UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Question for any Capoeristas...

2/15/06 3:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Robkali
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Feb-06

My wife has trained for a couple of years now in Capoeira, but her group has more or less disbanded (long story) but I know how much she enjoys it. Are there any videos/dvds that have decent training and techniques on them for someone who has more than a little basic knowledge & skill? thnx in advance Rob btw, her group was affiliated with Capoeira Mandinga under Mestre Marcello Caveirinha.
2/15/06 10:02 PM
Amarelo

Edited: 15-Feb-06
It will be very hard for your wife to train capoeira alone since it really is about the roda. I would suggest to look for another group...where are you in California?
2/16/06 1:38 PM
Robkali

Edited: 16-Feb-06
The Kali part in my name refers to the Filipino martial art - I am in the Detroit area...
2/24/06 6:41 AM
gumby1
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Feb-06
No man, not really, as amarelo said, so much is about the interaction in the roda. Noone has yet perfected a tape to comprehensively cover capoeira. The Panther ones (apparently) are atrocious............... Surely there's another grupo nearby? Did her group fall apart comletely, or just break away from M. Caveirinha? He was out here a couple of years ago, very cool dude.
2/26/06 7:26 AM
Takedown
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Feb-06
Rob: Here's the best listing of Capoeira schools in your area that your wife may be able to check out: http://home.znet.com/capoeira_list. Copy and paste that link; then click on Michigan and it brings up a listing of different schools for you. Having trained in Capoeira, I know that different groups have different cordao systems, which can either be confusing or a pain in the ass. Reason being is because some Mestres do not honor other school grading systems, which causes a capoeirista to start over. I haven't trained in a while, but last I heard, Capoeira Mandinga was not doing well as a group. I know that Xango, Mandinguero and Berinjela had left Mestre Caveirinha. Apparently it was due to some things they did not believe were in the best interest of the group as a whole, and moreso, because of some inappropriate actions he as a Mestre should not have done. I don't know the whole scope of the matter, but those were two of his top students that had been w/him since they were little. I know they switched groups a few years ago, but do you know if that is why this group in Detroit disbanded? As far as training from tapes, I would check capoeira-shop.com and capoeiragear.com. although they aren't the preferable way to train, they may have some decent training tapes. as aforementioned, stay away from the panther tapes as they were made ages ago (circa 1994). muito axe, bigorna
2/27/06 1:53 PM
Robkali

Edited: 27-Feb-06
Thanks for th info... The Mandinga group is still here - such as it is - but there are underlying reasons why she (and several others) decided to no longer train with them.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.