norms and normitive behaviors? You know things like peer pressure and group think? You dont actually believe pop culutre is popular because its meaningful do you? Pop culture is the bottom of barrel type of shit that most people are too ignorant to see beyond. Also, part of this, I believe is related to the American Dream and the conceptual framework of a society that still exists in theory as a meritocracy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.