UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Cold Steel knives any good?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/22/06 1:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Alex
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Feb-06

What is the general consensus on the quality of Cold Steel knives? I used to think they were high end, but now I'm not sure. I've noticed that many of their folders don't have a metal liner, and that they're held together with rivets instead of screws. But you can get sometimes them cheap from Cold Steel sale flyers, for example, 3 Ultimate Hunters for $75.
2/24/06 9:04 PM
sreiter
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Feb-06
i love them - i own 5 - like them better then my benchmade
2/25/06 2:51 PM
saint39

Edited: 25-Feb-06
I think they make good stuff, but they use high carbon steel. High carbon steel rusts easier. We were issued their SRK in training, and it rusted like crazy when exposed to saltwater. If you are talking folders for carry, then no prob. But unless you are the type to pull out your knife every few days and clean it, I wouldn't get a fixed blade for hunting or whatever.
2/26/06 9:46 PM
Alex

Edited: 26-Feb-06
Cold Steel better than Benchmade?? I got several medium Cold Steel Voyagers for $20 apiece but returned them anyway. They just didn't feel sturdy. The Ultimate Hunter seemed good though. But who can afford a $100+ Benchmade? Not me... A friend recommends Columbia River knives: http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10browse.asp?category=CRKT%20Knives
2/27/06 1:05 AM
psychoslasher

Edited: 27-Feb-06
Cold Steel knives are the best on the market for the price. I own several and never had any trouble with any of them. The Voyager may not feel sturdy but it's a strong knife! I've owned Benchmade in the past but would never trade any of my Cold Steel knives for any knife made by Benchmade.
3/3/06 3:02 PM
sreiter
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Mar-06
alex you must have gotten bootlegs - the cheapest voyager is like $60 -
3/6/06 11:07 AM
Alex

Edited: 06-Mar-06
sreiter, Believe it or not, they were legit. Cold Steel runs two big sales each year with an especially generous discount if you buy in quantity. For example, I got three Ultimate Hunters for $25 apiece, straight from the factory, first quality. http://www.coldsteel.com/61lps.html I would have kept the Voyagers if they had a liner and used screws instead of rivets. I liked the Ultimate Hunters and kept them. What Cold Steel models do you have?
3/9/06 10:53 PM
sreiter

Edited: 09-Mar-06
alex - i know about the parking lot sale still a very good price - 2 three inch voyagers 1 five inch voyager 1 five inch and 1 seven inch vaquiero 1 5 inch semitar 1 bushmaster a couple of delta darts
3/14/06 2:50 PM
Alex

Edited: 14-Mar-06
That's a nice collection, sreiter. And that's not even including your Benchmades I think. One of these days I'll get a Benchmade too if I get ahead financially.
5/2/06 6:56 AM
shovelhook

Edited: 02-May-06
I love CS, my favorite knife company, actually fave weapon manufacturer. Nice wide array of weapons. I wish they made a Gladius, bring back their Warlord and Shillelagh, stag handle trailmaster. I've owned the Recon Tanto(Japanese), Kobun, and Safekeeper 2(best bladed weapon I ever owned). Plan to purchase many other of their knives, and other items (to be honest there are few items they make that I wouldn't love to own, even stuff that I have no use for like the Pole Axe). Best knives for the money, around. I think my next EDC(not in public though) will be the 5" clip point Voyager, plain edge cause serrations are a bitch to resharpen. Want to pick up the Boar Spear or Assegais, the trail or norse hawk, etc. I love the Tai Pan and have seen it at an affordable price on ebay.
5/2/06 11:45 AM
Alex

Edited: 02-May-06
A friend showed me his collection of Benchmades, Cold Steels, and Spydercos and I was suprised to see that there wasn't that much difference. I?m starting to get over my inferiority complex from not having a Benchmade. I can see they?re good, but not that much better. The Spydercos seemed about the same quality as CS, and I wouldn?t be surprised if some are made in the same factory in Japan. Although there were many cool-looking knives, like the CS AK-47, many of their handles weren't comfortable. My impression is that modern knives seem to be made for aesthetics first, ergonomics second. A Wiseman told me that the two most important things when selecting a knife are: how well it can be justified in court, and how comfortable it is to wield.
5/3/06 12:54 AM
krept
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-May-06
i don't mean this as a disagreement at all. Mick Strider (former ranger), the guy behind Strider Knives had a good one that I quote all the time. Makes me laugh my ass off even to this day: "Ergonomics have only a very small place in my heart. Let me quantify that. Ergonomics on tactical (Oops) WAR knives, have no place. Here's why: During high stress, fine motor skill is destroyed. I see all these "knife fighters" looking for blades that feel so great in your hand, you would think it was their cock. Now...lets insert stress... go run a mile at a six minute pace, let me punch you in the face a few times, and finally, Ill kick you in the balls. At this point, the last thing you want is your dick in your hand. You want a chunk of blade that is locked in. Period. Weather its land warfare and your about to have your ass handed to you because you need the ammo in that air drop, or CQB and (bummer) you've made the transition to knife...or...your ass is in a jam on the subway...it doesn't matter. Comfort is not a thought. Rock solid grip is everything. Who gives a shit about a hot spot on your hand. My 1911 isn't ergonomic either. It's a big chunk of death. That's why it work so well." ------ I stayed out of this since the beginning for a reason. I've talked to Mick a couple times and he inspired me into making knives and he's a rock solid individual. Lynn Thompson, the guy behind Cold Steel, helped fund a PI that did research about Mick to drag his name through shit. Not mud, but shit. They even posted the address where his kids are living with his ex-wife to people they didn't even know. Mick is such a cool cat that he just told them how much that sucked and left it at that. People who have changed their names a couple of times wanted to get work done and he told them to stand down. I have a couple CS knives because I bought them when that is all I could afford. I later bought a Strider that I actually couldn't afford and wouldn't be able to now because of Mick. I don't blame the tools, they work, I guess... but that fucker... and Tim Tang, the guy behind Maxpedition... ain't gonna get another cent of mine because of the spineless crap they pulled. bastards.
5/3/06 11:31 AM
Alex

Interesting, though I'm not fully convinced that ergonomics is unimportant. For exmaple, look at the CS Ultimate Hunter and its great handle: http://www.coldsteel.com/61lps.html That'll stay secure and locked in your hand when things get rough. Compare to some of those modern-looking modern knives with trendy handle designs, for example, Spyderco's Yojimbo. http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/yojimbo.htm Maybe that guy is right, but I'm just not sure.
5/3/06 4:28 PM
krept
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, i just threw that in there because it made me laugh my ass off. again, ergonomics are going to be important (in my opinion) when you are doing the normal shit people do with knives, especially if it's repetitive. that was more from a combat perspective... not like war but self defense and that's all you've got as a tool.
5/14/06 7:46 AM
shovelhook

Edited: 14-May-06
Just got the new catalog, looks like they dropped a lot from their product line. Added some new stuff, started using AUS-8 on some knives that were 440.
5/16/06 12:35 PM
Alex

Edited: 16-May-06
Anyone seen their large Ti-Lite with a 6" blade and a 7" handle? 13" inches total! I just saw one and I must say that is one fun knife, more like a mini sword really! I can't think of any use for it, but I sure would like one to play with.
5/28/06 6:12 PM
sreiter

Edited: 28-May-06
krept - balicki defends lynn alot - if balicki says lynn is a good guy, i gotta believe him - what is your proof lynn did shit to strider?
5/29/06 5:15 AM
mrarmbar2you
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-May-06
more drama, lol. I've met Mick and I like him. I've met Sreiter and I like him. I've read krept's posts and I like him. now lets get a bunch of naked chicks together, throw in some jello, vegetable oil, and knives.
5/29/06 10:04 AM
sreiter

Edited: 29-May-06
lol
5/30/06 6:15 PM
krept

Edited: 30-May-06
Well, ask Ernest Emerson about his feeling towards Lynn :). Actually... he and Mick will probably be too professional and cool guys to say anything at all... water under the bridge and shit like that. Anyways, this is straight from Mick: "So anyway?.if you have not seen what they sent out, which im sure most of you have by now?it was a big fat list of stuff about me?.and for some reason some other guy who went to prison?.i guess it makes me much more worserer if I know other bad guys?.im not sure?.my morals are askew? If i remember it all?.i don?t have it right here?.it was a cool looking ?Investigation? report, that i hope didn?t cost much cause that fucker was VERY badly done?(Though Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel Knives DID in fact donate money for the investigation. i heard it was $10,000 but Lynn wont return my e-mails so i can?t be sure of the amount). I find it strange about Lynn. Not that I think he is above it, much like Kevin, Lynn attempts to sell his own product by talking shit about more popular gear. (loser) What I find strange is that the investigation was in fact instigated by Chris Osman of TAG Assault Gear." that is a direct quote. The amount of top tier knifemakers and professional operators that not only call Mick friend, but also support him 100% is impressive and I've only seen the tip of the iceberg because it's not a "cool" thing but a real-deal friendship thing among individuals whom value their privacy. Imagine someone pulling this shit on Steve Slawson, Pat Rogers, Larry Vickers, etc. It would be laughable if it weren't so fucked up. Who is this "baliki" guy? Ask him if Lynn did this and if he says he didn't then I guess we can go from there.
5/30/06 6:20 PM
sreiter

ron balicki is dan inosanto's son-in-law total bad ass martial artist - you can go to his web site ronbalicki.com
5/30/06 6:27 PM
krept

Agree with the women/oil/knives angle. Have the party outside of of CA and we can have firearms too. ;) cheers
5/31/06 8:12 AM
sreiter

Edited: 31-May-06
krept - i will, but it's still pretty much mick just claiming he "HEARD" lynn donated money to the investigation -
6/4/06 11:33 PM
forsaken

Edited: 04-Jun-06
I believe Tim Tang and the guy from Mad Dog Knives all admitted that they kicked in money with Lynn to fund the investigation. Tim Tang really shot himself in the foot with that move. His gear is being boycotted all over the place. Cost himself thousands of dollars.
6/5/06 3:28 PM
krept

Edited: 05-Jun-06
do you know why TAD Gear is still selling it? After the BS flew, I thought they were still under some kind of contract but they keep selling his stuff and I mean... they are close with Strider, so I just don't get it. what really sucks is that Tim still snipes Mick on Kevin's forum. He was talking about the paracord wrap being made in Mexico and I laughed and asked if the stuff from Taiwan (where Maxpedition is made) was better. he had to explain that he was always up front about where his stuff was made, some people never knew.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.