UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Spear fighting

3/23/06 8:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shovelhook
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Mar-06

I recently got the Cold Steel Proof 2 dvd's and found the spear fighting section very interesting. I never realized how effective a spear could be. In fact, I plan to get the long assegai and try it out. The dvd doesn't go into that many negatives of the spear as a defensive weapon; other than being a long range only weapon and requiring a backup in case of disarm, I really can't think of any, and it would seem with adequate space, a spear would own any other weapon save firearm. Seems also better suited to home defense than a tomahawk or sword, as you simply thrust forward or make more vertical slashes and chops. I found the wounds produced by the CS spears to be completely devastating with very little effort. I'm just wondering why the spear is not more prevalent given it's capabilities? Any thoughts?
3/24/06 7:09 AM
rayfloro

Edited: 24-Mar-06
I loved the way spears was deployed in the movie "The Seven Samurai". Taking peasants with no fighting skills whatsoever, and creating a fairly effective fighting unit (albeit a clumsy one) with just sharp bamboo spears. Not a bad concept
3/25/06 6:24 PM
psychoslasher

Edited: 25-Mar-06
Don't know how well a spear would do in close quarters like a house due to the lack of space. In the wide open field, like the front yard, they would be great. The problem with spears is that once you're inside, you are pretty much screwed.
4/20/06 6:13 AM
Steven Lefebvre

Edited: 20-Apr-06
Hello Guys, For many, many years the spear was the king of weapons in many cultures, primarily due to each reach, but also because it was very versatile and easy to teach at a basic level. The spear should be treated both as a bladed weapon as well as a staff based weapon, it also can be utilized in close quarter grappling situations as well. Of course like all weapons it has its limitations, it is still a fine thing to play with. Have you worked with the Naginata? Here is a clip from Sama Sama 2003 were a student and I were doing a short demonstration. http://www.bujinkandojo.net/PMultimedia/Naginata.wmv Train Hard it is the Way! Gumagalanag Guro Steve L. www.Bujinkandojo.net
4/20/06 5:46 PM
sta94

Edited: 20-Apr-06
An interesting article about an old-style of Japanese spear fighting: http://koryu.com/library/harmstrong1.html
4/22/06 11:23 PM
shovelhook

Edited: 22-Apr-06
Lots of good info, thanks guys, I'm definately buying myself a Long Assegai with my B-day cash.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.