UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Value theory

1/25/06 3:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jan-06

Hey :) Haven´t written on the forum much before but read it sometimes. I am studying Philosophy and it is my 3rd year of BA. How many people are interested in meta-ethics and value theory more specifically on this board? What is your view on the nature or essence of value most fundamentally? Is there "intrinsic value" in the sense of value being something objective and part of the fabric of the universe in your opinion? Is value like a secondary quality? What is value? Trying to start a good discussion of such things here :) P.S Anyone interested in environmental ethics?
1/28/06 5:40 AM
FudoMyoo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jan-06

"How many people are interested in meta-ethics and value theory more specifically on this board? "

Me me me! :)

"What is your view on the nature or essence of value most fundamentally?"

I have strong emotivist leanings.

"Anyone interested in environmental ethics? "

sure, this is also interesting. I´m reading Peter Singers "One World" right now.

1/29/06 4:06 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jan-06
Hey Fudo Fun-fun-fun about to start ;) Describe through your emotivist leanings what you think "value" generally is.
1/29/06 8:02 AM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 29-Jan-06 08:03 AM
I think "value" is a humancreated concept, which means that ethical statements lack truthvalue. i.e. objective good and bad, or right and wrong doesn´t exist imo. Statements like "Killing is wrong" etc generally expresses emotions of the speaker or they can also function like imperatives (Don´t kill).
1/29/06 1:31 PM
Indrek R.

"For instance, if someone were to say that a serial murderer's brain -- say, that is being inflicted with some illness -- is working in a "wrong" manner, is that still subjective? Could "value" be made objective by referring to proper biological function?" It is working in a wrong manner according to regular and normal biological function - but it is wrong if you accept the proper working of the brain as a normative norm with what you can compare the dysfunction. But that still doesn´t mean that the wrong functional working makes the function of the brain ethically "wrong". Proper biological function doesn´t carry any value if one thinks value is a concept of human mind (in the interpretation that i think Fudo gave). Proper biological function is just proper biological function - it gains value if anyone values it. Proper biological function would have value if you would think that value is a natural thing - somehow an attribute of that organism that has proper biological function maybe. That is what interests me most now - what is value in the most general level. I also believe it is a concept in human mind but that doesn´t automatically mean that I am an emotivist or prescriptivist (at least i think so right now). The other options would be that value is somehow a separate entity existing in other entities. (Sounds absurd, but some actually must believe it, although implicitly). The second option is that it is a property like secondary qualities (like colour). There are problems with this view also.
1/29/06 2:55 PM
Indrek R.

LOL there are four lines of "proper biological function" underneath each other in my last post
1/29/06 3:44 PM
FudoMyoo

Yes, me too. Indrek summed up what I would have said.

"do you mean strictly in regard to only ethical statements?"

ethical and also estetical judgements.

1/30/06 4:08 PM
Indrek R.

Edited: 30-Jan-06
Hey I wanna continue this topic tomorrow, but Fudo, could you drop me an e-mail to intzz@ut.ee! Greets, Indrek
1/31/06 7:19 AM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 31-Jan-06
mail sent

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.