UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Anyone here Shoot Sporting Clays?

3/8/06 11:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack_Burton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Mar-06

I did a 2 hour private sporting clays lesson with a guy in my area who is #4 in the nation right now. Talk about a humbling experience. I always thought of myself as a resonably good winged shooter. We did two rounds of 20 stations, with two pulls on each station. I maybe, and I mean maybe shot about 45%. This was at a place called Quail Run. Anyone on here do much sporting clays? I have some questions.
3/8/06 5:41 PM
Jack_Burton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hello? anyone?
3/8/06 10:49 PM
Aaron Little
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope. Looks like it could be enjoyable though.
3/9/06 8:52 AM
rayfloro

Edited: 09-Mar-06
I do Olympic Trap Shooting........my first dozen (or more) attempts were a pityful sight. But like with anything.....doing it continuously does improve results. You will find that at first.....those damn clay targets are FAST, but after a while, they do "slow" down. Keep both eyes opened
3/9/06 9:30 AM
Willybone
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do skeet with my grandfather whenever I visit.
Back when I was a hippy freak teenager, we learned that skeet was the one activity we could totally bond over. He introduced me to all his WW2 buddies he shoots with, and they flat out asked me if I was a fag because I had an earring. They definitely didn't like me.
Then, I hit 19 out of 25 on our first round together, and I've had an open invitation to shoot with them ever since then. They used to shoot at Fort Ord, but now they've got a Carmel Gun Club going that's pretty nice. Last time, I brought my 4'8", 100lb sister-in-law and made her shoot 12gauge, which was a frickin' riot, but she did quite well.

Shotguns=Family Time
3/9/06 11:36 AM
e. kaye

I used to go all of the time when I lived in London. I went to the Holland and Holland shooting school. I was fortunate to have two of the best teachers in the world. Ken Davies and Andrew Perkins. Since I moved back to New York I have rarely shot, but I recently bought a weekend home near a course, so I am about to buy a Beretta and get back into it. I went two summers ago to the Equinox in Vermont and shot. I broke at least 75% of the clays and the teacher was amazed as I had not shot in at least 10 years. I told him who my teachers were and it just goes to show how inportant the basics are. If you are taught right and practice, ingraining them, they never leave you.
3/9/06 1:13 PM
yasonf

Edited: 09-Mar-06 01:24 PM

I shoot international skeet, olympic trap, sporting clays and most anything with a shotgun.  I shoot whenever I get a chance which isn't that often.  My dad shoots way more than me, probably 3-4 times a week.  It's his hobby.  He's been doing it for almost 30 years.  He travels up and down California to go to Int'l Skeet and Bunker Trap tourneys.  He also goes to the national shoot and around the USA for different shoots as well.

3/9/06 2:34 PM
Jack_Burton

do you guys shoot auto's ? The guys I took the class with shoots a Browning Gold trap, and swears buy it. I am thinking of buying a new Citori XT trap. How important is an adjustable comb to you guys? Not sure if I want another over under or to go with an auto. I am splitting a heap of .12 guage with 2 other shooters, 20,000 rounds or so. I think we are playing less the $4 a box with that big of an order. Going to shoot a heap of sporting clays this summer instead of my normal shooting. My wife is even thinking about shooting with me. Just thinking it will be a pleasant way to spend my summer mornings.
3/9/06 3:48 PM
yasonf

I shoot an over/under.  Autos are fun though.  Most competitive shotgun shooters use o/u because most feel that they can get the second shot off faster with the o/u rather than wait for the action to cycle on an auto. 

Adjustable comb is good if you are a newbie (I know you aren't), or don't know what dimensions of a stock you use.  I think it has taken my dad 10 years to actually find out the exact specs. of his stock.  Also, I think he has two specs, one for bunker (gun already mounted on shoulder), and one for Int'l skeet (mounting the gun from waist high).  I see nothing wrong with an adjustable stock, that way, when you get older and fatter with age, you can always use the same shotgun and just adjust the stock to fi you or anyone else.  Most competitive shooters don't like the adj because 1.) they already know their stock dimensions and have had a stock made to their specifications, 2.) they like the seamlessness of the non-adjustable stock (being the shotgun isn't just a tool, it is a piece of art (most of their shotguns are 1-5k Perazzis..etc).

I think that the o/u, if you buy a quality one, will have better resale value in the future.  A really nice o/u can look like a piece of art, while autos can just look like tools..in my opinion.

3/9/06 4:08 PM
Jack_Burton

thanks appreciate your thoughts. I always end up having work on the stock done either way. But then again the price of the work is almost the difference from adjustable and not. I prefer over and unders for a lot of reasons, but a gold is less than 1/2 of the price of a citori xt.
3/9/06 4:29 PM
yasonf

Jack, quick question.  I've been reading your comments on threads about pistols and I agree with 99% of what you say.  My question is what type of a pistol would you or your dad recommend for a LEO to carry as his duty weapon?  First shot would probably have to be double action, so a single action gun like the Browning hi-power would be out of the question.  Any recommendations?
3/9/06 4:31 PM
e. kaye

I like O/U. And I had my measurement made at H&H.
3/9/06 4:50 PM
Jack_Burton

thats a hard one to answer without knowing more about you Dept. As far a double action, I guess the USP in .45. Again assuming that a gun is on your approved list. I guess this is a case where Sig is good fit as well. I'll drop that buy my old man and see what he suggests as well.
3/9/06 5:06 PM
yasonf

It would be for LAPD.  I think most of the guns that are the approved list are Glocks, but I just wanted to see what you would recommend.  I'm thinking of a Para LDA..if it is approved.
3/9/06 10:41 PM
sreiter

yason isnt the kimber lapd approved? i think the para is as well - other LA area depts carry them -
3/10/06 11:35 AM
yasonf

Edited: 10-Mar-06

I don't know.  I'm not on the force...yet.  Just trying to get all the research stuff out of the way while I have some time.

I think the Kimber is approved only for SWAT.  I think that most depts don't want their officers to have a gun cocked and locked (1911 style), they would prefer something that is DA first ala sig or something DAO, or something like the Glock.....which sucks, cause I love the 1911 style pistol and the hi-power.

3/10/06 10:59 PM
Aaron
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Mar-06
archive this thread - first ever with sreiter and burton on a thread with no OG gun experts spouting off info they learned online/video game/hollywood. This thread motivates me to call an old buddy who competes semi-locally and gave me an open invitation to hang out and learn. problem is the only shotgun i have now is my benelli m3. not only would they laugh at me when they saw it, but they'd have good reason to after i usedit.
3/11/06 12:32 AM
yasonf

Edited: 11-Mar-06
There is just something great about being out on the field shooting sporting clays or skeet or trap with your buddies. It just "feels" better/fun/differnt as compared to shooting pistols...to me. Someone said that sporting clays is golf with a shotgun. Fun stuff. If any of you haven't tried shotgun shooting, you should. Even if you suck. It is a good time.
3/11/06 3:21 AM
Aaron
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Mar-06
i agree, even though i've never done any organized skeet or trap shooting, only with buddies having fun. still the best times i've had shooting anything, ever. we've ran out of clay pigeons and went to the case(s) of beer left in a friend's pickup and threw them up. i can only imagine how bad my form and reaction times are, but it's always the most fun eva
3/14/06 10:13 AM
Dark Knight
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Mar-06
I shoot American Trap. My dad bought me my first gun (Remmington 870, Bicenteial Model) in 1976. Monte Carlo stock, very nice. I moved up to a Remmington 3200 O/U. In American Trap you have only one shot unless its doubles (Two clay targets) I now own about 20 guns, but for Trap I love the 3200. The 870 collects dust, but has a special place.
3/14/06 11:08 AM
Jack_Burton

This would actually be sporting clays, so all stations are either report pairs or true pairs. Always 2 shots. After the suggestions on here, and I appreciate them all, I am going with : http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=008B&cat_id=013&type_id=128 My price should be about $2300 ish. Which means I will be selling at least one, maybe 2 1911's. I am going to get my wife a CZ 20 gauge over and under as well. Like AAron said, I am in amazement at this thread. No one has yet acussed me of being a 1911 fan boy, or something.
3/14/06 12:45 PM
yasonf

Jack, nice choice.  Especially the one for the wife.  Sporting clays is definitely a "bonding" sport.  Like weekend golf with the guys.  Jeeze, I sound like a romo.  Anyways, it should be a good time with the wife.

On another note, last night I shot a pistol for the first time in about a year.  Great feeling.  My Para P16 was flawless and gave me some great groups. I am definitely getting back into pistol shooting.  I'm going to the range at least 2 times a month.  Problem is, that I want a new gun too!  Sorry, about the thread hijack, I just wanted to share my happiness about shooting last night.

3/14/06 1:36 PM
Jack_Burton

Edited: 14-Mar-06 02:07 PM
I love Para's. I have seen some Para's built so nice. In fact Srieter on here was getting around to having a Para built by Rocky Mntn arms. Dont remember if he did or not though. My pops favorite gun is his Para. He built a second one as close to the first as he could be liked it so much. yasonf, if you get a chance, head out to Denver for a weekend and we'll do some pistol shooting with us. Aaron better be getting his ass out here this summer as well. I am really looking at sporting clays as a very Golf like endavor. Get up early on Sat/sun morning, head out, shoot 1-2 rounds of 100, come home and have a relaxing day. The whole day will cost less $100, for me and my wife to shoot.
3/14/06 1:59 PM
yasonf

Paras are awesome.  My dad took a p14 frame and put a p12 slide on top.  Made it just like the Para Warthog, but +4 capacity.  An awesome little .45.

Jack, thanks for the invite.  I'll have to get out there one day.

Sporting Clays is so much like golf, especially when you get into side betting.

3/14/06 2:02 PM
Marc_Scott

Russian Judo
I love my Para P14, I have it customized, and it shoots great, I would prefer to shoot it than any other pistol.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.