UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My Pride thoughts

2/27/06 8:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Feb-06

Somehow one of the turdiest Pride cards in memory ends up being a fantastic night of fights full of surprises -- not just upsets, but great shows of toughness by guys you wouldn't have thought had it. I was very impressed by the boxer guy who fought Hunt in what was the fight of the night for me. If it weren't for the 100lb weight difference, he would have won, I think -- even so, some of his shots clearly fazed the ordinarily un-faze-able Hunt, and he took Hunt's best shots for 15+ minutes before going down. It was nice to see someone slip punches so well in MMA. This fight was great fuel for the boxing fans in the eternal argument of how well great boxers would do in MMA. TK/Sperry -- fantastic for TK, but I feel bad for Mario. He was so close to getting a nice KO win, but got caught up in the brawling mentality and got nailed. Rampage/Yoon -- who would have thought a guy Sakuraba KO'd in seconds would go the distance with Rampage and nearly armbar him? Rampage NAILED him several times, with punches, knees, and stomps, and the guy just kept coming. Rampage needs to amp up the aggression -- the few times he cut loose he nearly finished Sik, but then would back off. He just doesn't throw enough punches. Why doesn't he train with Bas? They are obviously good friends, and I think he would benefit enormously from Bas's teaching. Nog/Tamura -- pretty lame, an absolutely foregone conclusion. Rizzo/Zentsov -- wow! Kharitonov/Overeem -- wow! NEVER saw this coming. Brutal, brutal domination. Kharitonov was over-rated imo -- I always thought the claims that he had the best chance of beating Fedor were ridiculous -- but I never expected him to get crushed like that (yes, I know he was injured by the takedown). Coleman/Shogun -- nothing really to say. The fight didn't tell us anything about either fighter or where they stand relative to each other -- we knew Coleman would get takedowns, we knew Shogun would be aggressive either standing on the ground. The after-fight hijinks were the highlight. Einemo/Werdum -- honestly, I was bored by this fight and fast-forwarded through most of it. Overall, good stuff. Now to count the days until BJ/GSP!
2/27/06 8:15 PM
jacktripper

"The fight didn't tell us anything about either fighter or where they stand relative to each other " yes it does
2/27/06 8:30 PM
Kostakio
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was surprised that Sergei couldn't gain guard especially when Overeem let loose with the knees in the beginning (prior to the onslaught of knees at the end). It seemed as though he was squirming like a first-time grappler when sidemounted. Weird.
2/27/06 8:39 PM
orcus

"I disagree with Kharitonov being overrated, maybe he cannot beat Fedor, but he is good." Well, that's really all I meant. He is good, but I never saw anything to make me think he had a shot at beating Fedor, much less more of a shot than Crocop or Nogueira. As for Sergei/Nog, Nog at least matched him standing, took him down several times, passed his guard, got mount, landed some knees from side control, and had a couple sub attempts. It was a clear win for Nog imo. Like krycek pointed out, Nog has only finished two fights with strikes in his career (one over an MMA rookie, one over a greatly out-sized Kikuta), so anyone with good ground skills has a decent chance of making it the distance. Also, Nakamura/Barnett -- pretty much a foregone conclusion. Nak was tough and slippery as usual, but didn't have much of a chance. Barnett looked in great shape for him and his punching looked great. "yes it does" Whatever.
2/27/06 9:31 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I havent seen it, first off but... If Sergei was injured off a takedown like Shogun was, why does Overeem get credit for beating down a done fighter and Coleman was just a fluke? TK/SPERRY: Too bad we didnt get to see them roll but MMA is MMA. "...but got caught up in the brawling mentality and got nailed." I think credit then must be given to TK for weathering a storm and Sperry showed a bit of bad decision making perhaps for such a veteran but he went for it and almost got it so he should get credit for that too. RAMPAGE/YOON: I think this goes to show that the judo guys they are bringing in are just fed to the wolves far too early without actually having time to develop their MMA game slowly without having to fight the game's top guys off the bat. Rampage did show his usu. badass beatdown game vs. Yokoi so I wouldnt say he's totally lost his mojo but its kinda hard to tell where he's at. RIZZO/ZENSTOV: Its still possible that Rizzo has a good fight or 2 left in him but its also sadly evident that he's just further lost the touch. Wonder how Zenstov will pan out from here? BARNETT/NAK: Nak seems to be stuck in second gear. He's always game, scrappy, goes for it but just hasnt seemed to bring his game to the next level for a while now. He's been fighting top guys all the time and he's usu always in the fights but he's had enough fights that he should be showing some more improvement imo. Sure, Nak was expected to win and maybe he just went for it and got caught for it but he got submitted by Barnett when CC got the better of Barnett on the ground. Or perhaps Barnett is finally letting the ring rust go and coming back to where he left off. I always thought Barnett was one of the guys to give Fedor a good fight because of his rounded game but the time off had to have hurt. I dont think this fight can say too much for either but shows there is still a chance for Josh to make a run imo.
2/27/06 10:05 PM
supercan
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Hunt: This was a GREAT fight! I agree that it was really refreshing to see a good boxer in there. That is what striking is supposed to look like. Not like a bull just moving forward with their arms like pistons. I don't think Hunt was phased, just gassed. The fight could have been stopped sooner. That guy took a beating. TK/Sperry -- I agree with you. TK took an absolute shot from Sperry, but beat him at the little brawl game he was playing. Rampage/Yoon -- These types of things happen all the time where one guy beats a guy quickly and someone else decisions them. Everyone questions why a seemingly equal or lesser fighter could beat them faster, but that doesn't really say much to me. RAMPAGE WAS HURT! I posted about this and didn't get much response, but when Rampage exits the ring and walks to the back he seems like his back or ribs are hurting and he's trying to hide it. Nog/Tamura -- What was this fight? Did anyone seriously think that Tamura had a snowball's chance in hell? Rizzo/Zentsov -- Just goes to show that the supposed great strikers of MMA are not good boxers. Rizzo might as well have tied his hand behind his back when he threw that leg kick. It's fundamentals, man. You can't drop your hands like that. Kharitonov/Overeem -- I thought Sergei was a machine and a legitmate threat to Fedor. I still think that. I re-watched that fight and I think that guy might be the toughest dude on planet earth. If you watch the takedown in slow-mo you can see what happens to his shoulder. Then, through the whole fight he is trying to pop it back in when he's not getting pounded on. Unbelievable display of heart. Overeem is legit at heavyweight. He has the perfect frame for the heavier weight and I think will actually do better at HW. Coleman/Shogun -- Shogun will get beat for his over aggressiveness and his sloppiness. He's good, but he's young and needs to mature. He has the potential to be great. Coleman got a gift, but it's a legit win. Good for him. Einemo/Werdum -- I agree. Kind of a boring fight. I don't know why, though.
2/27/06 10:07 PM
The Avalanche

didn't realize Zentsov beat Sakara
2/27/06 10:09 PM
PAX

Give credit to Nakamura... probably one of his more exciting fights. He made a strategic error while in a dominant position (I also think he was cowed by the fact that he had to fight Barnett) and gave a decent fight against someone who outweighed him and was a lot bigger than him. Barnett looked be moving better than in his previous fights but I think he should prep a little more before challenging Fedor cause he's gonna get lit otherwise.
2/27/06 10:13 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually think Nakamura could be "better" if he wasnt more "exciting." Like trying to box too much with Silva, jumping the gun on his sub attempts on Igor...but thats why i dont understand why people would say he's boring.
2/27/06 10:15 PM
PAX

Wonder how well a Zentsov would do in the UFC. Arlovski owned him back in the day but it seems like training with Fedor seems to be a positive for him b/c all he kept doing at the end of the fight was pointing to Fedor while Fedor was lifting Roman's hand.
2/27/06 10:18 PM
PAX

Probably true. SPOILER.... Nakamura attmepting that foot stomp/ kick while having a sidemount pretty much screwed him up. His corner should have told him how much time he had left or he should have known. Should have used that sidemount position on Barnett to do some damage to Josh and rack up some points before going for the soccer kick b/c soccer kicks aren't always as effective as they're made out to be.
3/7/12 2:28 AM
Neil McCauley

perspective
3/7/12 3:25 AM
UGCTT_JTA420
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.