UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Tukong Moosul?

2/5/06 9:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
oblongo
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Feb-06

Anyone here have any experience with this? Supposedly created by the South Korean military. But I thought they all did taekwondo. How's this different?
2/15/06 8:45 PM
Grundy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Feb-06
There is an article on it in Spec Ops Journal, when they talk about the South Korean SF. According to the article, some guy defected from North Korea and taught the South Koreans the fighting methods the North Koreans were using(Gyuk Sool). There was more emphasis place on strangles and killing blows than in TKD. They then got a Hapkido master involved and from those three they created Teukgong Moosool. There are a lot of pictures of it in the magazine, mostly they are just breaking bottles and such. According to the article it is taught to the Special Forces and Rangers. Hope that helps, Jason
8/3/07 3:39 AM
fokket

Edited: 03-Aug-07
I have a friend in Korean Special Forces and he summed it up like this 'Pretty damn good martial arts if you want to end up in jail' Meaning it concentrates on killing/disabling someone.
8/20/07 4:19 PM
Streetwise

Edited: 20-Aug-07
I have met Master Yi, the Tukong master here in Austin, and have trained with several of his black belts. Yi is (I should say WAS, I haven't seen him in 12 years) a classic TMA bad ass, tough, fast, in great shape, but prone to trying some really goofy stuff on you when sparring. I have no doubt he could have held his own in any likely street confrontation. On the other hand, most of his black belts seem to be "baffled by the bullshit", wannabe Seagal, would get their cookie money beaten out of them by the average girl scout, pencil necked, babble a lot of odd mystical stuff, D&D playing, goofballs.
8/24/07 8:43 PM
glock4life
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Aug-07
^^Sounds like many BB's i've met, from many different TMA's. Unfortunately.
8/27/07 3:40 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 27-Aug-07
^^^^ That's the case because you have to ask yourself what demographic is attracted to martial arts in the first place. Once you realize this, you'll understand why there are SOOOO many more people involved in McDojo'ish TMA's than there are in boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ, wrestling, etc. Basically, people take up a martial art because they lack confidence, i.e. want to learn how to protect themselves. Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ, wrestling, etc. forces them to confront this head-on since they are practiced competitively...basically, you can't fool yourself into thinking you kick ass when someone better than you is playing with you. However, this can be a very scary and uncomfortable thing for many people. With TMA's, there is no "confrontation". Just a bunch of "theory" that never gets tested so it's more comfortable for a lot of people out there who'd rather live with the fantasy of being able to kick-ass rather than confronting the reality and doing something to improve things.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.