UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> THROWING KNIVES...

1/30/06 3:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LeftJab22
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jan-06 03:20 AM

I recently bought a pair of throwing knives but I have no idea on how to throw a knife? I've see it done in the movies all the time and it looks easy enough? but I know theres more to it than just throwing it like a baseball.. Could anyone please give me any tips..thanks?
1/30/06 11:05 AM
TONTO-Dpg

Edited: 30-Jan-06
Here's a good place to start.... http://sayoc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=465&highlight=throwing+knives
1/31/06 2:32 PM
El_Clap
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Jan-06
What kind of knives did you get? How long are they?
2/1/06 2:01 AM
Sticky Jones
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Feb-06
Knives are not for throwing.
2/1/06 11:27 AM
TONTO-Dpg

"Knives are not for throwing." Do little more research and you'll see that learning to projectile with a blade can be a great advantage.
2/1/06 1:00 PM
El_Clap
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actually, I have a book that shows you how to balance your knives so you can throw them without turns. I haven't had a chance to try this guys method fully, as I live in an apartment and throw into some cardboard, but the concept seems like it would work.
2/2/06 2:39 AM
Sticky Jones
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Feb-06 02:45 AM
Your effective range with a throwing knife can easily be closed by an opponent who chooses to keep his knife in his hands. You stick him once, and if he doesn't die on the spot, or if you just miss, he's carving you the fuck up.
2/2/06 10:10 AM
Willybone
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Feb-06
I've see it done in the movies all the time and it looks easy enough
I cured myself of that delusion at 15, when I bought a set of knives and a book, and practiced for weeks. That shit is HARD.
Forum member Bull_in_chinashop's dad is into frontier sport competitions, like knife and tomahawk throwing, and he says that even at a fixed, known distance, and with time to ready himself, he can't get them to stick every time.
2/2/06 11:14 AM
TONTO-Dpg

"Your effective range with a throwing knife can easily be closed by an opponent who chooses to keep his knife in his hands. You stick him once, and if he doesn't die on the spot, or if you just miss, he's carving you the fuck up." You are assuming that your opponent only has one blade. =========== "Forum member Bull_in_chinashop's dad is into frontier sport competitions, like knife and tomahawk throwing, and he says that even at a fixed, known distance, and with time to ready himself, he can't get them to stick every time." You don't have to get a stick every time. Imagine a blade being projectiled from 15 away traveling 65mph....and the hilt hits you......ouch....
2/2/06 1:27 PM
Sticky Jones

"You are assuming that your opponent only has one blade." I assume nothing. For the sake of argument, I made both parties equal. Throw rocks, not knives.
2/2/06 2:20 PM
TONTO-Dpg

Edited: 02-Feb-06 02:21 PM
In that one isolated situation. One on One and each "player" has 1 blade. No, you would not want to projectile your ONLY weapon. But only in this situation. But....for the sake of arguement, let's take into consideration the fact you won't be able to know how many blades a person is carrying just my looking at them. To make a blanket statement like... "Throw rocks, not knives." You've got to do a little more research. You cannot assume that your opponant has only one blade. You cannot assume that you will not REACT to the fact that something is being hurled at you.....and you will. Closing on your opp. in a straight line will be improbable if not impossible. ============== "Your effective range with a throwing knife can easily be closed by an opponent who chooses to keep his knife in his hands." Effective range can vary on the person who's throwing the blade. Someone who practices on a regular basis may be able to "effectively" projectile a blade 20,25 ft. It makes it a little harder to close in on that opp. from that kind of distance.
2/2/06 2:40 PM
4 Ranges

Check out Bob Taylor. He has a system that looks interesting and effective.
2/2/06 5:10 PM
Sticky Jones

"Closing on your opp. in a straight line will be improbable if not impossible." Armed or unarmed, you should never come straight in on an opponent. ALways exploit the angles. "Effective range can vary on the person who's throwing the blade. Someone who practices on a regular basis may be able to "effectively" projectile a blade 20,25 ft. It makes it a little harder to close in on that opp. from that kind of distance." That is a short fucking distance. It can be traversed in a second. Look at the octagon. It's 32 feet across. Throwing knives are for ninja movies. How many knives do you walk around with at any given time?
2/2/06 5:39 PM
TONTO-Dpg

Edited: 02-Feb-06 06:05 PM
Your arguement has no merit. You just contradicted yourself, and made my point. "Armed or unarmed, you should never come straight in on an opponent. Always exploit the angles." But.... "That is a short fucking distance. It can be traversed in a second. Look at the octagon. It's 32 feet across." Exploit the angles....but someone can traverse 32 feet (in a straight line) in ONE SECOND. How much time does it take to traverse the Octagon while "exploiting the angles" and DODGING AND EVADING projectiles..... I bet it takes a lot longer than one second. But how would I know that.....Oh...that's right. I've actually trained with someone throwing projectiles at me while I trying to close in on my opp. It's an eye opening experience. =============== "How many knives do you walk around with at any given time?" I carry two at all times....at least.... Carrying one blade is like loading a gun with one bullet.
2/2/06 5:56 PM
Sticky Jones

"But how would I know that.....Oh...that's right. I've actually trained with someone throwing projectiles at me while I trying to close in on my opp. It's an eye opening experience." Dodgeball doesn't count.:) I never said shit about closing the distance in a straight line. With proper footwork, you can close and cut off your opponent nice and fast.
2/2/06 6:10 PM
Calbert

Training with the Atienza and Sayoc Guros have taught me that knife throwing can be pretty difficult, but it can be very effective. When people think of throwing they often think of throwing from a long distance. That is a great skill and I like it a lot. However, my preferred projectile range is the close range handle throw (about 3 feet away or closer). Releasing the knife at this range makes it almost impossible for your opponent to dodge it, and it allows you to drive the knife in with greater force (sometimes how deep your thrust goes is limited by your grip strength). TONTO-Dpg is correct in that you shouldn't put too much emphasis on the blade sticking. Sticking is important, but having a big piece of metal slam into your face is also pretty bad. For instruction, check out TONTO-Dpg's link; there's good stuff on there from Guro Steve L. and others. Also, you might want to check out the Sayoc DVD "Sama Sama 2004." Tuhon Tom Kier has a good segment on there regarding projectiles that's about 8 to 10 minutes long. I'm not sure if you want to purchase a DVD for just one segment, but there is other good FMA information on there so I think it's worth it. C.J.
2/2/06 6:21 PM
TONTO-Dpg

Edited: 02-Feb-06 06:27 PM
By saying this.... "That is a short fucking distance. It can be traversed in a second. Look at the octagon. It's 32 feet across." ...you IMPLIED it would take no time at all to close on your opponent (in a straight line). Read what you just posted...."ITS 32 FEET ACROSS" You made my point for me. By using projectiles you change an opp.'s path to you from a straight or semi-straight line to a more zig-zag type path. What does that do for you if you are the one doing the throwing......Everybody together now....It buys you time! Time to draw your primary weapon (which should be a gun for God's sake), time to projectile again...or maybe to turn the tables on your opp. and enter ON HIM as he dodges; it puts him on the defensive before he ever gets to enter on you. ========= "Throwing knives are for ninja movies." This is verbal equivalent of "I know you are but what am I"....You tried to invalidate the use of a blade as a projectile. You've done nothing but prove my point for me. Put it to the test...try it out....train with it....you'll see it's not something that you can just scoff at. This type of training carries merit. BTW...I love dodgeball....best PE game on the planet.
2/2/06 7:10 PM
Sticky Jones

Edited: 02-Feb-06 07:13 PM
Saying I made your point doesn't make it true. Taking my words out of context and adding your own words doesn't make your point either. Any place you need more than one knife, you should have a gun anyway. The knife is your backup in case you do get into close quarters. You don't throw a hammer at a nail. A knife is a tool with a specific and practical purpose. It's clear we come from separate schools of thought, and neither of us are going to change the other's mind. Let's just agree that knives kick ass and get on with our lives.
2/3/06 6:26 AM
Steven Lefebvre

Edited: 03-Feb-06
Hello Everyone, Sorry for my long absence from the forums, I have been working on remodeling a new home and it takes most of my spare time!! Anyway, this is always a controversial issue--throwing blades--, but what is the premise when someone disagrees with the thrown weapon? Is it "I might miss", "It won't stop my opponent" , "Why throw a perfectly good weapon" , "My instructor told me not to?" Well probably most of these ideas have been passed around so let's dispell a fe myths about throwing your weapons. Projectiles of any type have been around as long as human beings have walked the earth. Not only this buteven in the present time projectiles are a precursor to many riots, and fights(think about those beer bottles flying in the bar??)So why not incorporate this tactic into blade fighting? Do I have to throw my weapon? No I don't have to but if I have never been exposed to this tactic it will never come into play in my defense either. A thrown weapon, blade ashtray, shuriken, pen, rock....will cause an opponent to react, whether he is hit or not. This reaction can open the door for me to either escape or to enter.(personally I prefer to run away screaming if possible!!) Now you may notice that I continue to use the word "projectiles" well that is because anything has a possible projectile use, and yes firearms are a part of this type of training( I love my range time!!). A blade is a tool, no doubt about that, but I have more than one hammer in my toolbox why not another blade or projectile for my self protection? Train Hard it is the Way! Gumagalang Guro Steve L. www.Bujinkandojo.net
2/3/06 3:51 PM
Sticky Jones

How much time do you spend at the range throwing your gun at the target? Now I'm just being silly.
2/3/06 4:53 PM
Steven Lefebvre

LOL!!! I hope to have a new range on the backside of my property! I'll have to give the throwing a practice there!!(LOL) Train Hard it is the Way! Gumagalang Guro Steve L. www.Bujinkandojo.net
2/3/06 8:45 PM
Willybone
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not opposed to the idea of throwing blades. I was just laughing at the perception we all get from the movies that it's easy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.