UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> congrats to new SBGi black belt. .

2/16/06 1:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Matt Thornton
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Feb-06

I talked with Eric Hemphill yesterday when I got home, and I am happy to announce he finally recieved his black belt. Those of you who know Eric know this is a well deserved promotion. Eric is a beast on the mat. Here is a note posted in our members forum yesterday from Chris Haueter regarding Eric: "Greetings to all in SBG. First of all I would like to give my deepest, utmost congratulations to Luis Gutierrez on his recent achievement of black-belt in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu. I apologize for the late congrats, I've had difficulty getting onto the forum lately. Black belt is quite an accomplishment! I believe Rigan told me once to regard your black-belt as a new white-belt. Begin all over again; open my mind, explore new games. Nostalgic note: Back when I was an eager blue belt training with Rigan, he asked Bob Bass and me about going to wrestling and Sambo classes. My coach, my mentor – was interested in being a student! He wasn't going to show that his Jits was better (my kung fu betta); he went to learn what they had to offer! I was impressed with his humility to learn. I always tried to choose instructors/coaches with "open minds" In turn I have always tried to maintain a novice's enthusiasm towards the "alive martial arts". I emphasized this whenever and wherever I've taught, always roll with my students. SBG epitomizes this. A super HUGE congratulations to Eric Hemphill on a well deserved black-belt. Tom O. and Eric left L.A. yesterday, we had some great training. I currently train for myself (as often as I can – when I'm not teaching seminars) in Rigan's advanced class on Fridays. Exceptionally good black-belts are always in attendance. Ask Tom and Eric! I've discovered over the years that I must, MUST continue to train with my peers as well as my students – as I've learned that often the best learning is acquired through humility. There's nothing more humbling than the experience of having my body controlled and crushed by Rigan. Experiencing the expert execution of an effortless fundamental technique by him or one of the other black-belts in his class is an experience I wouldn't miss for the world. I was happy Tom and Eric got to experience this as well. Over time we rise to the level of our peers. I must continue to train with my own peers or my growth will become stagnant. I've made this mistake as well. I can't thank Rigan enough for all he's taught me. Rickson once told me –shortly after my first black-belt fight and victory (as he raised my arm up) – "Great fight. Welcome to the world of black-belt Ju-Jitsu." Train hard everyone. REMEMBER, GRAPPLE LIKE A MONKEY WHO THINKS HE'S AN ANACONDA! Matt - watch out for the Brits! They're getting tougher and tougher all the time. "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -HERBERT SPENCER Best, --Chris Haueter" www.straightblastgym.com
2/16/06 11:35 PM
kajukenbo2000
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Feb-06
I have to second the congrats to EROCK Hemphill. I had the pleasure to train with him for about 10 month in my garage about 2 times a week while he was living here in Hawaii. I met Eric from a fellow Deputy Sheriff. I have been training in BJJ off and on since 95' and I started with Egan Inoue. I most say I hadn't gotten a beatdown like I did from Eric in a long time. He truly has skills. He has mentioned the possiblity of opening a SBG here in Hawaii. That would be a great idea and he has the skills to do it. Congrats Eric, hope to see you again soon.
2/17/06 12:01 AM
Mike Sweeney

Edited: 17-Feb-06
A SBG in Hawaii? I would have to visit that one for sure!!! I am looking forward to training with Eric at Spring Camp next month. Mike
2/17/06 11:23 AM
jgibson

Yes! Congrats to Eric!
2/17/06 11:31 AM
KarmaJitsu

HUGE Congrats to Eric and Luis!

SBG is AWESOME!

Any plans on SBG in Clearwater, FL area??

2/17/06 1:09 PM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Karma, Quite a few Floridians coming down to train with us and a few with ATG on their mind but nothing yet. -Luis
2/18/06 9:58 PM
mandalalisten

Edited: 18-Feb-06
Eric's game is sick. Plain & Simple. Dave Copeland

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.