UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Bangkok University

3/23/06 8:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rare
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Mar-06

Im planning on going to school abroad in Thailand, at Bangkok University, www.bu.ac.th 

What are your opinions about getting higher education in Thailand? Does anyone else have experience with this university? Any way I can research the legitimacy of the degree?

Thanks in advance.

4/8/06 3:52 PM
jesada
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Apr-06
I haven't heard anything about Bangkok University. Chulalonghorn, Thammasat, Mahidol and Assumption Universities are among the best in Thailand. Mahidol has a lot of programs for foreign students. Just out of curiosity, why not study at a University in your home country and do a year abroad?
4/11/06 8:44 AM
OctaviousBP

Edited: 11-Apr-06
rare: What are you studying?
4/11/06 4:33 PM
jesada
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Apr-06
Octavius, Where did you train MT while in Thailand? I'm thinking of doing a camp full-time for a month when I get there.
4/13/06 11:09 AM
OctaviousBP

Edited: 13-Apr-06
I trained to fight at Lanna, and then with Pedro Villalobos for Muay Boran/Krabi Krabong afterwards. I spent a little time with Santo Devy (Nokwin's brother) in Pai, a nice little "gym" with one bag and a field. I thoroughly enjoyed Lanna, and would recommend it if you're going to be in the north. If in or near Bangkok, I hear nothing but good things regarding Kaewsamrit. When are you going to be there? I should be back in September for the year...
4/13/06 11:20 AM
jesada

Edited: 13-Apr-06 11:28 AM
Still waiting to hear from SSRC & Fulbright-Hays (GRRR) but I plan on heading out there in July or so for a year. There is some conference for Southeast Asianists in Singapore in July...maybe your department will spring for it. Thanks for the tips on Gyms. I'm thinking about going out in the middle of nowhere so i am forced practice my language too. Have a friend at Chula whose dad used to teach MT somewhere out in issarn (is now a pra). Going to see if he can reccomend somewhere too.
4/13/06 11:27 AM
jesada

Call for Papers

Singapore Graduate Forum on Southeast Asia Studies ASEAN Graduate Workshop

28-29 July 2006

4/13/06 12:20 PM
OctaviousBP

That conference looks interesting. Unfortunately, there would be no way I could make it there... financially or timewise. Are you submitting a paper? If so, what's it on? I'm working on social institutions as a vehicle for change in Thailand. It deals with the shortcomings of neoliberal development and the role that social institutions can play in disseminating ideas that are conducive to structural change. I formulate a difference between progressive and neoliberal ngos, the distinction being that progressive NGOs transcend isolated incidents of exploitation to address the systemic sources of the exploitation. In order to flesh out the system/structure, I use Robert Cox's concept of world order. It's a theoretical paper, but I would like to use some examples of actual NGOs that are working towards structural change. It's kind of difficult not being there. Plus, it's an exciting time to be analyzing the state/society complex with all that is going on... I'm particularly interested in the Santi Asoke, and their radical stance on development. D
4/24/06 3:56 AM
FightFan424

Edited: 24-Apr-06
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.