UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Luis, harness DVD

2/13/06 1:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GeeRoxx
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Feb-06

Hi Luis How's it going? I have had much success using the material taught in your harness DVD and I posted my feedback on another thread that I can't seem to locate right now. Anyway I had 2 problems that I hope you can help out with. The first problem is going from the front headlock position to the harness grip/side ride. Let's say I am locking up his head and right arm. I do the what you say and use my left knee to push his right elbow in so I can slide my left knee in by his right ribcage. I try and keep my weight on his back as I move around and transition, but sometimes the opponent does a sit out and escapes. Any other details you can provide to stop this from happening? My second problem is having the harness secure and you have either 1 or both hooks in and the opponent is in turtle. If the opponent will lean forward (ie lifting his ass off the floor like Gomi was doing to Penn) sometimes I will lose the chest-to-back position and slide off. I try and do the one arm choke, sometimes I am successful and sometimes I slide off. What detail am I missing? Great DVD again. Work well with the twister, banana split and calf crunch! If I can get these problems fixed I will have more chances to choke out the rest of my training partners ;p Thanks very much for your time.
2/13/06 2:33 PM
Mike Sweeney

Edited: 13-Feb-06 02:35 PM
GeeRoxx: I will offer my 2 cents until Luis shows up: In the first situation, before trying to spin to side ride, try breaking your opponent down more by separating his elbows from his knees. If his base is more spread out it will be difficult for him to sit out. As for the second situation, if I have someone's back I switch from the harness to a power nelson to break them down. Assuming you have his right arm inside, weave your left forearm in front of and then on top of the back of his head, keeping your hands linked. Then, apply pressure downward onto his head while lifting up on his right arm. This will cause him to fall onto his left shoulder. There is a small change in the position of your hooks to stay on the back when someone tripods up but I am not sure I can describe it too well. If I have both hooks in I move my body slightly to the left, pull my left heal to my butt while extending my right leg (foot flexed). I do this before I use the power nelson. Is that clear? This of course would be combined with maintaining a solid harness grip, and not committing your body too far up on his back.
2/13/06 2:44 PM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent points from Mike and much like what I would do. Other options... 1.) Work the fron headlock more to break them down. This can also be done by keeping one hand on thier chin and pulling them forwards and away from their hips. This will have them brace ahead with their arms and seperate their elbows from their knees. You can place plenty of pressure on the head and chein with a combination of the chin strap and your shoulder above their neck. 2.) You can release the hooks if the harness is secured and do a forward roll with pressure on their head and neck to force their role to follow yours. This will open their hips again and allow for better control. You can control the entire back from harness and just one hook if you triangle your legs around one of theirs. This has been what we have been playing with most recently. Here are a few ways to break up the turtle from other spots: http://www.onedragon.com/videos/soflotechs.wmv Hope this help a bit, -Luis
2/13/06 3:01 PM
GeeRoxx

Mike First off congrats on the promo man. I like that power nelson move. I will definitely try it out. I think you are right I am moving to high up his back. I think I understand what you mean about keeping the hooks in if he tripods up. It makes sense, I just have to to try it out. Thanks very much Luis 1) When you work the chin strap from the front headlock, do you release the front headlock and use one hand for the chin strap and the other hand controlling the arm, similar to what wrestlers do? 2) Is it a complete forward roll or do you angle off a bit? "You can control the entire back from harness and just one hook if you triangle your legs around one of theirs. This has been what we have been playing with most recently." Nice you can try the twister from there. Thank you guys very much. I must re-emphasize how much this DVD has changed my game. I am like a backpack now. Works well with MMA too!
2/13/06 3:33 PM
Mike Sweeney

Thanks GeeRoxx. :) Luis' description of how to break them down is exactly what I do (I think Matt showed me this): 1 hand on the chin, 1 hand behind the other elbow. Stay off your knees, keeping your shoulder pressed into the middle of their back. Drag their arms away from their knees.
2/13/06 3:45 PM
GeeRoxx

Thanks, Sean Geris was trying to show me this the other day. I have to just drill it more. How did you guys do at Omar's tourney yesterday?
2/13/06 4:01 PM
Mike Sweeney

Rebecca took first in women's absolute no-gi. It was only her and Amber in Gi. Rebecca lost that match by points. Coincidentally, she had Amber's back 3 times and lost position very similar to what you are describing. Amber, a judo black belt, did essentially a drop seonagi on her each time. One of our other guys Andre took Silver in men's intermediate heavyweight go and no-gi. I think my young guy Erik (16 yrs old) placed as well but it was hard to keep track. Our fourth guy Shawn fought in the advanced division and lost both his matches by points.
2/13/06 4:11 PM
GeeRoxx

Congrats Mike to you and your team. If Rebecca also comes up with any more details for the back please let me know in this thread. :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.