UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Strider Knife, CHEAP!!!

1/29/06 12:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Aaron
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jan-06

unfortunately you can't stock up on these - only one at this price. http://cgi.ebay.com/Strider-Custom-Knives-MSC-Damascus-Fixed-Blade_W0QQitemZ6597028797QQcategoryZ43325QQcmdZViewItem
1/29/06 12:02 AM
Aaron
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jan-06
Here's a folder http://cgi.ebay.com/Mick-Strider-Custom-Damascus-NM-SmF_W0QQitemZ6597040247QQcategoryZ43325QQcmdZViewItem
2/5/06 6:39 PM
RoninGear
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Feb-06
Their folder blades are way too thick imo.
2/6/06 6:40 PM
krept
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Feb-06
Bill at Alaska Gun is a great guy to deal with. Of course for that money I'd be buying another firearm instead. "Thick" all depends on what you want your blade to do. They certainly aren't fillet knives. I have a GB in my pocket now... ironically, no tape measure around. I believe that the blade on it is 3/16" thick, a pretty common thickness. Ayways, it's about as thick as putting two nickles together. The other common blade stock for folders is 1/8"... IMO that's too thin. It all depends on the grind, too... if you're used to hollow ground blades, a flat ground blade in the same barstock will feel a lot thicker. 1/4" stock is crazy thick for a folder. I think Airkat uses it for their blades.
2/7/06 10:46 AM
RoninGear

Edited: 07-Feb-06
3/16" is too thick for a folder designed to CUT. 1/8" is more than enough. I know they're selling the indistructable look. If I need a pry bar, I'd use a pry bar.
2/7/06 1:18 PM
krept
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Feb-06 01:18 PM
This is a pretty good read if you are interested... (it's titled "A Word or Two on Sharpened Crowbars" by Mick Strider: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1231668&postcount=1 I'm a bid Spyderco fan. In fact, when their new Pikal blade comes out, I'll almost certainly switch out the GB for that one and carry it every day. They use 1/8" steel AND hollowground their knives, so they slice very well. Again, I realize you said "IMO" and are not speaking in absolutes, as if it doesn't work for everyone and I know you are into serious shit where you have to depend on a blade sometimes. It's just that, well... even as thick as they are, Striders cut very well. Just IMO... cheers
2/7/06 5:48 PM
RoninGear

Thanks for the link. He's defending his knives in the same manner every other tactical knife maker does..."If it fails a soldier could die!!". Of course 99% of owners are the geeks he speaks of and would be better served with a blade designed to cut first. I'm as much a knife guy as anyone. Owned my share of Spydercos, Benchmades, SAKs, and Leathermans. I currently own two Chris Reeve Sebenzas too. My Leatherman Charge pretty much killed the need to carry anything else. IMO soldiers should be issued a multitool. Not as sexy a "tactical" folder, but way more useful.
2/7/06 7:53 PM
krept

Did you see this story about a Salvadoran soldier kickin some ass in Iraq with what is probably a Buck knockoff? http://www.washingtontimes.com/world/20040503-115511-7092r.htm I'm sure a LM could do that, but still :). It's good to give yourself an advantage when you can. As far as 99% of the owners are geeks and would be better served with a blade that cuts first... how do you feel about the ones that conceal a handgun while gardening, walking the dog, etc? Should they have that trigger-lockable, double safety, heavy DAO clunker or a fighting piece like a 1911 or Glock? Again, I don't know if you used a Strider that was abused (and if you have S30V you know it's a bitch to sharpen), but when maintained they can CUT. It's whether or not you need to cut through bailing wire or a delicate envelope that makes the difference, I guess.
2/9/06 2:05 PM
RoninGear

Edited: 09-Feb-06
Yeah, cool story. Having a knife is way more important than which knife... I didn't mean to imply that I've owned or used a Strider. Sorry for the confusion. I have used plenty of knives though. Thinner is just always better for cutting. With modern tougher steels, knives should be getting thinner, not thicker. Butchers and chefs don't use thick knives. A multi-tool would cut the bailing wire better than a thick bladed knife and would have a thin blade to open a letter. There's a cool show on the Discovery Channel called "Survivor Man". It's worth checking out. The guy spends a few day in survival situations in different climates. He always has a multi-tool with him and uses it constantly.
2/19/06 3:24 PM
TKDFighter

Edited: 19-Feb-06
The multi-tool and the fighting knife are two entirely different creatures. For the person going into harm's way I'd opt with the fighting blade over a multi-tool in most cases. In all reality though, it is easy enough to carry both. A multi-tool can get a lot of work done for you, however there are some tasks it can't do and this needs to be properly recognized.
2/20/06 11:42 PM
RoninGear

Edited: 20-Feb-06
No argument from me on their difference. But even for an infantryman a multi-tool will get used way more often. Of course if I was a ground pounder I'd definately have the new Marine Corps bayonet and e-tool with me. Those 3 will do all the cutting a grunt needs. Anything more is dead weight imo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.