UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> article worth checking out

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shawn Mozen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

Tony, I came across an interesting interview that I thought you and the members of the mental edge might find worth while. The url is :http://www.shinyokai.com/interview.htm There is a discussion towards the end concerning the need inovate and renovate styles. Enjoy, Shawn Mozen
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Thanks Shawn, will take a look when I can. TB
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Shawn, I started reading, actually skimming, thinking, "Man, I dont have time for this..." Then I caught this: The term "martial arts" are thrown around a lot without any idea of their meaning. Martial means war or conflict. In a martial arts dojo we train for conflict. Without physical and psychological conflict there is no "martial" in martial art. Fear, to be overcome must be confronted and experienced. Fear must become part of your life experience. Appreciation of fear and the appropriate reaction when confronting fear is the sign of a mature martial artist. Are not your dojo mates and sensei the ones that you should ultimately trust when learning to confront your fears. In a real dojo, they are. Then this: New strategies involving a devastating technical innovation, the tanegashima (musket) were employed by his enemies. His samurai were cut to pieces in rotating volleys of musket fire by Oda Nobunaga's ashigaru. One of the most impressive armies in Japans history was efficiently decimated because it's leader was unable to part with a strategy that he knew was compromised by changing realities. Romantically drawn into doing things as they had been done successfully in the past, he was defeated by his traditional mindset. This strategy of old, and Takeda's failure to adapt in the face of overwhelming evidence to change, cost him everything. Then this: Everyone is looking for a master or guru in the west, but the word master is so overused today as to be meaningless, much like having a black belt today is meaningless. A genuine master is almost impossible to find because you won't quickly recognize him. He is much more than a teacher. Genuine teachers strive to be masters but only one in a hundred thousand finish the journey. There are only a handful of true masters on the whole planet. Funny how they all end up in the San Francisco yellow pages. (laughing) I tell people all the time this truth. It is not amendable or conditional. "Anyone who calls himself a master or allows his students to refer to him as 'master' in his presence, isn't a master." Occasionally he may be a well-meaning teacher who misunderstands the definition of the word, but most of the time he is an ego driven narcissist seeking adoration. He will have very little to teach because there is so little room in his heart for his students. Instead of looking for a master, just look for a good teacher with a sense of humor, especially if he's driving a crummy old car. (Laughing, while motioning towards his old Toyota.) My old friend and sensei, Matsuhiro Namishiro used to say "There must be lots of smiles along the way or the journey is not worth it." He was correct you know. ----------- Awesome! Thanks Shawn!!
Shawn Mozen

Tony, Iam glad you liked it. The article really blew me away and made me think of you and the other members of this forum. Best wishes to everyone. Shawn Mozen
1/24/02 5:04 PM
Ausgepicht

Edited: 24-Jan-02
ttt
taroson

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.