UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Kitchen Knives?

1/19/06 5:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
filfy
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jan-06
I have Global knives and they are good but need sharpening regularly. My best knife is a big chopper bought at a market in Thailand for a few quid-I can get that super sharp.
1/19/06 7:22 AM
Ant C
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got my girlfriend a set of Global knives a couple of years ago. She has a catering business so they get a lot of use. They are good knives and hold an edge well. Can take time to sharpen as the steel is so hard, I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker but could do with some coarser stones. Make sure to clean and dry them well after use as they will rust due to the high carbon content.
1/19/06 8:04 AM
crescentwrench
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got a santoku on a whim but really don't use it that often.  I'm used to the high curving edge of my Wusthof and the santoku blade is just too flat for me.  It's thin though, not beefy like my chef's knife so I can get it razor sharp and it doesn't split vegetables like my chef's knife sometimes tends to do.  The wife also uses this one.  If you like the feel they're a good choice for light work like veggies, though the granton dimples honestly don't help all that much. 
1/19/06 10:05 AM
supersonic
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a small set of Henckels. Only 3. And they are awesome. I really dont see the need personally for a giant set. But the money spent on a few great knives is money well spent
1/19/06 4:44 PM
crescentwrench
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Real Henckel's are made in Germany so I don't know were you guys get the cheap ones.

Kohls.  They always have cheap Henckels on special.  They can get stuff from Europe all the way over here to the New World now.

1/19/06 5:19 PM
e. kaye
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have Wusthofs and Shuns. The Shuns are stupid sharp. Messermeister are high end German blades.
1/19/06 6:06 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Santokus are the best ever for thin slicing, like if you want to slice some tomatoes for hamburgers. Plus, I don't use mine very often so it stays ridiculously sharp.
1/20/06 1:00 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jan-06
Okay, so tell me about this thing: 4109 / 14 cm - Classic Tomato knife
  • The serrated edge slices even the ripest tomato as thin as you like. The forked tip is great for serving.
  • 14 cm (5")
  • with serrated edge
  • The WÜSTHOF name, TRIDENT-Logo and city of Solingen as place-of-manufacturing proudly etched onto every blade.
I like what they're selling on the Tomato thing, but a knife used to cut one single vegetable (I know, it's a fruit) seems like a wasteful expense. Would it be good for other stuff? Tomatos? Potatos? Other veggies?
1/20/06 1:05 PM
HODNEY
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have some Henckels & a Global Chefs knife.  The Global is my favorite.  Very thin, and super sharp.  I use it for almost everything. 
1/20/06 2:44 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Santokus are better for slicing soft vegetables than any serrated knife. The only thing I use a serrated knife for is bread.
1/20/06 3:03 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jan-06 03:06 PM
^^^ Noted. Thanks! I'm going to take C-Dub's advice, and test drive some tonight at Sur La Table. I had never heard of this place, but evidently we gots one in town.
1/20/06 3:35 PM
whatever
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=81931&CategoryID=7673&LinkType=EverGreen Click on the picture and you can zoom in on the blade. German stainless steel, but made in China.
1/20/06 3:55 PM
the_sandman

Kyocera Ceramic is the way to go, seriously
1/20/06 4:53 PM
Mullet @ Heart

That's badass!
1/20/06 11:25 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Edited: 20-Jan-06 11:32 PM
Wusthof it is! I went with the Grand Prix II. I like the way the handles felt better than the Classics. Thanks to C-dub for suggesting I test drive them. If I hadn't, I probably never would have selected the ones I ended up liking best. I only bought 2 to start out with. An 8" Chef's knife and a 7" Santoku. Now I need something to cut.
1/22/06 2:31 PM
crescentwrench

Edited: 22-Jan-06

That tomato knife is aight.  Those knives have the serrations for any soft fruit or vegetable with a tough skin, like a tomato.  That way you won't crush the tomato or slip on the skin.  But like alpo said, a santoku sharpened properly will do just as good.  I just sharpen normally and then do a couple of light runs on my coarse stone which gives it little microscopic serrations.  It's too grainy feeling for meat but perfect for veggies.  Although some use the bread knife on tomatoes. 

Anyway, fine choice.  The people who like the feel of those handles realllllllly love them.   Matter of fact I think I might pick up that stubby ass little paring knife if I ever find it on the cheap. 

1/22/06 6:12 PM
Arbornne

Edited: 22-Jan-06
Santokus are awesome. They can totally replace a chef's knife. Get an extra wide 7 incher. I just got an old knife from a friend. It says Solingen Steel on the blade made in Germany. Solingen Steel is a brand?
1/27/06 10:52 AM
Mullet @ Heart

Edited: 27-Jan-06
Just to post a quick follow-up... I'm really enjoying these Wusthof knives. Not only are they perfect for cutting food, they also make excellent letter openers! This thread courtesy of The Food & Wine Ground.
1/27/06 11:13 AM
alpo

Should we move this thread to the Food and Wine Ground so it doesn't disappear? Lots of good info here.
1/27/06 11:20 AM
Mullet @ Heart

Good idea. I'd like to see this and the cookware thread moved there, but I think we need a real mod to do it.
1/27/06 11:43 AM
alpo

Your account doesn't have permission for this action dammit
2/7/06 5:25 PM
Big Ron

Edited: 07-Feb-06
If anyone else is looking for knives I recommend taking a look at the Tojiro DP range. Excellent knives for the price.
2/13/06 7:38 PM
Ted Bennett
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Feb-06

Many thanks to all who posted on this thread.

My wife has been doing a *LOT* of cooking lately, and she's been watching cooking shows like most guys watch sports. Anyways, she had expressed interest in getting some *good* knives, and this thread was my starting point for what to look for and what brands to consider.

As it turns out, I brought her to a nice kitchen-type store, and as unromantic and unsurprising as it is, for her Valentine's Day gift I let her handle all the different types and brands of knives to see what she felt comfortable with (she's a little tiny thing, so some of the really heavy knives were out of the question).

We wound up getting a Wusthof carving knife and a Henckel santoku knife. She is actually using them as I type this to make some pork adobo (she's Filipina). :-P

Thanks again to all who posted opinions and info.

3/11/06 3:17 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Mar-06
Just discovered the Food & Wine Ground, and this thread, a couple weeks ago. After doing some research I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and checked out some knives today. I looked at, and handled their Wusthofs, and a couple different lines of Henckels. I went in thinking that I would probably get a Wusthof, but ended up getting a Henckel 6" Pro S Chef knife... liked the feel of it better. With a 20% off coupon I ended up getting it for $54. Thanks for all the info! Since I love cooking and eating, I'll deinitely be checking out this board regularly. Viva la Food & Wine Ground! -Kev
3/11/06 3:32 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Edited: 11-Mar-06
Checking them out is the way to go. I went in hoping I'd like the Globals (cause they look so damn cool) and ended up with the Wusthofs.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.