UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Deviated Septum

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/2/06 1:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian McLaughlin
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Feb-06

Took a hard head but to the nose in a grappling competition and now I Haven't been able to breath from either nostril for 4 days. Went to the doctor and she said my nose was so swollen she couldn't really see what was going on, so she percribed me prednisone (sp?) an anti-inflamatory steroid. I'm seeing an ear-nose-throat guy tomorrow to have my X-Rays looked at. So far they think its a deviated septum. The doc made it sound like no big deal, but I wanted to know what the average recovery time is. They said I may need a small surgical procedure. I'd like to be back to boxing and MMA sparring ASAP
2/2/06 12:41 PM
jamesi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got one of those years ago, thanks to a very well thrown left hook. It hurt more than any broken nose I ever had...With ice for the swelling goes down. Depending on pain tolerance will bother you for at least a month if you spare...(my expierence anyways.)It adds character.
2/2/06 5:51 PM
Brian McLaughlin
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Turns out I had a Septal Hematoma. The doc had to make a few incisions in my nose and drain the blood out, afterwards he put a plug in my nostril. He said recovery should take about 2 weeks
5/7/07 3:35 PM
TSMontana
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-May-07 03:41 PM
I got my nose broken about 2 years ago from someone trying to escape my RNC attempt (btw it worked). The bone healed up straight, but I ended up with a deviated septum. I need to flair my nostril up to breathe in one side, but it's bearable. The bridge of my nose seems to be thicker now after the break. Doctor said he'd just shave a bit of bone off my bridge and cut the cartilage and let it heal up with silicone tubes up my nose. Would it be worth considering getting corrective surgery while training in MMA? Are there long-term repercussions letting this septum stay deviated?
5/8/07 5:21 PM
TSMontana
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-May-07
ttt
7/14/07 4:17 PM
TSMontana

Edited: 14-Jul-07 04:21 PM
Day after surgery here. I had one Vicodin after surgery and didn't take a pain med after that. They corrected the septum, did a turbinate reduction and even filed down the bridge of my nose (how they did that from the inside without a cut on the outside, I don't want to know). Yes, blood mucus sucks, and the "mustache", but no packing, and I can breathe out my right nostril better even right now than I could pre-surgery. My prediction is that I'll be breathing even better than before I had my nose busted.
1/25/08 11:36 AM
Reenz

Edited: 25-Jan-08
the week after surgery sucks! i had splints in my nose and i couldn't remove them for a week
1/25/08 1:22 PM
TSMontana

Edited: 25-Jan-08
Wow, can't believe it's been six months. I'm breathing better, but my prediction about being able to breathe better before my nose got busted didn't come to pass.
1/26/08 11:41 AM
TOEISM

Edited: 28-Jan-08 08:14 PM
I got diagnosed with a Deviated septum today by my ENT. He gave me the option of Septoplasty or septodermoplasty(which uses a piece of skin for healing) How long did it take to heal so you can roll/spar again?
1/29/08 5:24 PM
TOEISM

Edited: 29-Jan-08
ttt
2/7/08 5:54 PM
TOEISM

Edited: 07-Feb-08
Update: going for my surgery March 20. I think I'll go with the septodermoplasty. He said I'll have to leave splints in there for a week.
2/7/08 11:50 PM
TSMontana

Edited: 07-Feb-08
The doc told me, for mine, I had to lay off contact for about 8 weeks. Sounds like yours is going to be a bit more extensive, though. I just had the septoplasty. Best of luck with the surgery and recovery.
2/8/08 1:06 AM
ashleigh11
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Feb-08
if you're not going to stop sparring why bother getting it done? not many doctors will say no if you ask them to operate, but it could happen again and the scarring from the first procedure would make it harder to get a good result.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.