UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> thoughts on NRA?

2/7/06 2:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DebNel
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Feb-06

Anyone for or against and why?
2/8/06 2:26 AM
DebNel

Edited: 08-Feb-06
The reason I ask is- it's part of my job to sell NRA memberships but the calls are scripted- all about the UN trying to pass a treaty that will take our guns away. ect. and maybe you have received a call like this-"what would you do if the UN came into your home and tried to take away your guns?" I think we could get a lot more members on board with something different. I guess I'm looking for ideas to pass on.
2/8/06 3:02 AM
Hater Huntin

Edited: 08-Feb-06
NRA for life.
2/16/06 1:43 AM
DebNel

Edited: 16-Feb-06
Yes they do.. you get a membership card, shooters cap, $1000. worth of protection against firearm theft loss or damage and a monthly magazine subscription to one of: American Hunter, American Rifleman, America's First Freedom or Woman's Outlook. Hater Huntin are you a life time member?
2/17/06 10:17 AM
GaryG
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Feb-06
I wont join because of the following: 1. Their description of the ATF as jack booted thugs (I'm paraphrasing)many years ago. 2. "what would you do if the UN came into your home and tried to take away your guns" Inflammatory, misleading statements like the above. Tell me the facts, give me your sources, I'll make my own decisions. 3.The NRA's policy seems to be all guns, all the time. To radical for me. They dont seem to be an organization for sportsmen or conservationists. Seem to be a group of extremist militia posers.
3/19/06 6:24 PM
jscorbett
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Mar-06
GaryG, Do you suppose that the folks who want to take your guns away from you are any less radical? Check this out: When LaPierre debated the head of IANSA on global disarming, he asked her that if one of her female loved ones was going to be raped, should the loved one be able to use a gun to defend herself? The nutbar's only answer was that we could eliminate rape through education.
3/21/06 12:28 PM
GaryG
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Mar-06
"The nutbar's only answer was that we could eliminate rape through education." I hope the audience responded with uncontrolled laughter. Seems like she'd lose all credibility with that statement. Your point is well taken. The NRA should discredit idiots like that, instead they seem to have sided with the looney militia types.
3/29/06 5:05 PM
dcfp

Edited: 29-Mar-06
I used to be a member but I got sick of all of the junk mail and phone calls asking for more money. I got something practically every other day. I think the organization is good but they need to seriously rethink their fund collection methods.
3/30/06 2:19 AM
DebNel

Edited: 30-Mar-06
Gary- my job response to you would be 1 and 3 I'd put together and respond that The NRA is a non- partisan org focused on protecting our 2nd amend rights. As a gun owner, I'm sure you are aware that there are a number of individuals in both parties that want to take that right away. As with any large org, there are individual memebers of the NRA with different ideas but it really comes down to the fact that each member wants to protect their right to own their gun. If you agree with that mission, and I think you do, then we should sign you up.... 2 I would tell you that Rebecca Peters and the UN are planning to pass a treaty in less then 2 yrs that could wipe out our 2nd amend rights.. Keep in mind Gary that the majority of the people we talk to know that we don't mean the UN is literally going to come to their door.. it's an attention catcher- to get people thinking- I think the majority also don't feel that the actual threat of this happening in the US is that great but they get the point that that is why it is so important for us to give support to those officials who support our 2nd amend rights.. if a majority of anti gunners were to be elected then this threat would become much more realistic.. anti gunners are happy chipping away our rights little by little.
3/30/06 2:43 AM
DebNel

and dcfp to respond to you I would say: As an active citizen, I'm sure you get your fair share of calls and letters. It's not our intent to burden you. We rely on the voluntary support of individuals and we know that you can't always give as much or as often as you would like to. We take our role of keeping you informed about the activities of the anti-gunners very seriously. So as a supporter dcfp you should not be offended- you can decline at anytime- you aren't expected to donate everytime you get a call or a letter- the support you do give ex 1 yr $35 membership is appreciated even if you don't contribute beyond the membership but the mailings and phone calls aren't a waste because there are those out there who do contribute additionally and that wait for those mailings and phone calls- I've had guys say "I wondered where you guys have been, thought you might have forgotten about me, I've been wanting to renew" or contribute ect. Also when you become a member it's not all about the money- it also has to do with numbers and being able to say this many people are with us and support protecting our 2nd amend rights.. the larger the group the more serious they will be taken. I shouldn't say this but some people probably do receive more calls and mailings then they should due to duplicates in the comp systems and different lists but I don't know how they would go about fixing that.. some people use their middle names and then they are in there as 2 people one with a middle name and again with their first and with people moving and address changes or errors and multiple family members in the same households or using other people's phone numbers or a work place.. ect.
3/30/06 4:23 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"3.The NRA's policy seems to be all guns, all the time. To radical for me. They dont seem to be an organization for sportsmen or conservationists. Seem to be a group of extremist militia posers." Agreed. We know the far left is whacked out, as is the far right. Middle ground people! I want an organization with common sense!
3/30/06 6:51 PM
jscorbett
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guys, So far as the letters and phone calls for money, you have to realize the enomority of the NRA mission. The NRA has no way to raise money except that way. They have over 170 programs they have to fund; I think that would be hard on $35 dues. I will be applying to them shortly for a grant to fund a $6,000 shooting simulator for the high school wildlife course that I teach. Look at it this way, if you have some money to give, open the letters or take the calls. If not, don't, and realize that NRA is trying to preserve your rights the best way possible. Also, remember that George Soros pumps million$ annually into trying to disarm you.
7/27/06 6:15 PM
Dark Knight
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Jul-06
They push all the time because they can never let up. The anti gunners are trying at any level. They try to ban guns in towns, states and the national level, they had their heyday under Clinton. Their goal is the slow chipping away of rights. When a caller from one of these places call, thank them for calling, give if you can (It goes to so many good programs as said above) and if you cannot give let them know. I know they call and mail all the time, but I appreciate you guys when you do help. BTW I went to the olympic training center when I was 17 for trap shooting, I give to the US shooting team every year so other kids have the same chance.
7/29/06 10:56 AM
StephenL

Edited: 29-Jul-06
i hated the letters with the big underlined statements with exclamation points. !!!!! i considered applying to an internship for their HQ. lived in oregon at the time. was told that i'd have to fly there for an interview on this 3 month internship. asked, 'so i'm to fly across the country to interview for a 3 month internship that i may not get?" yes. they said. fuck them i said. UN treaties mean nothing. how can gun rights be taken away when many states are passing ccw laws and no retreat laws? stephen
7/31/06 9:33 AM
jscorbett

Edited: 31-Jul-06
StephenL, The states are passing these laws partially because of the organized influence of the NRA. The internship was part of what program or degree? thanks, jc
7/31/06 9:41 AM
Dark Knight
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Jul-06 10:02 AM
8/2/06 12:13 PM
StephenL

Edited: 02-Aug-06
i understand that they're the driving force behind many ccw laws. i worked for the rebubs on the 94 campaign. i was at party hq when voters of the brady and assault weapons bills lost. i was in a poly sci program at the time. stephen
8/2/06 12:47 PM
Dark Knight

That must have been a cool experience.
8/2/06 8:13 PM
jscorbett

OK - StephenL is my idol now.
8/11/06 6:55 PM
Gib
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Aug-06
"he asked her that if one of her female loved ones was going to be raped, should the loved one be able to use a gun to defend herself?" LOL, thats such a rediculous argument though. You put someone in a position where no reasonable person would ever disagree with your point of view. Its no different then her asking the guy "Would you agree to disarming everyone if it GUARNTEED that no one would ever die due to firearms. I suppose all it showed was that she is not a reasonable person
10/4/06 5:13 AM
BJJSavate

Edited: 04-Oct-06
10/4/06 7:16 AM
Dark Knight

"1. Their description of the ATF as jack booted thugs (I'm paraphrasing)many years ago." The United States House of Representatives passed H.R. 5092, the ?Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) Modernization and Reform Act of 2006,? with a bi-partisan vote of 277-131 In September of this year. They recieved many complaints and congress for being involved in the Richmond Va gun show where people were being harrassed by the BATFE.
10/4/06 9:26 PM
BJJSavate

10/4/06 9:26 PM
BJJSavate

tt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.