UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> reflex drills

2/16/06 10:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tredecjai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Feb-06

i remember years ago back in the 90's tony showing me a reflex drill which he was using at the time for acclimation training for knife defence...it went as follows... you stand with your back to your opponent..and i think if iremember correctly you initiate the drill by turning to face him ...then he either thrusts or slashes at you with either hand. just wondering whether you guys have used or continue to use these reflexive drills and some comments on their results. for example i use a similar drill but i face the opponent with eyes shut. he commands open and then attacks with either hand which in turn i either catch, deflect or evade and so on. carry on gentlemen... dml
2/16/06 4:47 PM
ahlong

Edited: 16-Feb-06
Sounds similar to the Designated Hitter drill - a multiple opponent drill where you turn your back while a group of say 3 opponents decide who will initiate the attack, turning to face them and then responding to their attack. I love this drill - it forces you to react spontaneously because you don't know - you can't know - which opponent is going to attack you, and even moreso when the guy comes at you hard and fast. Trevor Wilcox
2/17/06 1:46 PM
JDDynamic

Edited: 17-Feb-06 01:47 PM
I participated in a similar drill to the reflex drill you describ at a session with Coach Blauer, but we faced the opponent. * Face your partner * Close your eyes * Have your partner adopt an aggressive stance as if he has initiated an attack * Open your eyes identify where threat is and adopt a flinch or NVP related to the blade threat (keeping in mind blade angle, single or double sided weapon, proximity, etc) * Add on the 3 C's (Clear, Control, Counter) as you get comfortable with the drill and appropriate to the threat) Anyone else have a reminder for how this drill was conducted, please add-in. Jason D. Herndon, VA
2/17/06 3:33 PM
tredecjai

Edited: 17-Feb-06
very interesting jason & trev but lets get to the second part of the question ....what type of response have you had from the training and what changes did you put in or variations to slow down the desensitising factor of the drill. example.. i added to the shut eye drill some word association like if the person presented a knife the trainee would shout out knife or gun and respond appropiately. works great when you have a group scenario and everyone gets instantly into a ready position (great for law enforcement or security.) to cut down the desensitising factor or in simple terms stop them getting use to the stimulus i introduced things which i call DRUNK& DISORDERLY .c. variables. these consist of getting the defender or defenders to point their finger to the floor and stare at a point on the ground..spin around as fast as possible..then stop. this causes them to be dizzy and thus simulates them being intoxicated or feeling punchy after being as call sucker punched. then their opponent attacks and inturn makes the drill really interesting and hard i tell you to function while disorientated. so what about you guys ?.....any innovations to add.
2/19/06 2:27 PM
nj2sj

Edited: 19-Feb-06 02:44 PM
A few years ago, I did a version of this drill with Coach Mike Suyematsu. There were four attackers, all in either high-gear or with body-shields. They stood about 1.5 ft away from me in a semi-circle encraochment pattern. My eyes were closed. When I opened, any one could attsck. As we progressed, more than one could attack. This was an unarmed drill, exploring the SPEAR priciples. It could easily be done with weapons. Here's the kicker: Before the drill, we discussed each others psychological and emotional triggers. What "got our goat", in other words. For some, it was racial slurs, others, it was talking trash about their mothers/sisters, etc. All of this was done in a consentual training environment with a safety coach. Whlie my eyes were closed, ALL FOUR of them went at it with a pure verbal attack. Now, as much as I realized these were "only words", and that this was not a real encounter that endangered me, the added psychological range put the realism of the drill through th roof. I could feel the tension mounting. It was a great window into the genius perception Tony has shared with us over the years regarding what three dimensional training is all about. Be sure that everyone is on the same page with this emotional-climate drill, they know what "being a good bad-guy is all about", and that the correct safety measures are taken. The more real it gets, the more easily it escalates. Be well, train smart, and stay aware, David Lepp PDR Rep.
2/19/06 2:29 PM
nj2sj

Edited: 19-Feb-06 02:30 PM
2/19/06 3:50 PM
tredecjai

Edited: 19-Feb-06
now were talking... good drill david and similar drills have been around for a long time we use to to take the drill you mention to the street at night for like 'reality night' sessions and the results were varied with some of the new guys responding better than the veterans at times due to the 'fear factor' being more real or new to them. so what results have you guys had with these types of drills... 1) Have they changed your perception of the attack or your defensive reponse... 2) How long did you train with these drills to achieve a desired result. my personal results added up to decreasing the time of the drills to around about 30secs or less to maintain that 'suddeness'principle and to keep it 'alive'. And to maintain the fear or anxiety level i made these drills a form of testing. ended up with great results..... so what about you guys ?....
2/20/06 8:56 PM
P

Edited: 20-Feb-06
For 'Reflex' Drills my favorite is designated hitter or the one Jason D. mentioned (in-motion). I've found a combination of those after going through the BMF formula really speeds up perception speed. When there is a weapons issue, taking some time to address the technology prior to the drill, tends to eliminate alot of psychological voids as well. My 2 cents, P.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.