UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Thoughts on Expos?

2/11/06 10:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Feb-06

I'm interested in going to a reptile expo and I live in southern California. What's the general thought on expos?
2/14/06 1:49 AM
DevonMichael
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Feb-06
I attended a reptile expo before I was really into snakes and it was a ton of fun. They had a huge nasty rock python that kept hitting the glass...so they had to put up cardboard!!!! He was a mean sob. They have some of the best deals and selections imaginable!!! I recommend them fully. I went to the national expo in Daytona Florida!!! that was also my first time at the beach...I had a lot of fun.
2/14/06 10:29 PM
cycklops
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Feb-06
How do I go about getting info on an expo in Southern Cali? I tried google but didn't seem to come up with anything.
2/14/06 10:29 PM
cycklops

Edited: 15-Feb-06 01:59 AM
double post
2/15/06 12:13 PM
DevonMichael

Edited: 15-Feb-06
http://irba.com/events.htm This is one of the pop shows in Cali, If none are near you I would contact them for info on other shows in Cali. Also try www.kingsnake.com Or get an account at /www.repticzone.com, they have a helpfull forum of Expos, and all the other reptilic needs. Hope that helps. Devon C.
2/15/06 1:40 PM
cycklops

Edited: 15-Feb-06
Thanks Devon. This is gonna sound like a stupid question but you can buy reptiles at these things right?
2/16/06 9:07 AM
DevonMichael

Edited: 16-Feb-06
yep, depending on what kind you go to. The one I went to was a national breeder show and it had all the big names there. It was mainly geared toward snakes, but they had beardies, turtles, geckos, invertibrates (Tarantulas, scorpions, centigrosses...yuck)...oh they even had a giant ass goliath bird eating tarantula...thing was like 14" across!!!! They had turtles, cages, supplies, feeders...a ton of stuff. It was really cool to see some of the new things out....it was a sick expo...it's a great time the prices for things are WAY cheap. They sell leopard Gecko babies for like $5 a piece....baby any snake for way cheap...though it's hard to tell if it will grow to be a pimp/bad-ass-biatch, b/c they are not from exceptional bloodlines....but it's a great way to get a certain breed and or any pet reptile at all.
2/16/06 12:07 PM
cycklops

There's an expo in Pomona in July. I think I'm gonna check it out.
2/16/06 3:06 PM
DevonMichael

Cool...it should be a blast...let us know what you think.
2/19/06 11:30 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Feb-06
Shows are the only place i will buy herps from.
2/19/06 11:33 PM
cycklops

Edited: 19-Feb-06
Why is that Spankenstyne?
2/21/06 4:45 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Feb-06
Pet stores tend to also buy them from the breeders or importers at the shows. I'd rather not pay someone else's markup and buy from their source too. Plus at shows people will tend to sell for lower than they normally do since you have so many breeders and so much competition all in close quarters. Especially near the end of a show, most had planned on not leaving with any stock left, so they'll drop their pants to unload animals.
4/1/06 12:41 AM
cycklops

Edited: 01-Apr-06
I hope this thread sticks around for a while. Looks like its gonna.
4/3/06 1:01 AM
meow mix
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Apr-06
i think that you should get one of the designer snakes.. what are they usually? pythons? they come in really cool colors and they're something out of the ordinary. i would think that maybe they might have problems though. anyone know?
4/3/06 2:50 PM
Trust
655 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Apr-06
"Plus at shows people will tend to sell for lower than they normally do since you have so many breeders and so much competition all in close quarters. Especially near the end of a show, most had planned on not leaving with any stock left, so they'll drop their pants to unload animals." I've been to probably 50 shows, and this is very true in my experience. The strategy I developed was to get there early for the opening of the show if I had something specific in mind that I really wanted and that was generally hard to find. For example, good color Okeetee corn snakes with nice thick black borders around the saddles sell fast, so if you want something like that, you must get there early. Then for good bargains, you go late in the show, when there's a few hours left. This is especially true of larger multi-day expos. In between you can keep an eye on things, see if there is something you might want to try and pick up on the cheap if possible. Generally the more common and less established (young) a given animal is, the more of an "I don't want to haul this back with me" discount you can get, but at the larger shows you can sometimes get a good deal on more exotic animals, too. I saw a guy at Daytona one year offering a pair of high yellow jungle carpet python proven breeders AND the enclosure for $350. I passed on that, even though it was tempting just on the ridiculous price alone, but I did by a pair of black corn snakes for $10 as the guy was packing up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.