UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Mr. Blauer, did I do the SPEAR?

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.

FOr real depth go vist the Underground SPEAR thread. Tony
menapace
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tony, I have a question regarding the SPEAR: Recently, I was at work(doorman) and had just asked 2 men to leave for being over the limit and starting fights etc. As they got outside they become verbally abusive but I was not too worried because everyone usually mouths off once they've been asked to leave, plus I was a good 3 or 4 feet from both of them. What I did not know was that there was a 3rd friend who had just been asked to leave by another doorman to my left who had obviously decided to wait around for his friends. He saw me trying to verbally difuse the situation with his friends and swung a right at my head. I instinctively tucked my chin down and raised my left elbow and forearm up at the last second, almost like a bon sau(sp?) in wing chun to avoid being blasted. This deflected the punch over my head, and I then used the momentum to shove him backwards causing him to trip and fall over some steps outside the club with me on top of him. A few doormen came out after being told what was happening by a cloakroom girl and managed to grab the other two and the guy I was on top of to control everything. Now, the question(finally), would the flinch response I did be considered the SPEAR? I have never trained in your SPEAR concept although I do have your Beat a Grappler tape and Rage attacks tape which touches on it briefly, as does the article I read in Black Belt. Does the SPEAR have to form a triangle, or is the SPEAR simply a flinch response that protects you from getting blasted? In retrospect I would say my flinch response was from boxing(tucking my chin and raising my hands) and simply the fact that I didn't want to take an unexpected nap. Or, was watching your tape enough to help me on a subconcious level? I would love to hear your insight.
The RealStudent

Menapace: The usual caveats: I'm neither Tony nor one of his certified instuctors. Congratulations on behaving ethically and on having your training come through for you at the critical moment! I see S.P.E.A.R concepts in what happened. Remember that Tony's S.P.E.A.R. is an acronym for Spontaneous Protection Enabling Accelerated Response. That seems to be what happened in your case. Possibly applying a SPEAR triangle would have been more effective. Possibly not. What you did worked! IMHO that is the important thing - and I strongly suspect Coach will agree. Going slightly off subject, during the Roman occupation of Judea a ceturion cme to one of the Jewish sages and mockingly asked if the sage could teach the centurion all of the Torah while the ceturion stood on one leg (if he could not the centurion would kill him.) As the centurion stood on one leg the sage calmly said: "What is hateful to you do not do to your neighbor. The rest is commentary: go and study it." You acted ethically and efficiently, attempting to defuse and spontaneously defending and counter-attacking. The rest is detail. But all this is strictly my own opinion and should not be attributed as being Tony's necessarily. RealStudent
Extreme Justice

menapace, Congrats and yes what you did was by definition the S.P.E.A.R. Too many people attribute the 'Tactical SPEAR' to being the sole component to the S.P.E.A.R. System. However, as is identified bt the acronym, anything combative or protective in nature that comes off of the body's natural 'startle survival mechanism', known as the 'flinch' is essentially the S.P.E.A.R. It is this 'flinch' which forced your body to instinctively react to the sudden attack. It was your change in your mindset which allowed you to move forward from this point, not backward as is the behavioural response. Well Done!!!! Sean
whitney

Good responses from everyone. Yes it was a S.P.E.A.R. as said before Spontaneous Protection Enabaling Accelerated Response. There are a few different SPEARS in Coach Blauers system and I would classify yours as a protective SPEAR. The SPEAR comes from the acronym used above but also depicts the form the hands take in a tactical SPEAR, which looks like the tip of a spear. To really get into the different types and ways to improve your reflex time check out some more of Coach Blauer's tapes as I think you will find them beneficial. Another thought on the incident. Don't get to comfortable just because the opponent or opponent's in this case were 3 feet away. If you are not ready mentally 3 feet might as well be 3 inches!!!! I hope this was helpful. Josh
Tony Blauer

Good comments by all. Firstly, lets clear some things up so I can take full credit for this, hence, you owe me a beer. :-) 1. Hockey players deflect overhands exactly as you did, but they do not study WING CHUN. 2. Boxing advocates slipping, or bobbing & weaving as evasions from hooking style punches. You did neither [the point being your cognitive brain did not access your muscle memory skills - but your reactive brain took over. This is the fulcrum point of my system that says that previous training is often by-passed during sudden violence, which you unintentionallly verified for us]. 4. Part of my research project involved identifying the instinctive flinches performed by all [most] humans. There are three [cover in HOW TO BEAT A GRAPPLER & SPEAR FUNDAMENTALS] The distance and oblique angle forced a combo effect of 'pushing away danger' [flinch #1] and turning to get out of the way [corkscrew-type action - flinch #2] Remeber, both are shown on both tapes you own. Phase 1 of the SPEAR System is the conversion aspect of taking an instinctive flinch and immediately converting it into something tactical [which you did]. The essence of the process is to respect the body/minds immediateness with regard to ‘survival radar’ [which you did, your intellectual self purchased the tapes and read the article]therefore the ‘seeds’ were planted. Est voila: Good guys 1 - Sleaze bags O. Good job. When I see you next, I prefer Guinness draught. :-) Tony
Kirik
1853 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC
That is so true! (the information, and the stated beer preference :-)
menapace
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you for the excellent replies everyone, and thank you Tony for your lengthy and informative reply. Needless to say I am now going into my cabinet right now to get Rage Attacks and Beat a Grappler to view them again to see if I can get even more out of them than I did before.(By the way Tony, that's the great thing about your videos. The replay value. Every time you watch them you pick up something new. It's like watching a good movie over and over) Consider your Guiness "pre-paid"(although I don't know how you stay ripped if you drink that stuff. Guiness is like a meal to me that produces drastic effects i.e the Michellin Man look). Thanks again. Take care.
Tony Blauer

The secret is that Guinness is consumed in place of my protein shakes. TB
Ausgepicht

LOL@Tony. Menapace, I couldn't agree more about the re-play value of his tapes! They are so loaded with info that a lot of it goes over your head or even worse you think "I already understand that" so you kind of gloss over it. Then something happens in training, some epiphany and you say to yourself "Hey, wasn't that on Tony's tape"? Then I pull his tapes out and there it is, and I say to myself "Damn bastard! He knows too much!" LOL! I have a Blauerthon once a month. Let a few things sink in and do some training until the next Blauerthon. The knowledge on the vids are priceless. Thanks for sharing this info Tony. ausgepicht
menapace

Ausgepicht, I couldn't have said it better. Tony's tapes have so much info. that you can't take it all in at once. That's the beauty of them. Each time you watch it, you're watching it for the first time. I have been in a few unpleasant situations while working as a doorman over the years and EVERY situation whether it was physically or verbally difused can be found in one way or another on Tony's tapes. It's like he's giving you a "cheat sheet" for the test.
The RealStudent

I couldn't agree more about the depth of material on Tony's tapes. I haven't completed the ones I've got (BYOB package) because I get overwhelmed and have to go back over stuff again...and again...and again.... Coach, didn't anybody ever tell you about "Leave 'em wanting more?" :-) RS

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.