UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> New Fish (Saltwater Aquarium)

2/7/06 7:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BigEyedFish
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Feb-06

Just picked up a firefish goby.  Snapped a cool pic of him.  Thought Id share it...

2/9/06 10:05 AM
Benjamin Glossop
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Feb-06
David Vieira BJJ / Tampa CombaT
That is a very cool looking fish!
3/16/06 5:35 AM
studivionkey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Mar-06
Nice! Very exotic looking fish. Are saltwater fish harder to manage than fresh water?
3/16/06 9:06 AM
BigEyedFish
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Mar-06
um, depends on the size of the system and whether or not you have coral in it. If it is under 40 gallons and just fish with live rock, its a cinch to maintain once the environment stabilizes. All I did when I had my smaller tank was add fresh RO water when it evaporated, and cleaned the glass with a magnetic buffer device. Simple. My advice to you if youre interested is to find someone who is into the trade and use some of their water and substrate so that you already have a stable environment.
4/1/06 11:45 PM
BigEyedFish

Edited: 01-Apr-06

Here are the latest pics...

Full view - About 100lbs live Fiji Rock (great natural filter)

True Percula Clownfish (4 years old), Anthothelia Encrusting Coral, Hammer Coral

Pink Zooanthus Coral, Clownfish, Allen's Damselfish, Pulsing Xenia (top right - each bud pulses and looks like a hand opening and closing)

Pink Zooanthus, Bicolor Angelfish

Eel Goby

Swimming...(He'll get around 18 inches long and 3" diameter)

Electric Flame Scallop (you can see a little flash of the blue electric current that flickers on and off)

4/2/06 4:02 PM
BigEyedFish

Edited: 02-Apr-06
No kidding. Its hypnotic, but so serene. Its a nice thing to have in the house and help you unwind. They are so interesting and fun to have. Highly recommended.
4/4/06 7:36 PM
Buddy Lembeck
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Apr-06
Very cool, thanks for sharing.
4/4/06 9:42 PM
Tyson86
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Apr-06
Man, that picture alone makes me want to get a fish tank.
4/6/06 8:17 PM
BigEyedFish

Edited: 06-Apr-06 08:22 PM

I just put these in today:

The pic of this Elegance Coral doesnt really do it justice.  Cool green color with gold, pink, and yellow flecks.  If my Bicolor Angelfish gets too close to it, he's getting the net.   

A closer view

another pic (my engineer goby is freaked out to the left of it)

This is my new Mandarin Goby.  He's so striking (hovering over a new patch of gold, white, and blue Zooanthus coral). 

Most Mandarin Gobys die in captivity because they only eat live organisms (copopods, anthropods) and people don't have the proper amount of live rock to facilitate organism growth, or the seperate sub tank, or refiguim, so that a culture of live organisms can sustain itself and regenerate the population without exposure to predators.  I had to buy one of these (300 bucks later) to hang on the tank for a refugium (its cool to decorate the fuge to though..).  When you get into the hobby you tend to do crazy stuff like spend 300 dollars on a sub tank so that you can have one fish...

4/7/06 9:15 PM
Buddy Lembeck
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Apr-06
Simply Beautiful.
4/9/06 10:43 PM
BigEyedFish

Edited: 09-Apr-06 10:49 PM

My new Mandarin Goby - maybe the most amazing looking fish in the trade

Electric Flame Scallop and Hermit Crab

4/13/06 1:05 AM
lionsdengrappler

Edited: 13-Apr-06
very nice setup, how long have you had it up? do you have any problems with the xenia getting out of control? it grow crazy fast, I have some that I've had for about a week and a half and its already sprouted a few new "heads". do you keep any sps's?
4/13/06 9:56 AM
BigEyedFish

Edited: 13-Apr-06
Thanks. Ive been running the tank for about 5 years - I recently dumped my 25 gallon into a 46 gallon bow. I know that the xenia can get pretty crazy, I have them isolated on a rock thats not really touching other rocks, although it is leaping off of the rock so to speak. As of right now, its fine. If it gets too crazy then Ill start moving parts of it out I suppose. No sps for me, Im only running power compact flourescents. From what I understand, those types do best with hallide lighting. What is your system like, LDG? What fish are you keeping?
4/17/06 7:11 PM
lionsdengrappler

Edited: 17-Apr-06
I am running a 13 gallon (10gl with 3gl refugium)with about 15 pounds of mixed liverock, 3 1/2" CC bed. I have it running with 80watt PC. I have a percula clown, green bubbletip anemone, green clown goby, missing firefish(have not seen in a few days!) as for corals I have several color morphs of zoas, brown and green protopalypolyps(sp?)few mushrooms, colt coral (leather), pulsing xenia. and some unknown hitchhiker corals (I know one is a brain) I plan to turn my 46gallon planted FW into a reef soon. I also have a 75gallon african cichlid setup.
4/18/06 8:47 PM
BigEyedFish

Edited: 18-Apr-06

Cool.  Is your clown a true perc, or an ocellaris, and is it hosting the anemone?  I tried my trues with a bubble and it didnt work. 

These are some shots of new stuff:

My orange and purple Bullseye Pistol Shrimp (3.5 yrs old).  He is very elusive and tough to get a picture of - spends all of the day digging tunnels in the thick sandbed).  Snaps at anyone that pisses him off with his claw.  I can hear it anywhere in the house when he does. 

New green and orange Zooanthus.  I think the store made a mistake pricing this or I got a hell of a deal on it (Encrusting Anthothelia in the background - sways back and forth with the current).  My Clown always tries to get into the picture...

New Emrald Crab (top left) and Giant Flame Sea Scallop

Hammer Coral is really growing.  Just about as pleasing to the eye as a thing can get.

(top down) Green Star Polyps, Allen's Damsel, Pink Zooanthus)

4/19/06 12:05 AM
lionsdengrappler

Edited: 19-Apr-06
its an ocellaris, the clown hosted the anenome, it took him about week to find it. oh man, what did they sell that frag of zoas for? those are Eagle Eyes, very cool, and expensive. nice greens in there too. I'm picking up a hammer in a week or so, its about the size of a softball, for $30. LFS owner is a member of the same reef club,so he is holding it for me.
4/19/06 11:11 AM
BigEyedFish

Edited: 19-Apr-06
Sounds like a good deal on the hammer - theyre beautiful. I cant wait for mine to get bigger. As for my Zoo, I paid $14.00!! I am sure they had this in the wrong tank - it was placed in a frag tank, but it is no frag. The green and orange together are amazing. I didnt even see the orange in the store, but when I saw the price, I jumped all over it.
5/1/06 10:14 PM
lionsdengrappler

Edited: 01-May-06
I need to get some pics up for you, the nano is looking so awesome now, I just got a red digi monti (sps), brown/green digi monti, and a brown/green monti cap. these are low light, easy to keep sps. the hammer is in and doing great, its huge, 3 branchs and 5 heads.
5/1/06 11:33 PM
lionsdengrappler

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/armbar4u/DSC00421.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/armbar4u/DSC00419.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/armbar4u/DSC00413.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/armbar4u/DSC00409.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/armbar4u/DSC00408.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/armbar4u/DSC00407.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/armbar4u/DSC00406.jpg
5/1/06 11:37 PM
lionsdengrappler

hope those work. man, I moved the hammer coral a little before I took the shots and it didn't open fully.
5/2/06 2:04 PM
BigEyedFish

Edited: 02-May-06

Tank looks great.  I love the roots in the back - I want to add those in my refugium.  The Star Polyps are nice too.  They add so much to the tank.  Your clown looks lonely  ;)

5/5/06 8:29 PM
lionsdengrappler

Edited: 05-May-06
ttt, so its spotlighted at the top
5/6/06 8:49 AM
BigEyedFish

Edited: 06-May-06
5/8/06 10:46 PM
lionsdengrappler

Edited: 08-May-06 11:12 PM
thanks, I have my refugium set up now, so most of the mangroves are in it now.
5/8/06 10:53 PM
lionsdengrappler

Edited: 08-May-06
I have an acan lord holding at the LFS now, I have gotten in good with the guy, so he has been hooking me up. 3 heads for $30, they are usually about $60 a head retail. also got a nice looking x-mas chalice a few days ago.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.