UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> The Future Of Self Defense

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gentle jim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

tom, you hit the nail on the head.you have to be willing to train hard and go all the way.by that i mean,do what you have to do to survive.this is what tonys training is all about.best of luck Mr prime. God bless gj
raptor_prime

As apparent in the latest Black Belt magazine's yearly review, "realistic" martial arts are finally becoming popular among those who practice the martial arts. This is obviously good because everyone should really know how to defend themselves, and not be fooled into thinking that if they can stop a lethargic partner with a rubber knife in class that it means they are ready for street self defense. What I'm wondering is, now that we've in effect "raised the bar" for self defense, does this put us at somewhat greater risk? Mr. Blauer has spent years pointing out how for years martial arts schools have been teaching unrealistic self defense techniques that only work in the dojo. He has shown us how point fighting and even full contact fighting do not provide us with the same "toolbox" needed for self defense. More recently, he has shown us how the Brazilian jujitsu craze and NHB sport fighting is STILL not real self defense, and by fighting outside the rules these individuals train within, it is possible to defeat them. But now it looks like everyone is getting into realistic self defense. Gouging, biting, attacking the groin, ballistic attack strategies. Does this not increase the likelihood we are going to meet someone who has trained in these techniques in the street (imagine meeting an evil Tony Blauer in a dark alley)? Or is it more likely that street thugs have always "trained" in street fighting and not in a sport or stylistic martial art so this new trend will not make defending ourselves any more difficult than it was before? I was just wondering.
Extreme Justice

raptor prime, My personal opinion, based on observation, is that the real dangerous bad guy out there has always possessed the physical tools. As Coach has said during his seminars, it is the LEO's and those serious about self protection who train realistically, within certain perameters, for the hypothetical fight. Whereas the genuine predator just goes out and does the act without having any limitations and boundaries imposed. My concern is that through Coach Blauer's system. we are able to understand the predator psychy a little better and as a result are able to beef up our psychological and emotional arsenals. These are the true benefits to studying this system and others which are true to themselves. Which brings up another problem. If there is a genuine interest in the reality self protection systems as they pretain to the martial arts community, i would believe that there will be an influx of organizations which will be passing alot of Tony's material off as their own. As this is a present problem which has been monitered to a certain extent, this might make that impossible to do and as a result, may be providing the students with false information and giving them a false sense of security. Just my thoughts on this. Sean
Tom Campbell

Raptor prime, Train harder than the bad guy! Study Tony's system and just train harder than the bad guy. Every one wants to break fighting down to a fire side chat. But the truth is you have to be willing to go farther than the bad guy is willing to go! And you only get that from proper hard training Later T.C.
Tom Campbell

Jim, Thanks! and nice post about Matt on the s&c forum. Anytime your in Ma. Drop me a line any friend of Matts is a friend of mine. Later T.C.
taroson

Raptor, Sean brings up some great points here. The bad guy has essentially always been training by doing whatever he is doing 'on the job'. When he attacks, he really attacks, in the real environment with real weapons and I think you get my drift. Mr. Blauer has been developing a system for over 20 years specifically aimed at learning to deal with what actually happens in the street. This process has evolved into an interconnected network of Fear Management, Performance Enhancement, Non-Violent Postures, Natural Stance Awareness, Panic Attacks, Cerebral Self Defense, The S.P.E.A.R. system and Ballistic Micro fights to name just a few. His system is in a constant state of evolution as it is continually updated to address what the Predators are doing NOW, today, as we speak. Tony teaches the 3D's for personal protection. They are Detect, Defuse, Defend. If you do your Detect and Defuse properly, the Defend will only occur 33% of the time, provided you fail in the first two stages. The real danger in the latest crop of 'reality based' systems is they fail to address the Mental/Emotional state...Some of these systems teach a kind of 'kick ass' mentality which further promotes the 'superman myth' that many people buy in to when they begin studying a martial art. This kind of mentality can easily get you killed in the street. Tony often tells us that the scenario dictates your actions. If you have no verbal toolbox, you aren't equipped verbally de-escalate a confrontation. If you don't have a complete emotional arsenal, the stress of the moment may cause you to panic and freeze. So whether you learn eye gouges, groin rips or whatever, all physical tactics are useless unless the mind is engaged. TCMS MAXIM "The mind navigates the body." Quote from pg. 10 of the PDR, "However, due to the lack of good information on fear management, fear, as we feel it, usually creates emotional inertia: your body's inability to move. Inertia or panic is created by psychological fear when the mind visualizes failure of pain. Understanding this process is necessary to conquer fear." … There are some things Tony will not teach Non-LEOs because he doesn't want to inadvertently give away any knowledge that might endanger these true warriors whose directive it is must move toward danger. Most civilians who learn and embrace the Detect and Defuse will rarely get to Defend, provided their attitude and lifestyle don't invite disaster. To sum up Raptor, someone who has seriously studied and embraced Tony's material will be far more likely to Detect and De-Fuse trouble before it happens. Walking and running away, depending on the circumstances is perfectly acceptable. If conflict is unavoidable then the Mental/Emotional/Physical arsenals are engaged synergistically with force paralleling danger. Unless you truly train holistically, the way Tony prescribes, it's quite possible that you (in the editorial sense, not you personally) will turn out to be your own worst enemy. Just my two cents, Mike
TKDFighter

When we speak of training, we must make sure that we are maintaining the "overkill" mindset. Remember this means that we are not training to literally apply overkill to our opponents, but instead we are training to outlast, outthink, and outmanuver our adversaries.

By keeping this mind set and applying the rest of Coach's material, we should theoretically always have an edge in the street over the common attacker that doesn't train.

Chris

Tom Campbell

I think that you misread my post. I am a man of few words But, You will plainly see that it said. PROPER TRAINING! Later T.C.
Eric Cobb

Beautiful Posts Guys! Raptor, This is a question that has long occupied my mind since I began in Tony's PDR program.I think that the answer to your question lies in what Tony terms the psychology of intimidation. The basic rule here is don't artificially make the bad guy worse than he already is by visualizing some superior level of skill. Basic TCMS street awareness revolves around the predator/prey mentality in that, irregardless of the skill level of the fighters, the outcome is determined far in advance of the actual physical encounter. In other words, if you decide that you will do whatever it takes to survive and then train appropriately (which is another book's worth of discussion in and of itself)the other man's skill can "remain a deep, dark secret." Ultimately, street survival has far less to do with our technique than it does with our heart, mind, tenacity, courage, fear management, and willingness to return violence for violence offered. As the old gunfighter once said: "It isn't enough to fast and accurate - one must also be willing." Hope this helps. Eric
domyancic

That was John Wayne wasnt it?
gentle jim

matt, i think clint eastwood coined that phrase. jim

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.