UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Attn: Mr. Blauer, re: panic attacks

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LRC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

No, not your material by the same name. Well, maybe not. :) So much of your work revolves around fear management, I was curious as to whether you had any experience with spontaneous panic attacks (ie, other than those brought about by direct confrontation). Does any of your material relate, even indirectly, to this subject, or would you consider it outside the bounds of your system? Lee
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Lee, if you're talking about clinical anxiety and deptression related issues, I would rather direct you to professionals in the field. Though I will say that many have used my research and perspective to break through psychological obstacles. Concsidering all my audio tapes and my manual would cost a whopping $60, that a safe investment before exploring what could be very costly routes. Tony
ironmongoose

Some of the kinds of psychology used by Blauer are theoretically related to some of the stuff used in cognitive-behavioural therapy. I know you didn't ask, but for the record, for anyone reading, panic attacks (sudden, spontaneous bursts of anxiety sometimes associated with increased heart rate, trouble breathing, feeling hot or cold, tingling or numbness in the extremities, and/or fear of passing out or dying) are treated fairly effectively with a combo of cognitive therapy and an adequate (usually temporary) course of antidepressants. I'm curious--was it an intentional word-play? IM
Tony Blauer

"was it an intentional word-play? " WHere? T
djl

LRC, Have you checked out books by Dr. Claire Weeks, such as "Hope & Help for your Nerves"? If not, do. Hope this helps, djl
LRC

A few more details would probably be helpful. My wife suffers from anxiety and depression. Traditional counseling has proved ineffective, and drug therapies have done more harm than good. My own input (I have a BS in Psychology - the most aptly named degree in academia - and some counseling experience) has helped, but we've reached something of a plateau. I'm looking for a new approach, and your work in fear management (which I've been curious about anyway) seemed the next logical step. IM - yes, it's intentional. I refuse to take even serious subjects completely seriously. :) dlj - I'm not familiar with that one; I'll check it out. Thanks for the help. Lee
Tony Blauer

well, the tapes certainly can't hurt after what you've already explored. Also, call 1-800-515-1133, this is the phone support service for the Midwest Center for Stress & Anxiety. They have what looks like an excellent program. Worth a shot. They offer a unique home study course, somehting the two of you could work on as a team. Best of luck, seriously. Tony
ironmongoose

The "word play" comment was actually addressed to Coach Blauer regarding the name of his Panic Attack program. LRC, I'm sorry to hear about you and your wife's situation. Both therapies and meds vary widely. With meds, I can understand why you'd be wary of trying different stuff if you've had some experiences with really bad side-effects. For therapy, it should include basic education about the disorder, instruction in autogenic breathing, and modifying irrational, "catastrophic" cognitions that tend to precipitate the attacks. (For instance, seeing that she is able to bring the symptoms on by herself by hyperventilating. Realizing that she won't die, because after all that's what she thought every other time... and she didn't, now, did she? and that for that matter, she's very unlikely to faint, because her blood pressure is high, not low...) Sometimes depression and panic attacks appear to be related to traumatic stress, so sometimes therapy addresses that. If the attacks are linked to social phobia (as opposed to simply agoraphobia), that should be taken into consideration. Group therapy is nice because it helps to normalize, (and might cost less besides). Sometimes the stuff doesn't readily yield to treatment. My boss, a psychiatrist, seems to be able to help a lot of people who've had limited success elsewhere, because he's a particularly skilled therapist. So keep looking... By the way, he endorses the book, "Don't Panic". Which I haven't read, but have heard good things about. There's also "Mind Over Mood" and "The Feeling Good Handbook" that my supervisor uses. I'm just a novice therapist, so I'll only tell you what my supers tell me. It's a nasty illness, but I know you'll be more tenacious than it. It just takes longer with some people than others. Your wife has an awesome support and partner in you. Best, IM
taroson

Lee, My teenage daughter also suffers from depression. We have also done the drugs, counseling (individually and as a family). I would strongly advise you to follow your intuition and get, at minimum, Tony's 3 audios. Although it might seem strange, the PDR manual has also been a godsend. Much of the material is directed towards the inner battle we all fight before we can fight back (literally) against our enemies, real or imagined, internal or external. I'll bet with your education and background you will be able to benefit from the wisdom written there. Tony tends to communicate on several levels at once. Survival is survival and if you look for underlying principles, the PDR is a treasure trove. My daughter has made fantastic progress and at the moment off medication entirely... Self defense or defense of the 'self'; a fight is a fight. So you and your wife have to be warriors and ride the roller coaster understanding that there will be peaks and valleys as well as plateaus. In my family we have decided to fight back with any and all means and to, (I'm paraphrasing the PDR here) accept the situation, not give in to fear or the myth of perfection; To get challenged and take action. Goal, Action, Result. Evaluate, (not judge) and G.A.R. again. Feel free to email me personally at mikmatsu@softcom.net if I can be of any assistance. Best wishes to you and your wife. Sincerely, Mike
Robert Finlayson

Mike, That was nothing less than inspiring!!!!!!! Awesome post. Robb
spawise

Hi Lee, From my own experience about depression, I have found the field of NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming to be very helpful). If you could find a therapist who has knowledge of NLP I feel that this can help the both of you greatly. I don't believe in taking drugs to cure this illness, but that is just from my own observations (family member and friends), rather than any academic research. The book I felt that helped me understand this further is, 'Molecules of Emotion - By Candice Pert. This book describes how our Mind and emotions affect our body (good and bad). At the back of the book she lists a great number of complementary practitioners that deal with a wide range of complaints. I hope this helps, I wish the both of you all the very best, Michael. Oh by the way I agree with the others about checking out the Audio’s and the PDR manual, the information is amazing.
Glenn Sunshine

I've had my own struggles with depression. In my case, I had functional hypo-adrenia caused to a large measure by diet--specifically, intake of caffeine and to some extent sugar. I don't know what you think about chiropractors and specifically applied kinesiologists, but in my case they proved to be very helpful in finding a solution to depression (serendipitously, since I went to them for seemingly unrelated health issues). I hope I'm not out of line here sending this in. I offer it only as a possibility based on my personal experience. Yours, Glenn Sunshine
ironmongoose

Good point, Glenn. Panic attacks are typically diagnosed "by exclusion". The first thing a lot of people think is "heart condition", but there's a lot of hormonal stuff that can be worth checking out.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.