UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Best Inexpensive Handgun?

2/16/06 1:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Alex
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Feb-06

What's the best gun to buy if you're on limited funds? For example $150. What about $250? Prefer an automatic, but a revolver is fine.
2/16/06 3:42 PM
Gossamer

Edited: 16-Feb-06
I am sorry to say but you get what you pay for. The cheap handguns usually fall apart on you just when you need them. That being said Taurus and Ruger make fine revolvers that are reasonably priced. http://www.taurususa.com/main/index.cfm http://www.ruger-firearms.com/index.html I would say that $250-$300 is about the lowest that ye can go and get a good fiream but sometimes you can get a really good deal. I bought a used S&W Model 10 for $200 and it shoots great.
2/17/06 11:01 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Feb-06
The CSPT
Only because of your cost limits I also say: http://www.taurususa.com/main/index.cfm Demi
2/17/06 8:36 PM
xsjadoroll

Edited: 17-Feb-06
I have a taurus ultra light model, .38 special. I think i picked it up around 250 a while back, but its a great gun for the money. Little 5 shot revolver i carry on my ankle, or i can just drop it in my pocket.
2/22/06 12:47 PM
Dark Knight
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Feb-06
Bersa Thunder. Its inexpensive but durable, about $300.00 Its a PPK Clone, I have seen it talked about on many forums and it has good reviews. Also look at CZ, they are in the $350.00 range. Taurus and Ruger, cant go wrong. www.gunbroker.com to get an idea on price.
5/2/06 7:05 AM
shovelhook

Edited: 02-May-06
I'm in that position as we speak, and am leaning towards a Makarov to get me by for a while. A CZ 52 is more powerful and Star BM is a compact 9mm 1911, but still there is something about the Mak, maybe it's legendary relkiability. 9x18 is not great or even adequate to most, but it will do for now, magsafes could bring it up to something to be comfortable with. I will never buy a gun again that I don't plan to keep, lost too much money doing that, I can see myself keeping the makarov and it filling a role even after I eventually purchase one or more better quality handguns. My last gun was a used Star Ultrastar I got for 200. Worked just fine with ball, didn't like JHP at all.
5/2/06 8:38 PM
psychoslasher

Edited: 02-May-06
My dad had a Makarov and despite all the rumors that I'd heard about it being a shitty gun; it was a very nice weapon! It was very accurate and reliable. I don't think he ever had a jam. The only thing is that you need to feed it pretty "hot" ammunition. If you feed it pussy loads, it is likely to jam. The hotter the ammo, the better it will shoot. Other than that, it was a fine weapon.
5/3/06 12:43 AM
krept
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-May-06
wow, i'm surprised people talked shit about the Mak. It's actually a super reliable weapon. Ammo selection for the 9x18mm Mak sucks, but I know at least J&G Sales sell good hollowpoints. People are most likely deriding the cartridge. My wife has had a Makarov for about 4 years or so. Hasn't had any failures yet. The DA trigger kind of sucks and the safety is a PITA... feels kind of clunky but damn, for the price it's tough to beat. Very easy to shoot otherwise.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.