UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> alpo's Ribs

8/12/07 12:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Zoso
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Aug-07
My first attempt at these. Marinating now. I will have to grill it to finish it as I dont have a smoker. I had to leave out the bourbon as I simply didn't have any.
6/21/08 5:23 PM
Zoso
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bump it up for making these tomorrow.
6/23/08 9:11 AM
2 Giant Eggs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
6/23/08 11:10 AM
cycklops
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

post some pics of these fuckers
6/23/08 11:02 PM
Zoso

Ha mine are all gone. I only make them a couple times a year.
6/28/08 12:00 AM
Cousin Eddie

I have a rack of these marinating in the fridge for tomorrow, I decided I need to finally try these.

Would this recipe work for spareribs as well? They're much cheaper at my supermarket.
6/28/08 12:15 AM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ain't gonna be as good, but that's just a product of the meat. They will still be good, though.
6/28/08 5:05 PM
Cousin Eddie

They look awesome so far. Just took them out of the oven and put them on the grill, one section literally fell apart in half when I picked it up out of the pan. Two more hours and I'm gonna be one happy camper.
7/6/08 10:25 PM
crescentwrench
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/06/08 10:25 PM
Oh, I did some ribs alpo-style for my uncle's 4th party.  They were spareribs, I didn't want to take too much advantage of my "brother works in the meat dept" discount.  Plus a rack of beef brontosaurus ribs for my loony sister's anti-pork crusaders.  I'd like to give a review of the results but I DIDN'T EVEN GET TO EAT A SINGLE ONE BECAUSE MY SELFISH FUCK OF A FAMILY INHALED THEM BEFORE I EVEN FUCKING GOT A SNIFF OF PORKY GOODNESS!!!

So I don't know.  The tiny molecule of meat I pulled off one of the racks to test the chewyness was really good.  But I did get a lot of "these are incredible"s, "I've never had anything like this"s, and "you should sell these"s. 

Next time I'll check my ratios.  More ribs, less shoulder.  My pulled pork was also a hit though, I just made a crap-ton of it.  
7/7/08 2:36 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tf, pulled pork recipe?
7/7/08 5:44 PM
crescentwrench
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh that's nothing fancy at all.  Just a rub of mostly brown sugar, paprika, and whatever else is on hand that makes a rub.  I make enough to really coat it out.  Trim as much fat as you can easily reach.  Then coat the whole shoulder with regular French's mustard to hold all that rub you pile on.  Then it's just 225 for about 8 hours?  It took about that long for 20lbs.  If it gets too barky after 4 or so you can cover and finish in the oven.  It's done when you can pull the bone out. 

Then grab your cotton and latex gloves and go to town.  If there are any hard parts on the outside I save those and either make myself a bark sandwich or mince them up really fine and add to the mix.

Then I Carolina it up a little by tossing it all with some apple cider vinegar and a touch of hot sauce.  If it needs it I'll also put in some (uncontaminated) rub mixture.  They put coleslaw on their sammiches there too ya know. 
7/17/08 6:45 PM
Cousin Eddie

The baby backs I did were fucking superb. This past weekend I tried it with spareribs, and like Mullet said, they weren't quite the same, but still good overall. For the spareribs, I used Root Beer vice Dr. Pepper, and cut down on the soy sauce by half. Still turned out really well.

Alpo's Ribs
7/18/08 11:27 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crescentwrench - Then it's just 225 for about 8 hours?  It took about that long for 20lbs. 

It took 10 hrs today to do a 6 and 7 lber at 225+.. with the last couple hours being in the oven at 325. I did one last week and it took 5 hrs.. why the the huge difference in time? Can you guys accurately predict cooking time for pulled pork... kind of hit or miss for me.
7/19/08 4:05 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The thing I like about this thread is how people reply to each other like months later.
11/11/08 2:28 PM
Izzy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Making the ribs tonight for the first time since I have the day off. Thanks Alpo!!
11/12/08 1:07 PM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/12/08 1:10 PM
Okay, I need to try this. I'm wondering if instead of 300 for four hours maybe 250 would be better? I'm sure I'm using the wrong term but aren't we trying to braise the ribs?Anyway thanks for posting the recipe
11/12/08 1:20 PM
alpo

I've tried that, but it doesn't seem to make any difference, verses the higher temperature for a shorter amount of time.  I just do it this way because it takes less time.
11/12/08 3:46 PM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, I'll stick with 300.
11/14/08 5:34 PM
Izzy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just a follow up..
I did the ribs at 315 for 3 hours and the biggest challenge was trying to keep them ON the bone when serving them. I also used the Jack Daniels glaze, was better the second day.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.